Latest Posts

Topic: Thoughts on art direction

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-12-26, 17:47

DragonAtma wrote:

I'm still getting used to povray again (my last time was making the Atlantean barracks about four years ago), but once that's done I should have no problem finishing up barracks for the barbarians and empire. Of course, if you insist on blender instead of povray, you'll need to find and recruit someone who knows blender.

Blender is the preferred modelling tool but by no means a requirement. The result is all that matters face-smile.png

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-12-26, 19:57

Good, because my attempts at using blender haven't worked out too well. face-wink.png

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-12-29, 22:27

[…] Original screenshot and contrast corrected version

And as I hope you can see the differences are extremely subtle, but result in a far, far better readability of the right image, resulting in the assets standing out and being better visible without changing the current assets too much.

Please let me know which remarks you have and how your opinion on this topic is. I have all the values I tweaked noted, the distance and amount of the sharpening, shadow strength etc. This is deterministic so in theory the existing scripts can be modified or a new script can be written to convert the current assets in bulk.

IMO, in your "contrast corrected" version, the buildings and trees, with their increased contrast look too cartoonish. Especially the trees also look too noisy. Also, the high-contrast trees, rocks and animals look over-emphasized.

But I do like the reduced contrast on the terrain. Have you considered reducing terrain contrast only, while keeping the rest as-is?

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-01-24, 08:49

I apologize for the lack of progress; I've been busy dealing with IRL issues. Don't worry, I'll get around to producing graphics sooner or later.

EDIT: I got sick of being discouraged, so I forced myself to do some work on the empire barracks; I posted an image of what I have so far at https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/5093/?page=1#post-35957 (and I am awaiting comments!).

Edited: 2021-01-24, 10:50

Top Quote