Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Why do you enter the Lobby only for a short time?

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-27, 18:00

I notice for years now, that players enters the lobby, but immediately exit again.

For new players i think this just some sort of test, or playing with the possibilities. But i notice that also experienced players do the same and can't find an answer for myself. I guess they are just looking if some one is in the lobby to find someone to play... but if every players leaves the lobby immediately, the possibility to find another player will be quite small face-wink.png There must another reason, i think.

So: Why do you enter the Lobby only for a short time?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-27, 18:14

kaputtnik wrote: I guess they are just looking if some one is in the lobby to find someone to play...

that's exactly the reason. if there is nobody, they don't want to wait. It takes someone to start waiting, perhaps host a open game where people can join, and then you can get a critical mass.

at least that's how it works for civilization 4, which has roughly the same number of players that we have.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-27, 18:30

I tried so tolve this problem sometimes by hosting a game - but then sometimes ofc im waiting for 20 minutes and beeing afk and then also the same problem appears. a player joins and leaves after few seconds if i dont answer. we need patience.

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-06-27, 20:23

In my case, I often just come to see if there is activity, so just to talk, and sometimes it's just curiosity.

Has if I open the door, have a look, nobody's here, I close the door and plan to come back later by curiosity to see if there is activity...

face-glasses.png

When I plan to play, by the way, I stay and wait face-smile.png

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-28, 12:39

Is there any auditive feedback from the game if it is in the background/minimized? That could help to notice if someone joins your game and you have minimized it to do something else in the meantime.

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-06-28, 12:51

fraang wrote:

Is there any auditive feedback from the game if it is in the background/minimized?

Yes, Widelands plays a sound every time someone enteres the lobby. It's a "wawawaa"

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-28, 12:56

stonerl wrote:

fraang wrote:

Is there any auditive feedback from the game if it is in the background/minimized?

Yes, Widelands plays a sound every time someone enteres the lobby. It's a "wawawaa"

Also if you are in a game? I don't think so. But chat messages also trigger a sound.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-06-28, 13:02

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

fraang wrote:

Also if you are in a game? I don't think so. But chat messages also trigger a sound.

No, not when you're in a game. We need to revamp the whole in-game chat, though. I think it's on someones TODO list face-grin.png

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-28, 13:41

stonerl wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

stonerl wrote:

fraang wrote:

No, not when you're in a game. We need to revamp the whole in-game chat, though. I think it's on someones TODO list face-grin.png

The question is: Whos TODO list?...

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-30, 11:18

king_of_nowhere wrote:

kaputtnik wrote: I guess they are just looking if some one is in the lobby to find someone to play...

that's exactly the reason. if there is nobody, they don't want to wait.

You mean they want to play immediately? And if no one is in the lobby, they play a singleplayer match?

It takes someone to start waiting,

Well, if most players don't want to wait, there will be no one. It's a vicious circle...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote