Latest Posts

Topic: Game Play, Graphixs and Design

Athanasius

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-10-22, 09:16

Hello all, I am new to this but can I suggest looking at games like Age of Empires, Total Annilation, Civilisation, Wargames, Age of Empires and Command and conquer. Map layout could maybe be simplified using a bump map style generator. I hope you like those Ideas. I am an artist and would like to help every now and again. I would also help with more building ideas but first I need to know what you use to creat items, pictures and objects in this game and where I can download these. i could help modernise the look of the interface and mouse pointer etc. too if you would like. Hope that sounds helpful.

Top Quote
Athanasius

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-10-22, 09:18

Gameplay, Graphics and Design are important but it is the people doing the programming in this project who are doing the hardest work to achieve this.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-10-22, 13:56

The design of landscapes is more based upon the Settlers and Settlers 2. The games you suggest surely have a nice map style, but they are all rectangle-based, while Widelands is hexa/triangle based. Okay that's the basic basics of it and already quite hard to describe face-wink.png

So in short: a mapengine like the other games use, is unusable for Widelands - which does not mean that the Widelands engine is finished. E.g. the change between two textures is to "linear" and should be calculated more round (there's already such a feature request), but well that's something more technical and not an graphics designer issue.

For the graphics:

You can find most of the art sources at www.widelands.org/svn

I suggest you best jump into the Chat and ask the people there for more information about graphics stuff. I won't be able to help out a lot on that topic face-wink.png

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Top Quote
Athanasius

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-10-23, 12:11

which does not mean that the Widelands engine is finished. E.g. the change between two textures is to "linear" and should be calculated more round (there's already such a feature request), but well that's something more technical and not an graphics designer issue. Thanks that is helpful. Polpolus the begining uses a smooth map system but in a similar format to this game.

Top Quote