Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Request for feature - ground equalising

Junke1990

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 15:49

Hey guys, first up, keep up the amazing work!

I've been playing the game for quite some time and I was hoping for a feature to equalise the ground in game. Kinda the same way you send a man over to check the ground but then to straighten out ground so I can use it more efficiently.

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 19:04

I support that idea. It can be quiet anoying if theres no place left inside your teritory to build a farm or even a medium building nearer to the HQ. On the other hand I guess that the ground behaves that way in order to force the player to expand his borders.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 19:10

Jepp exactly what Gannaf wrote - it's a map designers decission. I am personally against it and even if the majority would vote for such a feature, I would like to see it as very expensive option (like building a "plane maker's hut" and taking some build material (stone?) for one step of country flattening)

BUT as I wrote: I am against it. face-smile.png

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 20:05

Most of the maps are not bad to work with. You need to cut trees though. The game has three types of buildings is to challenge the player. If you can make the mountains to flat grass lands whats the point of the game.

But applying more intelligence to the map editor to warn or give suggestions will help more to prevent this kind of situations.

Vote: Against It .. face-smile.png

NoOb KiWwaTa NoOb Ma NeWeI

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 20:44

Of corse it wouldn't be able to ablate a whole mountain. just for the space of a single flag (1 hexagon). My imagination: Build a flag where you want to build a bigger building later, call a geologist to make the space arround the flag flat. When he arrives, a site opens witch requires e.g. 3 stones for building a fundament. Once finished, the site vanishes and you can build what you like.

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-08-25, 20:58

DOnt take dictionary meaning of A Mountain to a Plane face-tongue.png

Here anyway if it is implemented the map creator should have the right to enable or disable it. Else critical parts for challenging maps will be get vanished face-wink.png

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-08-26, 10:13

I am on the side that this is a map maker's decision. Part of creating a map is to consciously think about where you want to give players the space for big buildings, and where you want to constrain them. So I am definitely against this in the extreme form that was suggested.

Having said that: 1. It would indeed be nice if the map editor supported the map makers better in manipulating the ground. In particular, it would be nice to be able to see the building options under a forest or under rocks. After all, many maps block certain areas on purpose by trees or rocks that have to be cleared before the players can advance through those areas. However, getting the ground "roughness" right for the desired building types is tricky if you've already placed trees etc.

1. I sometimes have the feeling that maps that allow many big buildings to be built look a little boring because even very small changes in elevation affect the building caps. This is a matter of personal taste, though, and perhaps there are other ways of making such maps look more interesting.

Edit: Why is my "2." changed to a "1." by the forum software?

Edited: 2010-08-26, 10:14

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-08-26, 10:14

Actually, I'd thought about this as a research option. You know, I still love to see research in widelands where you can order a hut to research something and they eat an incredible amount of resources and then you get a message that this research is then available. You could research planing then, but it would be something for the late(r) game phase. ... Would be cool, or not?

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-08-28, 13:48

Yes researching is a good one, so I included it in Asins list as the engine supports now. Like you need to guild an Architects Hut and then make plans there to make special buildings and after the architect get experience (found no other way for researching) he can make more advance plans.

So it researching is possible the economy building can get more interesting. ;)

Top Quote