Latest Posts

Topic: Resources and custom content questions.

Maestro4202

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-06-26, 07:32

Just wondering where the game data is actually stored and if it's even worth trying to mod some stuff. I looked in the program files and only saw an .exe. Also I was wondering if there is a way to have random generated maps generate water resources. As of now, I have to go around and paint the water and fish resources in - and once I do that I see the map in its entirety which kinda diminishes the would be exploration. Also would be nice to randomly place opponents for the same reason.. is there a way that I'm missing?

Edited: 2010-06-26, 07:34

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-06-26, 19:23

Unfortunately, the random map generation isn't up to that yet. I've entertained the thought of implementing an infrastructure for people to write random map generators in Lua to allow for different map styles to be generated. However, right now, it just doesn't exist.

Top Quote
Maestro4202

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-07-29, 04:05

Ok, then I suppose a custom race creator is far off too then? (ie. custom resources and building trees would be really cool) As to my first question, where and how to u get game data to edit?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-07-29, 08:01

Maestro4202 wrote: Ok, then I suppose a custom race creator is far off too then? (ie. custom resources and building trees would be really cool) As to my first question, where and how to u get game data to edit?

with custom graphics fitting all together? face-wink.png Sorry but I don't see a reason for implementing such a "custom tribes" feature. Would be a whole lot more work to implement than the custom map feature, and wouldn't give the game anything valueable more (from my point of view).

However I lately worked on the map generator - maps are now better playable and starting positions for the set number of players are automatically placed.

For the stuff with water and fish resource placement: the difference to mountain resources is, that water always contains a basic amout of fish resource and green land always contains a basic amount of water resources - that way a fisher can already fish up to 100 fishes although you have not manually highered the value of fish resources. The stuff with water is even less important (that's why I once suggested to change the behaviour of wells), as wells are able to find water pretty everywhere - just the first 500 buckets of water are "mined" with 100% productivity before falling down to 60%-70%, as wells without extra placed water resource much faster do.

Nad back to your first question: All worlds can be found under the subdirectory "worlds", all tribes under "tribes", special stuff like the conquerable military sites can be found under "global" - if you do not see these directories, enable "see hidden folders and files" in your explorer. Basically all worlds and all tribes are defined in a conf file lying in the base directory of that world/tribe. Inside different objects are combined (e.g. lists of buildings, workers, etc.) and each of that objects has it's own subdirectory with another conf file again.

Btw.: as you seem to use windows: to edit these conf files, best download a more standard compliant asci editor like notepad2 or scite (the windows notepad doesn't really do the job).

For the containments of the conf files, different work programs, etc - best use the search function. There should already be some longer forum posts about that topic and perhaps even a wiki site.

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Top Quote