Latest Posts

Topic: The Barbarian Food Sector

ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-11-29, 11:17

Interesting discussion, but I have to be a bit critical of the suggested replacement icons. At least to me, it is not at all clear what the relation between those different meal types is. Burger-look or not, the nice thing about the current icons is that the progression from least to most advanced food is very obvious from the graphics. It should be intuitively obvious to everybody at a first glance. Perhaps you could aim for a similar recognizability in your alternative suggestion?

Edited: 2011-11-29, 11:18

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-29, 13:11

Hmm... I can only in parts understand your criticism, Ixprefect.
In contrast to the icons that we now have for snack -> meal (burger -> double burger) which is at best "misleading".
the new icons clearly show the "real difference" and the only one there is. (i.e. beer -> strong beer).
So "what you see is what you get" - that should be okay.
The ration on the other hand is either bread, or meat, or fish with no beverage.
Given that, I resorted to "make a stew out of whatever is available at the tavern/inn/big inn".
and placed the stew in a bowl.
It may not so clearly portray that a stew is somewhat less nourishing than a snack or meal, but I am not so sure how to avoid this.
If you so wish, I could name it "soup" or diminish the bowl somewhat, but remembering that there is a lot of water in there, may help too :D)

... and I went for meat and left out the alternative fish, because Barbarian can produce meat, not fish like the Atlanteans. So it will be the right picture most of the time.

__ biginn/conf ______
[produce_ration]
return=skipped unless economy needs ration
consume=fish,pittabread,meat
sleep=33000
produce=ration

[produce_snack]
return=skipped unless economy needs snack
consume=pittabread fish,meat beer
sleep=35000
produce=snack

[produce_meal]
return=skipped unless economy needs meal
consume=pittabread fish,meat strongbeer
sleep=37000
produce=meal

[work]
call=produce_ration
call=produce_snack
call=produce_meal
return=skipped

Edited: 2011-11-29, 13:14

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-01-14, 18:11

Astuur wrote:

Last remark: I'm still not sure whether I should skip the tablet for the ration and transport the bowl without it.

I like the new graphics and agree with Astuur's logic, but I do think the bowl image for the ration should omit the platter.

So -1 for the platter, +1 for everything else. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-01-14, 19:00

That settles it!
I'll come up with the platterless bowl ASAP.
Thanks, Chuck for finally making up my mind face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-20, 16:45

Finally done that. (Sorry almost forgot)

This is the "menu.png" for "ration" in the form of a stew.

and this is the "idle.png"

HotSpot is 5 5

I quite like it, now that I see it in the game. I think, it definitely was the right decision to go for a "pot only" solution.

Chuck - your assessment?

Top Quote