Topic: Permission problem on MacOs

Lawrence
Topic Opener
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-04-19, 12:17

Hi guys,

Sorry for adding my question to an old one but it seemed a good place because I could not find the topic anywhere else.

I have an issue with my Mac complaining about verifying the developer of Widelands. Is this something I can fix permanently? At this stage I have to tell the Mac to ignore the verification every time I want to start Widelands. face-sad.png

Edited by kaputtnik: Moved from another topic

Edited: 2021-04-22, 06:37

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote
Lawrence
Topic Opener
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-04-20, 12:45

OK, I have solved the problem myself face-smile.png However I will tell you about it incase anyone has a similar issue.

When I downloaded the Apple Mac version of Widelands from the download page I was not sure where to put it. I saved it to my Download area. Unsure what to do next, I managed to get it to load as a virtual drive ( I can't remember how this came about. I may have told the Mac to load the file I downloaded as a virtual drive as a "boot up" option. I can't remember. ). Then still not knowing what to do, I made a "shortcut" to the Widelands App that was on the virtual drive and put that on my desktop.

When I clicked on the shortcut it tried to open but came up with a message saying that the Mac could not verify the developer but that I could overide security and open it anyway.

I found some help that said I should be able to open Widelands normally once I had told the Mac to ignore the non verification and opened it. However, that only worked until I shut down. Next time I started the Mac I had to go through the bypass routine again.

Solution - Today after I came on here and asked for help I had the thought to look more closely at what files were available on that virtual drive that I was loading.

I noticed that there were three files. One was a text file giving permission to make some changes to Widelands. The second was the Widelands App. As I said, I can't remember how I got this virtual drive. The third file name was actually some kind of link to the Applications folder. I noticed that the Applications all had an .App extension just like the Widelands file.

I decided to try copying the Widelands App into my Applications folder. I opened a new window in Finder and moved into the Applications directory. Then I put my mouse onto the Widelands.App and dragged it into the Applications directory. An activity window opened and the file was copied into Applications.

When the window closed I could see Widelands in the Applications list. I closed all the finder windows and opened Launchpad. Now for the first time I had Widelands available like all my other Apple Applications. I clicked on it and the familiar window came up saying that the developer could not be verified but that I could open it anyway. I chose to open Widelands and the "Press Any Key" screen came up. I exited from the game and shut down everything.

I restarted my Mac and logged in. I moved my mouse to the bottom of the screen and clicked on the Widelands icon. Widelands opened up without any error messages and the "Press any Key" screen came up. face-smile.png

I have now deleted the shortcut that I had copied to my desktop and unmounted the virtual drive.

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote