Latest Posts

Topic: game scheduling module

trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-02-20, 20:28

Yeah maybe it s a good time to look into tabs! Where would you put that tab though? In the profile? And then we add a link to see all game on the sidebar?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-20, 22:46

trimard, your are invited to take a look at the tabbed_profile branch

I would be glad if you can take a look at it and may add the Scheduling module face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-21, 15:54

How about adding it to the top with a clock or calendar icon, to make it more visible?

Edited: 2018-02-21, 15:54

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-23, 12:47

I have a question: how hard would be adding data like:

• Can host / can't host the game
  • Preferable version(s) of Widelands

?

Because from my perspective it can be important to players. Also both of the fields should be rather optional than mandatory face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-23, 14:01

einstein13 wrote:

I have a question: how hard would be adding data like:

• Can host / can't host the game
  • Preferable version(s) of Widelands

While it is a good idea, such information can also be exchanged through pm's. But i guess new players would not know that they must be able to host (portforwarding). So i think adding some sentences would be good. Something like:

• Until Version 20 one of the players must be able to start a game (host a game). See System configuration for hosting
  • Some users may play with another Widelands Version than you. Consider to coordinate the Version when contacting other players.

BTW: Portforwarding will not be necessary anymore with build20 face-smile.png

Top Quote
trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-03-04, 16:57

I would be glad if you can take a look at it and may add the Scheduling module face-smile.png

Sorry, my exams are comings soon, I didn't took the time to do that. But from what I've seen you've integrated it pretty well!

While it is a good idea, such information can also be exchanged through pm's. But i guess new players would not know that they must be able to host (portforwarding). So i think adding some sentences would be good. Something like:

To be honest, I think the main advantage of this system is sharing information fast, without the help of the pms. I really like these idea. And I think we might think about expanding it later. Why not have map preferences? Why not have tribes displayed? Why not have the ELO displayed face-wink.png

Where put these informations? To set them up, I guess it should be in scheduling. Pretty easy to add. As for the displayed player, I guess I could find some place under the title for some icons.

Speaking of icons. I really like svg, but this website is mainly made of png/jpg. Is that bad for the general coherence if I add more svgs?

How about adding it to the top with a clock or calendar icon, to make it more visible?

If you look at the integration Katpunkick made, I think it's pretty well done. But I guess I agree we could make it more visible. Can't imagine the good icon though right now. I'll think about it.

edit: If we DO store more information about the players. Should I store them in the same table than for the scheduling module or in the profil table? New table?

Edited: 2018-03-04, 17:09

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-04, 19:03

trimard wrote:

.... Katpunkick ....

Whaaat? face-grin.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-05, 00:07

WorldSavior wrote:

trimard wrote:

.... Katpunkick ....

Whaaat? face-grin.png

face-grin.png

trimard wrote:

To be honest, I think the main advantage of this system is sharing information fast, without the help of the pms.

The players have to write pms anway, because they have to agree on a date/time.

I really like these idea. And I think we might think about expanding it later. Why not have map preferences? Why not have tribes displayed? Why not have the ELO displayed face-wink.png

Adding such information means a player have to feed the database with it. So it's work for the player anyway: Writing this informations in the needed PM vs. writing it in the scheduling module. My opinion about the additional properties:

• map preference: This will change from time to time, so the player has to change this information. I bet no one would do this.
  • preferred tribe(s): Could be an information, but is also an early spoiler. A very good player like WorldSavior may choose the tribe depending on the map and on the opponents tribe. So having this value shown would not be meaningful. A players favorite tribe can also change, so this means also he has to change it in his schedule settings vs. writing it in PMs

Speaking of icons. I really like svg, but this website is mainly made of png/jpg. Is that bad for the general coherence if I add more svgs?

SVGs are the way to go i think. No one was able so far to create them face-wink.png

edit: If we DO store more information about the players. Should I store them in the same table than for the scheduling module or in the profil table? New table?

The table for scheduling is for storing datetimes: Each row in this table is one datetime. Depending on the type of new information some of the information would be a kind of global information (applies to all datetimes, not for a particular datetime, not for one row). So i think the profile table would be good, or adding another table.

What about having a PM template? Clicking on 'write PM' in the scheduling module would open a form with predefined fields, e.g. a Checkbox "Can you host a game?", an input field for the preferred widelands version, an input for the map one wants to play, ... , and an input field for additional text. The information, once given, can be stored in a new table and the next time one is clicking on "Write PM" the entries will be prefilled with the last informations (except the field for additional text). Ideally the "Write PM" can be done for each date, so the template can also be prefilled with values from the date and maybe also about the time. The "Write PM" would then be "Write PM depending on this date".

IMHO such a template would be useful for both sides: A user can easily keep his given information up to date and the developers can easily modify the template. Just in theory face-smile.png

The layout of such a table have to be well considered. I can imagine a table with only one text field, where the text is a kind of a dictionary with key/value pairs. Hmmm...

Edited: 2018-03-05, 00:09

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-05, 09:01

kaputtnik wrote:

trimard wrote:

SVGs are the way to go i think. No one was able so far to create them face-wink.png

Yes, please do use SVGs whenever you can. They scale a lot better.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-03-06, 15:19

Adding such information means a player have to feed the database with it. So it's work for the player anyway: Writing this informations in the needed PM vs. writing it in the scheduling module.

Yeah but isn't a radio faster? And it helps to remember to talk about that. Indeed, new players aren't always aware that they might need these infos.

map preference: This will change from time to time, so the player has to change this information. I bet no one would do this.

It's seen on other games such as SC2 (sorry I'm often refering to it, it's the only other game I'm playing right now). But I get your point about changing if often or not.

preferred tribe(s): Could be an information, but is also an early spoiler. A very good player like WorldSavior may choose the tribe depending on the map and on the opponents tribe. So having this value shown would not be meaningful. A players favorite tribe can also change, so this means also he has to change it in his schedule settings vs. writing it in PMs

I see many uses for it. Personnaly I only play atlantean. I have no problem that the opponent knows about it. On the contrary, it's better practice for me. But not important feature, I get your point.

But all these ideas could be implemented in the pm like you suggested!

What about having a PM template? Clicking on 'write PM' in the scheduling module would open a form with predefined fields, e.g. a Checkbox "Can you host a game?", an input field for the preferred widelands version, an input for the map one wants to play, ... , and an input field for additional text. The information, once given, can be stored in a new table and the next time one is clicking on "Write PM" the entries will be prefilled with the last informations (except the field for additional text). Ideally the "Write PM" can be done for each date, so the template can also be prefilled with values from the date and maybe also about the time. The "Write PM" would then be "Write PM depending on this date".

Yes, I like this very much. We could make the available hours selectable and when you send the mp, the hours are already porpose? Or even add the clocks in the mp template.

I prefer to use as much lists and radio and as little text as possible. Else it's useless compared to a normal MP. So it would be the normal text filed a text has and under it, a box with the hours, and the few radios we talked about.

Yes, please do use SVGs whenever you can. They scale a lot better.

Cool! face-smile.png

edit: I see all these changes need more thoughts, maybe we should merge the few fix I made now? Or should I wait that you merge your tabbed branch kaputtnick?

Edited: 2018-03-06, 15:20

Top Quote