Latest Posts

Topic: [GUI] Cursors

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-05-13, 22:22

Well, I like the current glove we have. I could also life with a pointer (arrow or cursor), and I'd like to have different cursors for the different tribes. That would be extra cool face-smile.png

However, I think there are areas in the game that could use a 2D overhaul more than the cursor.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-05-17, 15:09

Hope I am not late for the discussion face-wink.png

I like the new style, however I would as well prefer to make it clearly a glove, perhaps this can be done by some seams or something like that?

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-05-25, 00:33

Just for fun:

Edited: 2013-05-25, 00:49

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-05-25, 12:05

Indeed face-grin.png

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-05-25, 14:39

awesome! I think I'll print this out face-smile.png

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-05-31, 15:18

I like the Idea of a Hand to represent Player's Action inside the Game-World while outside he acts as User. If we assume Matters of different Tribes or Player's Gender the Cursor as Representant of the Player's Hand could look different depending on additional States omside the Game. I don't prefer a Glove over a Hand but consider a Hand as reasonable Alternative eg for a Princess-Player (in a Campaign) while the metallic Glove match better to a Knight. So I embrace the new Icon as an additional Alternative but miss a Way to utilze multiple Hand-Icons either via Lua or via any Player's Avatar-Configuration (if he want to be the high Princess or the mighty Knight .. I want to be the Priness (_)). Well, alternative Gloves can support a better Representation of the Player in the Sense of a RPG-Campaign. I remind the Tutorial-Campaigns, which I got Trouble to refind the Women in the Game (where is she?) which lead the Tribe. With a femal Cursor-Icon (eg with Embellishment) the Player could understand that he acts as that Women. Still no Idea where that Women left but I read here Conversations with her Peasants. May be one of those did represent the Player but I don't care about anymore but fazite that Representation of the Player as Actor inside the GameWorld is suited to get improved and in that Sense additional alternative Cursor-Icons could help in a simple Way if we assume a simple/generic Mechanism to change them. I hope to see your new Hand-Icon anytime while another shiny .. generic Icon-Set arrived without a Hand as Symbol for the Cursor - afaics as there is at least a golden Arrow for a Cursor inside.

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-09-12, 02:40

OK, after some thinking I think I will try to reproduce the original hand cursor with a 3D model. The reason for the 3D model is simple:

• have a better bending of the finger when clicking
  • be able to render the image in different resolutions (larger image for larger resolutions)

Here is the current state:

The images:

And here as an 512x512 pixel image:

What do you think of it?

EDIT: Typo

Edited: 2013-09-12, 02:41

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-12, 22:48

In my oppinion the hand is a bit too big and too dark, but it's GREAT! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-09-13, 16:30

I prefer also more natural looking Textures (Leather/Skin and Pelt for Winter face-wink.png ) but like it's Size even that's perhaps indeed sometimes less ideal from seeing the Screen-Contents below. Therefore my Suggestion is to add a thin golden-light Ball ("Dot") in Front of the Hand's Finger as some Kind of CrossHair for the Hand. The Hand is about locating the Cursor and the Ball about positioning the Cursor.

You made once another Hand. I made a raw Hack with to explain what I mean - I don't think I would call that ArtWork but you may get the Idea I want to express: I think the Approach of Cloth is well but .... look this as Example: http://imgur.com/VXXH034

Even the grey Texture looks promising to me -- but if you can please descrease Skin-Sub-Morphology: the Wrinkles are IMO to large. You may wonder what does this matter for the final Icon -- I don't know as well - but even wonder you took it at this or that Way -- no Idea what does it matter but its Scales are oversized and that's what I say.

Please try to other Skin-Colors. Remind that Cursor is regulary potentally most important Icon on the Screen -- don't make it Camourflage unsuscipicious but better let it shine like an Xmas-Tree. I do very often waste Time resp perform Procedures (cycle around with the Cursor) to find it quickly. The present can get found -- without extraordinary Problems -- but significant better is possible. How about putting nice Gems or soemthing like on the Glove which blink in the Light? This Idea does not origin from Favor but Aim: "What can this Hand make more suspicious? LaserSable? Lightnings? etc. " face-smile.png Any WoodGnome-Hand should get other suspicious Details ... perhaps light Flowers? I mean any Robin-Wood-like Protagonis ("... lived for Years in the Forest ...") should probalby get any other Hand-Icon. So you may consider several Protagonist-Types like Princess, Prince, King, Queen, Cleric, etc. If you can do more with 3D consider Portraits for Campaign-Characters: you don't have to do the Cursor-Icon matching to the Portraits but you go the opposite Way and make the Portraits matching to the Cursor. face-smile.png

You took any .. Ring-Thing for the Cloth. It looks anyway rather nice even I don't know what it shall be. The Colors are weak buut If the light would be or is Gold and the dark is or gets dark blue then that Color-Combination would looks IMO rather nobble. This Point in Context with below as a new Try for Cloth.

You get a good Idea that there is Cloth but it fades out letting the Arm invisible. Your Fade is anyway interesting in that Way that it seems that the Arm comes out of anything invisible .. but hard to identify when looking simply at Screen as me sees at first and second simlpy a CutOff-Arm. I would also take another Texture (OR is it even Morphology???) for the Cloth: this Way it looks rather unnatural. The Pleats are to small for simple Cloth-Fall but to large to look crincled. You omit to a add a Picture of Hand with Cloth in Icon-Size to get a better Idea how it would looks like.

Edited: 2013-09-13, 16:42

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote