Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian metalworks/axefactory/warmill Remodel

Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-06, 19:36

Yes - designing downwards is what I meant.
You're right -it is getting crowded. But the extras are really nice!
Some things will again be hard to recognize in the smaller size.
Ideas: One grinding stone (pedal operated, but water cooled) should be enough - but you could mount 2 or more different stones to the same axe; saves space).
If you're running out of space you could also sacrifice one of the furnaces. The 2 weaponsmiths would then work together rather than each one on his own. Or redisign the furnace to be a stationary dual oilbath?
That will make a nice animation too when the hot iron is put into the liquid, with smoke and steam rising up. I wonder who can make some sounds for these buildings... we did not have many of these lately.
The "magic powder" will probably raise questions with the green color (salad?).
But you have lots of alternatives:
There are green chromates but you can just as well use this or that
I can't figure out what the grey something on the floor in front of the coal box is(right before the sledge hammer). But I can see you have lots of ideas yourself... keep it up!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-12, 18:06

I have re-considered the designs of the metal works and axe factory in light of how the warmill turned out. Here are the designs I propose to implement as soon as I complete the build animation for each:

metalworks:
0mw
axefactory:
0af
warmill:
0wm

To reflect the shaft-making activity of all buildings, I have added a shavehorse (with an accompanying pile of wood shavings) to each scene. You might even be able to make out the drawknife in these large shots. I have even "invented" my own version of a foot-powered double wet grinding stone which appears at the axefactory and warmill. I don't know if anything of the sort ever existed, but that is my take on it.

The rectangular "grey something" on the ground is my version of the "iron slab" ware as it might appear in untarnished and rusty versions.

I still have to rework the axefactory's thatched roof under the shingled ell and return the crossed axes over the door, but this is pretty much the finished versions of the buildings in my estimation.

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-12, 18:41

I missed one detail for the metalworks that this image should correct. See if you can guess what it is: face-smile.png
metalworks:
0mw1

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-12, 20:23

Not guess - "see" face-smile.png
The metalworks use wood for firing, not coal...
I was just about to mention that face-smile.png

I have one point only, Chuck: the new upper surface of the anvil seems a bit too close to its own shadow on the ground in color.
Looking forward to test drive this all in the game face-wink.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-10-12, 20:26

You mean, the metalworks uses wood instead of coal. Did I win something? face-wink.png

Edit: Three minutes too late… face-tongue.png

Edited: 2011-10-12, 20:57

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-13, 07:59

You may need to shorten the handle for the bellows at the gold fire a bit; it will need too much room when used - and might even get in the way.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-13, 16:27

@Astuur: I'll adjust the color of the anvil's top face to provide more contrast and shorten the handle of the bellows at the gold forge. Thx

Venatrix wrote: You mean, the metalworks uses wood instead of coal. Did I win something?

You (and Astuur) have won my admiration for your knowledge of the inputs to the metalworks. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-18, 02:03

I am pleased to announce the new metalworks, axefactory, and warmill have been pushed to the development trunk in rev #6034.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-18, 14:45

Trying to include the files from bzr6034, I get this:

Unexpected error during the game [h:/widelands_bzr/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:166] could not load animation frame tribes/barbarians/axefactory/axefactory_b_04.png: [h:/widelands_bzr/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:110] wrong size: (120, 88), should be (120, 101) like the first frame

indeed the file has the wrong size and it dates from 10-4-2011, while all the rest is from 10-18-2011. Also this file and its _pc file are hidden.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-18, 15:43

Delete the axefactory_b_04 file and its _pc file as a workaround. That old file is not needed in the new model. Perhaps it slipped by me when I copied the new files in. I'll push a change directly.

Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT - I just checked rev #6034 and axefactory_b_04.png and axefactory_b_04_pc.png are not there. Perhaps it is a carryover in your test folder. Deleting them should resolve your error.

Edited: 2011-10-18, 15:56

I see little people.

Top Quote