Topic: Firegames - can't reach opponent & can't upgrade soldiers

Magor

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-10, 22:52

Hi!

I tried the map "Firegames" and I encountered two problems:

a) I could not reach my opponent. There is a small valley at the gold mountain in the middle. All buildable types there are "small" so I built sentries and killed off the sentries on the other side. So far, so good. But the next sentries of the opponent were to far away for an attack, and I could not build further military buildings in this area.

b) I could not upgrade any soldiers because I had neither fish nor meat. I built a bunch of gamekeepers, but although they did show 100% and they walked around the place - when they did their "magic dust cloud", no animal emerged. No game, -> no meat -> no upgrade. Is that a bug or is that a standard for blackland type scenarios?

Yours, Magor

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-04-10, 23:23

a) I had a similar problem on the map Mystical Maze. I cannot attack the military building because of the swamp. But this military building blocks the passage to the enemy and all other military building.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-16, 11:15

Magor wrote: Hi! I tried the map "Firegames" and I encountered two problems: a) I could not reach my opponent. There is a small valley at the gold mountain in the middle. All buildable types there are "small" so I built sentries and killed off the sentries on the other side. So far, so good. But the next sentries of the opponent were to far away for an attack, and I could not build further military buildings in this area.

Hi ! I just finished this map. It's a tricky one.... There are actually 2 passages to reach the enemy. West and east of the gold montain. You must use the eastern one - and of course get rid of all those trees to be able to get new construction sites chances. And yes -- only small huts until you're down fromthe valley.

b) I could not upgrade any soldiers because I had neither fish nor meat. I built a bunch of gamekeepers, but although they did show 100% and they walked around the place - when they did their "magic dust cloud", no animal emerged. No game, -> no meat -> no upgrade. Is that a bug or is that a standard for blackland type scenarios? Yours, Magor

There was a bug there. It's fixed. Try SVN 3798 of newer - works fine.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Magor

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 20:10

Astuur wrote:

There are actually 2 passages to reach the enemy. West and east of the gold montain. You must use the eastern one - and of course get rid of all those trees to be able to get new construction sites chances.

I tried both, but could not build any buildings in the passage - the last sentry was as advanced as possible, and the place for the next sentry (I've looked this up in the editor) was about where my border was. I burned down all the enemies' huts in reach, and that was it. Yours, Magor

Edited: 2009-04-18, 20:10

Top Quote
RWise

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-19, 13:55

What I did is edit the map, I added a passage around the iron ore mountain, just wide enuf to build on. Added some rock to this passage,(dont want to get through to fast) and at the other end I added an area to fish in (for atlantians). And added just a bit more area to farm in around the north and south edges of the map. In play it takes about the same time to get to the other side using either passage. I also put a path over the coal mountain, where player 2's rock are,,,

Top Quote