Latest Posts

Topic: Add-On System

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-16, 13:02

Lawrence wrote:

I am developing another map and I am going to use the Editor from 1.0 for the final additions. I wanted to find out how the upload should be performed based on the advice on the Maps page that we should not just upload maps created with Version 1.0.

well, Uploading to the website is still allowed and viable, if no Addon is used for the creation(using addon immovables, bobs or terrains). We already had a discussion which I can't find quickly that both ways shall be supported in the future.

Edited: 2022-09-16, 13:02

Top Quote
Lawrence
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-20, 05:23

Thanks for that advice. What I actually want to do is add a couple of ferry crossings. I have just looked around the options on the Version 1.0 editor and I realize there is a Main menu there. Is this the one mentioned in the Map upload page? I do not see any reference to the Add-on system there. Also I can not find anything about ferries anywhere on the editor links. I know how to add a Port and allow ships to be built. I have been adding that option to my maps for a while. Ferries are something I have been told I should add but have not been able to find out how to do that. Can somebody help me with that?

Edited: 2022-09-20, 05:41

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-20, 08:33

Lawrence wrote:

Thanks for that advice. What I actually want to do is add a couple of ferry crossings. I have just looked around the options on the Version 1.0 editor and I realize there is a Main menu there. Is this the one mentioned in the Map upload page? I do not see any reference to the Add-on system there.

The term "Mein Menu" refers to the main menu which is opened if you start widelands. There is a button "Add Ons" and from there click on "Tab Development → Launch the add-ons packager"

Also I can not find anything about ferries anywhere on the editor links. I know how to add a Port and allow ships to be built. I have been adding that option to my maps for a while. Ferries are something I have been told I should add but have not been able to find out how to do that. Can somebody help me with that?

Waterways for ferrys can be set in the Editors map options menu:

waterways

If you choose a length (which means a max. length) for waterways here, ferries are enabled.

Edit: reword Waterway length limit

Edited: 2022-09-20, 08:50

Attachment:
waterway_length.jpg

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Lawrence
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-24, 14:13

Thank you, kaputtnik. I have saved the information you have supplied onto my computer and next time I have my Widelands game turned on I will follow your instructions and see if I am able to add a ferry to my map. I am excited to be able to begin to use ferrys in my maps for sharing with our community.

Top Quote
Lawrence
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-24, 17:37

So I have successfully added the ability to have ferries in my game by editing the Editor Map Options tag. I removed the Disabled indicator and set the length to "2 fields". I do not know what that means. How long would that be? Is "1 field" the distance between two building icons on a map? I noticed that if I set it to "21 fields" there appears a button to turn the feature on and off like you get when you have a workers building in a game and you can turn the worker off and back on again.

I added two ports onto a small length of water. The two ports are about 13 building icons apart.

When I play a game using the map, I can build the two ports as usual and I can successfully build a "ferry" building and when it is operating I can see the number of ferries increasing in the water. However, the ferries do not remain visible if I turn off the ferry building. I also do not see any activity of the ferries I have built. Is this because I have set the length in the Map Editor Options to small (2 fields)?

I have found the "Tab Development → Launch the add-ons packager" on the Main Menu face-smile.png

Thank you in advance for helping me understand the ferry tag.

Edited: 2022-09-24, 17:43

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-24, 17:49

Ferries disappear if not occupied. To occupy them you need to build waterway. For doing so place a flag at a shore and then click on the waterway icon. You may play the seafaring scenario to learn more about ferries.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-25, 19:25

Lawrence wrote:

So I have successfully added the ability to have ferries in my game by editing the Editor Map Options tag. I removed the Disabled indicator and set the length to "2 fields". I do not know what that means. How long would that be? Is "1 field" the distance between two building icons on a map?

No, the length refers to the nodes between two fields, imho. Theses nodes are the crossings you can see if the grid overlay (shortcut g) is turned on.

Top Quote
Lawrence
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-10-10, 14:40

Thank you for this information. I have now succeeded in playing a Single User game with my most recent map, building Ferries across all of the wider waterways where bridges could not be built. I am excited about the Ferry Tag and how it works. face-smile.png

Edited: 2022-10-10, 14:45

Top Quote
auktionadmin
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2023-03-30, 21:07

First time I tried to upload my Map "WideGreen" on the main page of widelands.org. There was no problem. But there is also written:

[...] Starting with Widelands version 1.0 it is recommended to upload new maps within the game as an add-on. To do so start the "Add-Ons Packager" via "Main menu → Add-Ons → Tab Development → Launch the add-ons packager". [...]

So I tried the add-ons packager...

But I was very confused when I saw following error message in the packager in the attachment below.

The error message was not the problem because it seems like happen with every new Add-On-upload. But who couldn't know.

Nordfriese helped me to upload the correct file at the end. My map was shown with 1 kB in the packager. The big problem was for me that I didn't know that the edited must to be copy to the addon directory. The map folder in the addon directory was emty and new map editors couldn't know that.

Attachment:
Fehlermeldung1.jpg

My map WideGreen:
https://www.widelands.org/maps/widegreen/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-03-31, 09:03

The next official version will have a menu entry inside the editor to upload a map automatically as an add-on. So this might not be a problem anymore.

Top Quote