Latest Posts

Topic: Selective Ware Production:

Spiceskull

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-14, 11:14

I think the feature for stop/start production is an excellent carry through from the Settlers series - especially great to rebalance the distribution of certain wares. However, I wondered if anyone has found a way to selectively stop production of wares in multi-ware sites.

Your toolsmith needs to produce hammers, shovels and axes all the time, but not always baskets, baking trays etc. It would be great to have a way to turn off production of individual items in a production building.

I thought about something that may work in the config files, but I don't have a clue how it would work in the underlying game code:

[Toolsmith]

[axe] stopstart=yes sleep= consume= produce=

[shovel] stopstart=yes sleep= consume= produce=

etc. The stopstart=yes would generate an on/off switch by each ware in the building, just like the buttons for prioritising inputs. If stopstart=no was set, then that item could not be switched off. This instruction could form a generic building config instruction, so that single production sites, like the bakery, would have stopstart=no by default.

Any suggestions/feedback on this idea?

Adam.

Edited: 2010-01-14, 11:15

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-14, 12:57

There is already a new feature in SVN (and should be in R14 I believe), which allows you to control how many items of a certain class should be "on stock", so this item is not produced any more if your economy doesn't need it.

Go to one of your flags on your roads, click left mouse button and observe the third button which appears, it allows you to select the limits for your economy. A multi-production site keeps producing the things below that limit but skips producting the things above that limit, so it doesn't waste resources on useless products.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-14, 21:09

Of course,

I forgot about that feature. However, it doesn't really solve my problem ...

As we all know, on larger maps the game slows down greatly the more connections you have, and the more things you have going on.

To get around this I create "micro-economies" within my games, each taking up about 50x50 squares. Once one is up and running I "disconnect" it from the rest of my territory, and it runs along smoothly, doing just what I want it to do.

In making these "micro-economies" I can have about 10 running simultaneously, and without the game slowing down painfully. If I do need to relocate a block of wares then I can connect one area up to another for a few minutes, and then break the connection again.

So ... the problem is that "configure economy" applies to my whole tribe, and making adjustments wouldn't really help in this scenario. Far easier, and much simpler to configure production on site and on demand, just like with prioritising inputs and stop/start production for each individual building.

This could be a good discussion ...

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-01-14, 22:02

Spiceskull wrote: In making these "micro-economies" I can have about 10 running simultaneously, and without the game slowing down painfully. If I do need to relocate a block of wares then I can connect one area up to another for a few minutes, and then break the connection again.

Note that when you merge 2 economies, their settings will be merged as well. For each ware/worker type, it will use the setting that was most recently changed in any of the economies that are being merged. (If a setting is "Reset", it is considered to never have been changed.)

Of course we would like the game engine to handle a large economy.

Top Quote