Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Fastlands is best widelands

trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-12-07, 08:56

I'm talking about playing widelands at X10 or X15 speed and sometimes greater.

Some huge change of the gameplay in this "mode":

• No more small military building, else you take all your time expanding the border and don't have time for the rest.

• Less optimal building placement, more important to have enough building that having them in the perfect position in the economy

• Less soldiers micro. You can just forget the idea to make heroes, unless you take all your time for it.

• If you do a bad economic decision, you'll very fast see the impact of it.

• Much shorter games. Much more intense.

• AI have get a huge boost. Because they don't have any change in efficiency while you do.

Big cons:

• Can be hard to play for some computers and with lots of players.

• Some people want to chill when playing.

So tell me guys, why do you love/hate it? What's your excuse for never having tried this mode ? face-smile.png

Personally, it's a rediscover of the game!

ps: Thanks to Worldsavior for the "fastlands" name and the idea! Those were nice games

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-07, 12:48

trimard wrote:

• No more small military building, else you take all your time expanding the border and don't have time for the rest.

• Less optimal building placement, more important to have enough building that having them in the perfect position in the economy

• Less soldiers micro. You can just forget the idea to make heroes, unless you take all your time for it.

• AI have get a huge boost. Because they don't have any change in efficiency while you do.

Big cons:

• Can be hard to play for some computers and with lots of players.

• Some people want to chill when playing.

So tell me guys, why do you love/hate it?

I like playing that fast because it can be even more fun. It doesn't consume that much time and the AI is much stronger.

Personally, it's a rediscover of the game!

Yes

ps: Thanks to Worldsavior for the "fastlands" name and the idea! Those were nice games

You're welcome. Yes, good games. Did I say "fastlands"? I thought I called it "speedlands". But however : )

I'd like to mention that 30x speed is also a very interesting mode, especially as you can play it comfortably against the AI because of the command "--auto_speed".

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-07, 13:09

Sounds also nice face-smile.png i say that here we definitely need those changes I presented in "Balances" like set soldier speed to slow as else this is more stressy than chilly

Top Quote
trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-12-07, 21:20

You're welcome. Yes, good games. Did I say "fastlands"? I thought I called it "speedlands". But however : )

No I'm pretty sure because you were comparing fastlands and slowlands face-tongue.png

here we definitely need those changes I presented in "Balances" like set soldier speed to slow as else this is more stressy than chilly

Yes, the process to produce heroes should be simplified, or are you referencing something else?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-08, 13:40

trimard wrote:

and those things are good how??? it's horrible!!!!

this reminds me of a guy i met playing chess online who complained about me thinking. and i was all what the hell? chess is all about thinking carefully. you take that away, you may as well play something else. and same goes for widelands. you take away all the things i like about the game

Top Quote
trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-12-08, 15:48

Aaaahhh, I was surprised having only good reception seeing as most people like the basic speed face-tongue.png

you take away all the things i like about the game

I don't want this to be the standard don't worry! I just think it's a nice mode

this reminds me of a guy i met playing chess online who complained about me thinking. and i was all what the hell? chess is all about thinking carefully.

Well depends if you play blitz mode. It's a different kind of thinking. TBH I prefer the slow mode in chess too face-smile.png

you may as well play something else

I don't understand why though? the game is different. But not completely broken either. Again, I've seen impressive games by grandmaster chess player that were played in blitz!

Much shorter games. Much more intense.

I think you can't really battle this aspect. It allow for so much more games played. And sometime you just don't have 2 hours for a game! Don't you sometimes want to play a quick widelands game?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-08, 16:18

trimard wrote:

No I'm pretty sure because you were comparing fastlands and slowlands face-tongue.png

I'm also pretty sure face-tongue.png

here we definitely need those changes I presented in "Balances" like set soldier speed to slow as else this is more stressy than chilly

Yes, the process to produce heroes should be simplified, or are you referencing something else?

He's talking about moving speed of soldiers.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

trimard wrote:

and those things are good how??? it's horrible!!!!

Why, is it bad to have a stronger AI? face-tongue.png

• It's nice to need less buildings for expansion

• It's also good to have less need for micro management, because too much of this can be a little bit annoying

and so on.

chess is all about thinking carefully.

Are you sure? Isn't it also about intuition, pattern recognition, memory and positional theory, for example?

you take that away, you may as well play something else

Well, it's different, but that doesn't mean that it's bad and everyone has to play it. Same for Widelands.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-08, 16:49

trimard wrote:

Well depends if you play blitz mode. It's a different kind of thinking. TBH I prefer the slow mode in chess too face-smile.png

you may as well play something else

I don't understand why though? the game is different. But not completely broken either. Again, I've seen impressive games by grandmaster chess player that were played in blitz!

yes, but this is like the difference between blitz and superbullet. in blitz you have to be fast, but you can still play reasonably accurate games. I like blitz. whereas in superbullet the game is entirely decided by who blunders the most under the short time, or who moves faster. So, widelands at 3x to 5x the speed could be that. 15x, not much.

Much shorter games. Much more intense.

I think you can't really battle this aspect. It allow for so much more games played. And sometime you just don't have 2 hours for a game! Don't you sometimes want to play a quick widelands game?

No. I can start a game, save it and continue it later. otherwise, i'd rather not play. As for playing more games, I'll always take quality over quantity, in any field. I judge value based on what something leaves behind after it's done. So i'd rather play one single good game i can remember fondly, than a thousand rushed games that i'll forget immediately after. how can you do anything meaningful if you can't take your time doing it properly?

WorldSavior wrote:

Why, is it bad to have a stronger AI? face-tongue.png

• It's nice to need less buildings for expansion

• It's also good to have less need for micro management, because too much of this can be a little bit annoying

and so on.

no, because none of those things are true.

The AI is not stronger. it's just the human that is weaker.

you don't need less buildings for expansion. you simply expand slower, and you don't realize it because the game is much faster.

you don't need any less micromanagement. you simply don't have time for it.

the game is the same. everything about the game is the same. you are simply forcing yourself to not use many of its features. which are the ones i prefer to use, incidentally.

Well, it's different, but that doesn't mean that it's bad and everyone has to play it. Same for Widelands.

Of course. everyone has different tastes. but playing at such high speed goes against everything I call "fun". And it applies to any single game or videogame I ever used. I know I am in the minority in the modern world, but i will always be vocal about it.

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-09, 15:49

What would be the ideal speed for "Fastland"? 13x?

Edited: 2019-12-09, 15:49

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-09, 16:33

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Of course. everyone has different tastes. but playing at such high speed goes against everything I call "fun". And it applies to any single game or videogame I ever used. I know I am in the minority in the modern world, but i will always be vocal about it.

so at least we are in minority together face-wink.png

Top Quote