Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian metalworks/axefactory/warmill Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-29, 22:23

Astuur wrote: I totally agree to MW3.
Since you have taken away the supporting post in MW3, it seems to be attached to the main roof.
While I can see, that you have made and attempt to let some reed cover the gap, I think there could be some more of it.

I hadn't gotten to it yet. face-smile.png

Also -- frankly -- I can see that the shed roof is slanted towards the main building, which is an unforgivable sin constructionwise.

I know. See my comment above.

Can't you try to make the insertion point a bit higher?

I'll tweak it when I address the thatching.

Yes, Chuck - I have been reeding booklets about the "how to" of thatching roofs; Or do you really think, I had always known the tricks of the trade
And I already strongly suspected you did likewise. A good (though commercial) starting point is this

Thanks!

What else? The new window is very nice. Also the furnace with added fire. You could make the reddish glow of the fire a little more orange.

That, too, is still on my "ToDo list"

It's the same light that it sends towards the eye and the surrounding walls. So the colors should match. Well, actually everything is pretty perfect already. Maybe you could broaden the door a little more? There is a shadow near the eastern ridge, that I cannot explain. (In all models)

I believe it is in the texture I am using. I'll iron it out one way or another. face-wink.png

You have not yet decided about the floor? Some irregular slabs of granite, may be?

It has taken me a while to convince the toolsmith to manufacture some samples. I should be able to get to the floor and ground texture real soon. face-smile-big.png
Speaking of samples, here is his display rack:
mw3a
The ground and floor textures are temporary.

That is all I can think of. The next one will be the Axefactory?

Yes. When I catch my breath... face-grin.png

Edited: 2011-09-29, 22:27

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-30, 00:19

Here is where the model currently stands:
mw3

Any more comments or ideas before I tackle the build animation? face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-30, 07:34

The rack, while a nice way to display the wares, gets in the way. So I have dispensed with it in favor of this approach:
mw4lg
I have resigned myself to the fact that not every ware will be discernable, but a casual glance at the building should convey what it is.

Here is a shot of it in the game:
mw4snip
I think it compares favorably with the helmsmithy and the smaller buildings, too.
If you would like to try it out for yourself, here you go: mw4 Use a hot spot of 60 66.

So what do you think? face-smile-big.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-30, 10:31

Fantastic! Really, the amount of details that flows into the buildings and its iteration is nothing short of breathtaking now. I really hope noone from a comercial video game producer hires you away from us :). A compliment to Astuur is due as well: well researched critical comments.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-30, 16:08

SirVer wrote: Fantastic! Really, the amount of details that flows into the buildings and its iteration is nothing short of breathtaking now.

Thanks. It's an act of love. I really enjoy playing on WL. I say "playing on" because I not only enjoy playing the game, but I think I enjoy creating content for it even more! face-wink.png

I really hope noone from a comercial video game producer hires you away from us .

Don't worry. That is not going to happen. Money can't outweigh the benefits of working with great guys and gals like those we have in the Widelands community.

A compliment to Astuur is due as well: well researched critical comments.

Hear, hear!!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-30, 21:37

The new metalworks building with build animation has been pushed to the trunk in rev #6002.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-01, 08:06

Dammit, caught a cold and have been in bed all day yesterday.
Now I am again late.
I don't have much to contribute, though, anyhow. It all is very fine work, Chuck, and as usual, I agree with your decisions.

2 things, I have:
A smith may need water in some cases, and he may well like to have a well be it only for safety reasons. But more important seem to be oil in a tub to submerge the tools in. Cooling hot iron with water makes it hard, but also very brittle.
So may be you may want to let your "well" have some darker fluid and in general look less "wellish"?

The other one concerns the display of finished tools.
Admittedly showing a few of a kind better transports the idea that these tools are made here, but optically is does not help to discern them. Maybe the variety of tools alone
could be good enough to show "this is a toolsmithy"?

And yes, I gladly join into the hymn of praise for our Graphics Elder - I've always said so, and ever will, I guess.
Thanks, Sirver, for mentioning my contributions. It isn't much, and the things I wanted to tackle myself must wait. RL gets in the way.

I'll look at the new model in game later. I have a feeling we may be experiencing the dreaded "dancing pixels" again with the floor.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-01, 15:13

Astuur wrote: Dammit, caught a cold and have been in bed all day yesterday.

Sorry to hear that. Remember what they say though, "Feed a cold, feed a fever." face-smile-big.png

2 things, I have: A smith may need water in some cases, and he may well like to have a well be it only for safety reasons. But more important seem to be oil in a tub to submerge the tools in. Cooling hot iron with water makes it hard, but also very brittle. So may be you may want to let your "well" have some darker fluid and in general look less "wellish"?

Excellent point. Thanks.

The other one concerns the display of finished tools. Admittedly showing a few of a kind better transports the idea that these tools are made here, but optically is does not help to discern them. Maybe the variety of tools alone could be good enough to show "this is a toolsmithy"?

I'll consider it.

I'll look at the new model in game later. I have a feeling we may be experiencing the dreaded "dancing pixels" again with the floor.

Let me know if you verify that suspicion. I can't replicate it.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-01, 19:06

I had to re-position the forge in preparation for the axefactory as these images show:
Before: mw4 Now: mw-pre-af

And for those whose eyes need a rest here is a detail shot:
mw-pre-af-lg

At first I positioned it to the far southeast, but came to the realization that anything in that corner is obscured by the building's flag.
I reduced the tools to one apiece and rearranged them to improve recognition, hopefully. face-smile.png

These changes are in rev #6005 to the trunk.

Now back to the axefactory...

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-02, 08:43

Excellent work! All changes are in fact improvements.
One more thing, that you may want to try (I'm terrrible, I know face-smile.png )
The visibility of the tools sufferes a bit from the
construction of the table top that sort of melts with wall behind it.
If we could have a table of solid stone, or wood of some other uniform color, or
with different construction (framework, planks parallel to the short side)
it may further improve the visibility of the tools.

PS: the "dancing pixels" stuff was nonsense of course.
It can only be seen, once we have animated pictures showing this floor.

Edited: 2011-10-02, 08:45

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote