Latest Posts

Topic: The tropical theme

OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 11:03

Wow, The tropical theme is great. Though, I would suggest few changes. I have tried to design a sample map and I see the muddy water to be too grey. I think some light yellow-grey colour would be much better the terrain should match to beach and reef better than. The light blue water comes to me already a little bit muddy. As for this light blue water, it comes to me already too light for a normal water. Already the desert water match perfectly to reef and to beach as well. I would suggest to do some darker green water instead. Something like desert or summer water but slightly more green.

Also, I would see mountains darker. The mountain 3 is good but should be the lightest one. I see the mountains 1 and 2 to be darker with some orange texture to match better to soil and also to desert mountains.

I am sorry for not being completely happy with such a great job. It is really nice.

Edited: 2021-05-30, 11:13

Attachment:
shot0028.jpg

Top Quote
Yo...
Version: 1.0 + 1.2
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 12:31

OIPUN wrote:

Wow, The tropical theme is great.

Thank you very much! face-cool.png

Though, I would suggest few changes. I have tried to design a sample map and I see the muddy water to be too grey. I think some light yellow-grey colour would be much better the terrain should match to beach and reef better than.

Maybe, but muddy water in reality comes in very different "colors" (from yellow-ish to grey to nearly black) and I tried to match something in-between or "neutral".

The light blue water comes to me already a little bit muddy. As for this light blue water, it comes to me already too light for a normal water. Already the desert water match perfectly to reef and to beach as well. I would suggest to do some darker green water instead. Something like desert or summer water but slightly more green.

I had something like the Caribbean Sea in mind (same for the very light tropical beach), as dark as the summer water would be too dark in my opinion. And I used more than enough green for the soil terrains face-wink.png And very close to the desert water would make the tropical water unnecessary, I think.

And of course the desert water matches perfectly to the reef, I guess Kaputtnik used the desert water for his reef. I wanted to make it a bit different, the desert water and reef matches perfectly as you already said face-grin.png Just use the desert water and maybe desert beach if you want to place reefs close to tropical terrains face-smile.png (but keep in mind: the tropical trees don't grow very well (or at all) on desert beach)

Also, I would see mountains darker. The mountain 3 is good but should be the lightest one. I see the mountains 1 and 2 to be darker with some orange texture to match better to soil and also to desert mountains.

Why should it match better to the desert mountains? I tried to make them different (and clearly recognizable and distinguisable from the soils), not nearly the same. The desert mountains don't match very well to the summer or wasteland mountains (my opinion), and nevertheless they are used together by some map developers.

Thank you for your opinion! I'll keep your suggestions in mind, but I want to wait for more opinions. I already have a small list of possible changes, but so far only for a better "look and feeling" (mostly dither_layer related), so nothing realy important.

Edited: 2021-05-30, 12:34

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 12:47

Yo... wrote:

Thank you for your opinion!

You are welcome. Maybe, I will try to realize my suggestion on my own to show what I have meant.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 13:26

Yo... wrote:

Thank you for your opinion! I'll keep your suggestions in mind, but I want to wait for more opinions. I already have a small list of possible changes, but so far only for a better "look and feeling" (mostly dither_layer related), so nothing realy important.

Regarding dither_layer i have completed and reworked the wiki.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Yo...
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 14:39

@kaputtnik
... but the dither_layer values might change (at least for water and beach), I will tell you if it is the case.

@OIPUN
I tried a bit around with the water terrain (not the muddy one). The image shows at first the "original" how it is now in the add-on, then the next two are new versions and the 4th image is the desert water for comparison. It's still light but I like it light ... ;)

What do you think? (and of course @all other readers: please tell us too what you think)

Edited: 2021-05-30, 14:41

Attachment:
water1_testOABD_00.png

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 17:04

I like the second one. The contrast makes the water more clear.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 20:28

Moved this topic to the new forum "Add-On's"

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Yo...
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-05-30, 21:54

OIPUN wrote:

I like the second one. The contrast makes the water more clear.

Yes, this is also my favorite; and I didn't change anything else than the contrast. I think I'll use this 2nd one. (I wait if something else is to change and do all of it in one update. Maybe in a week or so.)

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-06-21, 21:43

A change was just merged to master to fix issues with the same unit being declared by multiple add-ons.

All new units defined by add-ons need an additional attribute __skip_if_exists or __replace_if_exists, which defines how to proceed if a description of the same name was previously declared by another add-on.

Most add-on units already have these attributes; the Tropical trees still need it.

Top Quote