Latest Posts

Topic: How about conquering warehouses instead to destroying it?

MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 00:35

To speed up the game and make it a little more realistic: Why not conquer the warehouses of the other races instead of destroying them?

We would only have to eliminate the wares that the respective tribe has not defined in order to avoid program conflicts. Or alternatively, each tribe can basically own all wares, just not process all wares further.

My widelands project: https://github.com/widelands/wl_addons_server/tree/master/addons/europeans_tribe.wad

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 08:19

That is on our wishlist longer then I am with this project. https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/662

Anyhow thanks for reminding, So it might get some new attention. Furthermore this is one of the prerequisites of seafaring warfare

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 11:36

This would mean that I would always have to carefully watch my warehouses so I can destroy them in time before the enemy takes them.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 11:59

WorldSavior wrote:

This would mean that I would always have to carefully watch my warehouses so I can destroy them in time before the enemy takes them.

That is really not a valid counter-argument.

At least the option should available for addons, if not for the main game.

Edited: 2021-07-07, 12:22

My widelands project: https://github.com/widelands/wl_addons_server/tree/master/addons/europeans_tribe.wad

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 13:19

MarkMcWire wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Why not?

At least the option should available for addons, if not for the main game.

It could be an addon, yes

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 16:05

Well there are 2 things to do and to differentiate.

1. Modifying the code to allow Warerhouses to garrison soldiers (which will make them conquerable) and to expose this property to lua.
  2. Assigning the lua property to the desired buildings. This must be done in consistecy with the usage of the "conquers" attritbute, which currently decides whether a building is attackable.

the latter one may then be subject for a modification in an addon which would need to expose this property to the modify_unit routine as well.
What should already be possible is making them attackable by assigning the conquers attribute (I just don't know wheter conquers = 0 would do the trick or if we need to assign a radius of 1. In this case they would behave like a HQ

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 18:31

conquers=0 is the default, and currently the sole criterion for attackability is a conquer radius > 0. So conquers=1 would do the trick for warehouses; HQ and ports are already attackable. Owning a building not normally used by your tribe is currently possible only for militarysites so this will need more coding changes.

However I think that this feature would offer attackers a huge advantage, and reward fighting economically, so -1 from me.

Furthermore this is one of the prerequisites of seafaring warfare

Not in my under-development approach…

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 19:12

Nordfriese wrote:

However I think that this feature would offer attackers a huge advantage, and reward fighting economically, so -1 from me.

Yes, i think this also.

I remember in one of the Siedler-Series foreign flags will become a players flag on conquering and the player can get the wares lying at the flag by connecting the flag to his economy. This would be not such a big advantage for the attacker but an advantage also.

I think the one who attacks will also only attack if he has an advantage. Giving him more advantages isn't good imho.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-07, 19:17

WorldSavior wrote:

MarkMcWire wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Why not?

Because there is a warehouse management in the game. You can prefer valuable wares in warehouse far away from borders or in ports on islands.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-08, 12:31

kaputtnik wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

Yes, i think this also.

I remember in one of the Siedler-Series foreign flags will become a players flag on conquering and the player can get the wares lying at the flag by connecting the flag to his economy. This would be not such a big advantage for the attacker but an advantage also.

I think the one who attacks will also only attack if he has an advantage. Giving him more advantages isn't good imho.

I see it similarly. It is highly economic advantage. Also we shall focus on balancing the game more and dont differ it more. Against every player I win quite fast in medium maps and there is no real chance for defense in the early part.

Top Quote