Latest Posts

Topic: Producing people (non military)?

picoday

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-12-27, 22:15

My second question/topic.

What I've bound a bit hard to figure out is how people (like rangers, lumberjacks, etc.)get "produced". At first it was my impression they just appeared as needed.

Then later on I found out they were not, I got a lot of "unoccupied" buildings and the people did not appear. With a little googling and reading here and there I finally figured out that you need to produce the tools for the people and then a tool and a worker get put together in your headquarters (or a Warehouse) to make lumberjacks etc.

The game doesn't seem to have a place where you can find out what tools are needed for what kind of people (I could mostly guess, like a lumberjack probably needs an axe and a fisherman needs a fishing rod etc. but it seems like it would be a good idea to be able to find out this information somewhere rather than just guess at it. (Like you can find out how to produce a certain type of "wares" by clicking on the "wares help").

Now... I did find that I can figure this out by looking inside the text files inside the "tribes" directory. So I guess once you figure this out, it is ok.

I'm still a bit puzzled on how the production of tools get controlled however. I gather most (if not all?) tools are built by the metal workshop.

How do these metal works know what tools are needed, do they wait to build tools until the respective people are needed? Does this "need" get created by the warehouse/headquarters? That's my guess... is this right?

With this assumption, I still found it a bit difficult to decide how many metal workshops to build. It seems when I build them, unlike other types of buildings, they always show as 100% productive. I took this as cue that their services are in high demand... so I built more of them. But it seems no matter how many I built, they always keep showing 100%. And what's more, upon closer watching them all they mostly seemed to be doing was stock up on metal and wood (rather than actually produce tools). At one point, I had a butload of metal workshops (more than 30!) all showing 100% productive and stocked up with metal and wood, yet at the same time, no lumberjacks were being built when I had lots of unoccupied lumberjacks huts. From the looks of it, the workshops were all just sitting there idle and stockpiling precious iron).

This was all in the "unknown build" in ubuntu 9.04, so maybe this was a weird bug in an old version (and this is partly why I decided to try out build 14 instead).

Anyway... long story short. I guess the question / suggestion are.

1) suggestion: it would nice to have information on the mechanics / requirements of building people inside the game somehow. (I do understand there may be other priorities, and this game is "in development").

2) Question:

How do I know that my metal workshops are working well, and if I need to build more? (since they are always showing 100% productive)?

Or in more general words, how do I set up my economy so I get workers produced when I need em.

Edited: 2009-12-27, 22:20

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-12-28, 09:30

picoday wrote: My second question/topic. What I've bound a bit hard to figure out is how people (like rangers, lumberjacks, etc.)get "produced". At first it was my impression they just appeared as needed. Then later on I found out they were not, I got a lot of "unoccupied" buildings and the people did not appear. With a little googling and reading here and there I finally figured out that you need to produce the tools for the people and then a tool and a worker get put together in your headquarters (or a Warehouse) to make lumberjacks etc.

Exactly. If a lumberjack is needed, a carrier will get an axe and become one.

The game doesn't seem to have a place where you can find out what tools are needed for what kind of people (I could mostly guess, like a lumberjack probably needs an axe and a fisherman needs a fishing rod etc. but it seems like it would be a good idea to be able to find out this information somewhere rather than just guess at it. (Like you can find out how to produce a certain type of "wares" by clicking on the "wares help").

Yep, the help could be expanded a bit.

Now... I did find that I can figure this out by looking inside the text files inside the "tribes" directory. So I guess once you figure this out, it is ok. I'm still a bit puzzled on how the production of tools get controlled however. I gather most (if not all?) tools are built by the metal workshop.

All tools are produced by the workshop, but axes (the more advanced ones) and helmets are produced by different buildings.

This might help you: http://wl.widelands.org/help/barbarians/buildings/metalworks/

How do these metal works know what tools are needed, do they wait to build tools until the respective people are needed? Does this "need" get created by the warehouse/headquarters? That's my guess... is this right?

The economy menu has the target quantities. Before that it was made on request from headquarters.

With this assumption, I still found it a bit difficult to decide how many metal workshops to build. It seems when I build them, unlike other types of buildings, they always show as 100% productive. I took this as cue that their services are in high demand... so I built more of them. But it seems no matter how many I built, they always keep showing 100%. And what's more, upon closer watching them all they mostly seemed to be doing was stock up on metal and wood (rather than actually produce tools). At one point, I had a butload of metal workshops (more than 30!) all showing 100% productive and stocked up with metal and wood, yet at the same time, no lumberjacks were being built when I had lots of unoccupied lumberjacks huts. From the looks of it, the workshops were all just sitting there idle and stockpiling precious iron). This was all in the "unknown build" in ubuntu 9.04, so maybe this was a weird bug in an old version (and this is partly why I decided to try out build 14 instead).

This was a bug in b13 (that's what is packaged there).

Anyway... long story short. I guess the question / suggestion are. 1) suggestion: it would nice to have information on the mechanics / requirements of building people inside the game somehow. (I do understand there may be other priorities, and this game is "in development").

As I said, the help could use some expansion.

2) Question: How do I know that my metal workshops are working well, and if I need to build more? (since they are always showing 100% productive)? Or in more general words, how do I set up my economy so I get workers produced when I need em.

I'd say that b14 fixed some of these problems, so simply use this one.

Top Quote
picoday

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-12-28, 23:38

Thanks for the reply.

Clears up most issues. If I've other things with B14, I'll post.

Top Quote