Latest Posts

Topic: Updated flatpak available

Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-08-23, 19:46

My technical knowledge is very limited, thus the more I am appreciating your hard work into it (so that the game runs good for all of us) and for also caretaking of the details - thank you, tothxa! face-smile.png

Top Quote
tothxa
Topic Opener
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-08-23, 23:30

Seefahrer wrote:

My technical knowledge is very limited, thus the more I am appreciating your hard work into it (so that the game runs good for all of us) and for also caretaking of the details - thank you, tothxa! face-smile.png

The hard work is not mine, I'm just packaging it for flathub. It's mostly just updating version numbers in the package definition really. face-smile.png

Top Quote
Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-08-24, 00:03

OK, but for someone like me who doesn't have a clue how to pack something into flathub, it would be impossible hard work, if it wouldn't be done by you (or others)! So for me it means a lot, as I can't do it by myself! But of course I see your point - thus also thank-you's to all guys who have done the things which you are packing into flathub! face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-02, 22:21

tothxa,
can you package current master for the tournament and provide me the git id of the commit to announce the version for the tournament.

Top Quote
tothxa
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-02, 23:40

hessenfarmer wrote:

can you package current master for the tournament and provide me the git id of the commit to announce the version for the tournament.

Yes, I was planning to do it. I have a dilemma though, because I wanted to upgrade the runtime to this year's newly released version, but it does not work on my system. I'll try to test it on another laptop with some other distro, and decide whether to revert the upgrade for now. I'd still like to make the final release with the current runtime, but we had changes during last year's tournament too, so there should still be some time to come up with a fix.

In any way, I'll commit the updated manifest tomorrow evening so that the final package can get on flathub-beta on Sunday.

As for the version, I don't think we'll have another translation update until then, so I may keep the one I prepared yesterday 1.1~git25862 (cdb5ccf@master) or use today's 1.1~git25863 (4ab3330@master) which removes some translatable strings. Which one would you prefer?

Top Quote
Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-09-03, 07:22

I don't fully understand the technical details, but if it would help to have some more time to work on it, maybe it could be an option to postpone the start of the tournament for a second time for e.g. 2 weeks or so? I can only speak of myself, but I could hardly imagine that anyone could have something against it? Also, WorldSavior said that he has not that much time in the next weeks, so maybe a later tournament start would also fit that way. Plus, due to the first postponement of the tournament, we now have won 50% more players (6->9), so there would be of course no guarentee but a chance that in case of a second postponement we could have in 2 weeks or so even more participants (or not). Anyhow, this were just thoughts coming to my mind, but of course I don't want to advertise/campaign for it. If for various reasons postponement would not be an option and thus tournament would start tomorrow I would also fully understand it and of course it would be fine for me. (It was just a suggestion, as I thought that if Widelands has been developed since more than 20 years, giving a release candidate development version 2 more weeks or so before a tournament wouldn't matter for the tournament, but would maybe help the developers to work on the technical details without time stress.)

Edit:

In addition, it just comes to my mind, that (if we would have more time) maybe we could have a look into the participants lists and threads of the past tournaments, so that we could compile a list which includes maybe both participants and people who were interested in joining a tournament in the past but didn't make it into it that time for however reasons. Maybe someone of them would be interested to join the actual tournament but still doesn't know of it (because maybe no longer active in the forum/on the website). If we would have compiled such a list, we could think about it together and talk about, for which person it would make sense/no sense to get asked. If we would say this and that could be a person to be asked (and none of us has asked the person before), maybe this persons could get a single short pm by someone of us? (e.g. just something like

"Hello, we don't know if you have still recognized it, but there's a new tournament of Widelands to be happen soon. [Insert date and link to the forum thread] ) As you participated in a previous tournament or showed interest in it in the past, we would like to invite you to the actual tournament. Subscriptions are open until [insert date]. We would be happy if you would have time and joy to join us in play-testing the actual development version of the release candidate of the upcoming v.1.1 of Widelands. (If you don't like this invitation and in the future also don't want to get informed about further tournaments, please tell us, so that we don't send you messages you don't want. If this is the case with this message yet, we're apologizing for it.) Greetings and thank you for reading. For the tournament organizing, XYZ"

(only a rough suggestion, anyone of you please feel free to alter it with your own suggestions)

I could this weekend try to read through the threads of the tournaments of the past and thus compile such a list as above mentioned and then we could talk about it as outlined. Then we could see which persons could get such a tournament notification pm. I don't want to put more and more work onto hessenfarmer, thus of course I am not suggesting or meaning that this (hypothetically) pm sending would be a new task for the organisator of the tournament, but of course it would be his own decision by himself if he would want to (hypothetically) do it personally or if the (hypothetically) task would be delegated to one or more other people (e.g. maybe someone of us maybe still know some of the non-active persons better than others of us, etc.), but this is just a guess by me.

Edited: 2022-09-03, 10:07

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-03, 15:52

tothxa wrote:

As for the version, I don't think we'll have another translation update until then, so I may keep the one I prepared yesterday 1.1~git25862 (cdb5ccf@master) or use today's 1.1~git25863 (4ab3330@master) which removes some translatable strings. Which one would you prefer?

Well, I how about using https://github.com/widelands/widelands/commit/b301eaaafd793d95966af1bdf3480fae8bbcffee as it has an improvement with SDL mouse handling.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-03, 15:53

@Seefahrer

delaying the tournament would delay the release further, which is alreay late. So I really would like to start on monday, although I am short on time myself.

Top Quote
tothxa
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-03, 18:33

hessenfarmer wrote:

Well, I how about using https://github.com/widelands/widelands/commit/b301eaaafd793d95966af1bdf3480fae8bbcffee as it has an improvement with SDL mouse handling.

OK, let's use this one. It will stay on the 21.08 runtime for now. Let's hope we can solve the segfault by mid-September so that we can still have enough testing on 22.08 until the release.

Will start updating the package now.

Top Quote
tothxa
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-04, 10:01

The version 1.1~git25864 (b301eaa@master) is available on flathub-beta.

Top Quote