Latest Posts

Topic: 1. Mission Map

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-07-18, 17:42

I have an Idea for a nice map to start widelands with.

You start on a small island. Find gold and iron only rare spot. But there is a harbour - all enemies are set on one Continent, on which its difficult to expand to one side - this is the side where you can send your explore / build your harbor. Then there are some different islands, the most important one is one which wide greenlands, thats were you can build so many farms as you really needed that space on the starting one - also you find at least one iron and one golden island, where all the materials are imported.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-07-19, 08:22

What do mean with '1 Mission'?

The problem with seafaring maps is: The one who is able to build most ports will likely win the game.

The idea reminds me on the map Dust in the wind

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-07-19, 09:30

Yep sounds pretty much like Dust in the wind. For me it is unclear what you mean with mission. If you mean it like scenario it needs scripting to tell a story. If you mean to recommend this as first map for a new widelands player it sounds far to difficult. We always recomment to start widelands with our tutorials and play the campaigns afterwards.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-07-19, 19:17

Main Idea is that we need new maps and challanges. And the other thing is, that we need maps you can identify more with or see yourself more in the game - never strictly build some buildings then get attackeded by the AI - stopping the game. But what would a new player feel if he discovers a new ressource after long time, gold which will improve his economy and soldiers he can train later.

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-01-31, 08:25

the-x wrote:

I have an Idea for a nice map to start widelands with.

You start on a small island. Find gold and iron only rare spot. But there is a harbour - all enemies are set on one Continent, on which its difficult to expand to one side - this is the side where you can send your explore / build your harbor. Then there are some different islands, the most important one is one which wide greenlands, thats were you can build so many farms as you really needed that space on the starting one - also you find at least one iron and one golden island, where all the materials are imported.

It seems that I have just created almost exactly a map like this without ever reading this before. What a coincidence! However, my new map Tasmanian Black War isn't suitable for beginners, maybe not even intermediate players. Actually I never even thought so. With b19:s shipping algorithm the map may be unnecessarily hard, but even without that it stays firmly on the hard maps sector.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-01-31, 18:39

kaputtnik wrote:

What do mean with '1 Mission'?

The problem with seafaring maps is: The one who is able to build most ports will likely win the game.

The idea reminds me on the map Dust in the wind

it reminds me more of the great escape, the part after you escape the main continent and have your economy split in 6 islands.

Top Quote