Latest Posts

Topic: New player saying Hello.

Ignis
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-11-20, 00:15

New to this board, actually created an account to post here occasionally.

I've been a fan of The Settlers since childhood, it's been nearly three decades since I first played the demo of Settlers 2, and I've been cracking out on games of this genre ever since. Settlers, Knights & Merchants, Cultures, Anno; the list goes on.

So to everybody who worked to create this magnificent game; thank you from the bottom of my heart, Kings/Queens every one of you.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-20, 13:37

Hi Ignis and welcome to the forums again.

Thanks for the flowers.

Top Quote
Ignis
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-11-20, 21:53

hessenfarmer wrote:

Hi Ignis and welcome to the forums again.

Thanks for the flowers.

Thank you. One more post you said before I can upload, so here we go face-grin.png

Top Quote
littlekatana
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-11-22, 15:02

Hi Ignis,

Welcome to the forums. I'm fairly new myself. Folks here are really helpful, and I've never really had the experience of talking about a game of this kind with the people that actually make it, so it's pretty cool.

I was curious about the other games you mentioned. I played Anno and really enjoyed it but the others I haven't heard of. Would you mind telling me the rest of your list? And how many of them are playable on linux?

Thanks

Top Quote
Ignis
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-11-22, 15:22

Well Knights & Merchants should be easy enough, it's available on steam and some fans made a "remake" essentially rebuilding the engine to make it work on modern x64 systems, and said remake has a Linux version available on steam.

Link to fansite with remake: https://www.knightsandmerchants.net/support/linuxmacos that should cover you.

Cultures is trickier, can't find anything for Linux, but it isn't the best out there: the simulation aspects are nice but the logistics and micromanagement is a nightmare.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-24, 08:30

Ignis wrote:

Link to fansite with remake:

Can you post the exakt installation link? This one doesnt work.

Edited: 2021-11-24, 08:30

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-11-24, 08:48

the-x wrote:

Ignis wrote:

Link to fansite with remake:

Can you post the exakt installation link? This one doesnt work.

I guess he cannot:

Knights and Merchants website writes:

KaM Remake

Is a mod for the Knights & Merchants programmed from scratch by Krom and Lewin. Featuring complete engine rewrite. Requires original game installation to be used. The latest public version is r6720 from 2013. New versions are under active development by Rey since 2017. There are several big improvements (random map generator, AI by Toxic, etc.), but there’s no release version yet.

Top Quote
Ignis
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-11-24, 09:16

Ah sorry, should have mentioned it still needs the base game files to work, my apologies. K&M The Peasants Rebellion is available on GOG .com for 6 USD, and if you want to try it you can download the demo, I think the remake works with demo or full game; just limits what content you have naturally.

Incidentally, there is a spiritual successor currently being made by the same people, called Knights Province. It's still in alpha, they have a patreon but the alpha is free to download currently; knightsprovince.com

Top Quote