Topic: Amazons - Bugs or features?

waldecker
Topic Opener
Version: DailyBuild
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-09-01, 17:48

Hi,

just played a map with the Amazons (in Build bzr10001-202108310921) and have some findings:

1. While production of fish and meat is pretty equal, the consumption of fish is much higher. Since the consumers are the same (I don't use gardening center) this seams a bit unbalanced
  2. Economy options are ignored for the rare woods. Production is equal but consumption is not, especially when no ships are build. This results in shortages especially in early phase of a game when planting space is limited.
  3. Military buildings are not filled as expected. Even when "Prefer heroes" is marked during building phase the buildings are initially filled with rookies (even with enough heroes in HQ/warehouse) and than slowly filled with heroes (second soldier leaves HQ/WH not before first one reaches the destination building). Manual emptying results in refilling with rookies.

I know its experimental tribe, so just want to share my observations because I'm not sure if it is intended or not.

Cheers Waldecker

Yesterday I stood before an abyss, today I'm one step further

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-09-02, 09:47

Regarding 2, are your rare tree plantations connected to the main economy by roads? Only if this is the case they will plant according to economic needs. When separated from the road network, the plantation is an economy of its own which (unless you modify its target settings) needs all woods all the time. See https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4981

Re 3: This is the same for all tribes and it's by design. As long as there are empty slots in a military building, any soldier will be accepted (with a preference for close-by soldiers), and only when fully occupied, individual soldiers are swapped for a more highly trained one, one at a time.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-09-02, 10:18

For the first problem: this is related to the design as well. Each consuming site prefers the ware listed highest in the inputqueues if I remeber correctly. This is common for all tribes as well. To avoid this you just need to consume more and quicker face-wink.png

Edited: 2021-09-02, 10:19

Top Quote
waldecker
Topic Opener
Version: DailyBuild
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-09-03, 23:02

OK, thanks for explaining

Yesterday I stood before an abyss, today I'm one step further

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-09-03, 23:50

waldecker wrote:

OK, thanks for explaining

you are welcome

Top Quote
Lawrence
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-08, 16:01

Hi Guys face-smile.png

I have an Apple Mac Mini - 64 bit desktop with a 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3. I am running on macOS Big Sur Version 11.6.

I have downloaded and installed the "MacOS X 10.9 and newer, 64-bit" version of "Widelands 1.0 (Released 2021-06-15)"

I have just been playing with the Amazons for the first time. I have been playing Widelands for several years and I am familiar with how the other tribes operate so I just chose Amazons and started playing one of my favorite maps.

I know exactly where there is a gold mine so I did not bother calling the Geologist. I built the mine and took out the gold. All went well.

All was going well until I decided to scout for some coal in an area where I know there is coal. The Geologist did not find any.

That was when I noticed something unusual face-smile.png I can go onto any mine site and choose to build a gold mine or a stones mine but that is the limit. Of course if there is not any gold or stones I begin with a "no resources" notice.

I understand that Amazons is experimental face-smile.png I was just wondering if there is any suggested date when the Geologist and the Mine choices might be completed.

I did not find any other issues at this time but of course I have stopped playing with Amazons as my "Human" tribe at this time. I will set them as an AI tribe and see how they grow as a tribe that way. I will report anything else I notice that is a possible bug.

Lawrence

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-04-08, 17:16

Lawrence wrote:

All was going well until I decided to scout for some coal in an area where I know there is coal. The Geologist did not find any.

That was when I noticed something unusual face-smile.png I can go onto any mine site and choose to build a gold mine or a stones mine but that is the limit. Of course if there is not any gold or stones I begin with a "no resources" notice.

I understand that Amazons is experimental face-smile.png I was just wondering if there is any suggested date when the Geologist and the Mine choices might be completed.

Amazons don't use iron and can't mine coal. That's how the tribe is designed. They can only use charcoal, but they only need it for food (food preserver) and gold (furnace). They make tools and weapons from stones, and armour from their rare trees.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-09, 02:23

I've been surprised at how much charcoal Amazons need. I always need 2 right away. Actually they seem to need 2 of several buildings to start. I guess that's so that they have something to build since they have fewer buildings/wares than others. They are strong though. Maybe too much.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
Lawrence
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-13, 23:43

Awesome face-smile.png

Thank you for responding so quickly and with the answer I need to make my playing with Amazons my new JOY.

Well done Guys face-smile.png

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote