Latest Posts

Topic: Tabbed profile page

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-26, 12:25

I am thinking for years about to make the login box smaller to have some place on the top for other things. The main idea is to move some links from the login box into tabs on the profile page. The login box contains then only "Login/Register" if one isn't logged in, and "Your Profile ( x ) Logout" when logged in. "Your Profile" is the link to your profile page where you can edit your settings, "x" is the the number of PMs and on a click on that number you get to the messages page.

I did some work already but running out of ideas how to design the donate and social media boxes on the top. Currently:

tabbed profile

Any ideas?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-26, 22:42

Another attempt:

header mods

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-12-27, 09:31

Mhhhh... don't know if I already talked about that but this reflexion really needs to be thought in regard to the future responsive design of the general website! And for that matter the easiest way would be to have a sort of second menu. Would that be possible to take the second attempt and put them in the same box with some sort of separator? I guess even a simple line would be enough at first?

+1 for the maps and donate icons

+1 for the background color in the second attempt

+1 for the tab profile (maybe remove the shadows though? To differentiate between selected and not select I think a change of text color would be more suited? To test, I'm not sure )

edit: oh! And maybe add a message icon close to "your profile" the number alone is weird. Logout could be replaced with an icon too btw, but not sure how that would render in the end.

Edited: 2017-12-27, 09:35

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-27, 12:45

trimard wrote:

Mhhhh... don't know if I already talked about that but this reflexion really needs to be thought in regard to the future responsive design of the general website!

Yes, i tried that by using a flex design.

And for that matter the easiest way would be to have a sort of second menu. Would that be possible to take the second attempt and put them in the same box with some sort of separator? I guess even a simple line would be enough at first?

Don't know exactly what you mean here. I have tried to merge this in you responsive branch and with some adjustments it looks this way:

1. Small viewport:

small viewport

1. Some bigger viewport:

some bigger viewport

I think the entries in the top 'menu' should all have the same height. And it would be better to make them in one block so the logo and the 'menu' stays on its own rows when the viewport shrinks. I guess you mean that?

+1 for the maps and donate icons

The donate button could be adjusted further to contain two lines of text.

+1 for the background color in the second attempt

I am not very confident with that, but better as the first attempt face-smile.png

+1 for the tab profile (maybe remove the shadows though? To differentiate between selected and not select I think a change of text color would be more suited? To test, I'm not sure )

The shadow is removed on a selected item. Additionally it get removed when hovering over the tabs. I like it, but i am open for other ideas face-smile.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-27, 22:49

Actual state: The header is splitted into two sections 'logo' and the 'menu' on the right. As soon the browsers window get smaller and the right 'menu' does not fit anymore onto the right of the 'logo' it is moved below the logo and all sections are placed centered:

two section header

I have added an additional link to the download page in the wiki .

The bottom screenshot shows also the tooltip when one is hovering over the text 'Your Profile'.

Edited: 2017-12-27, 22:54

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-11, 21:53

An actual image which shows some changes made so far. Tabs are added to Wiki, Maps, Forum and all other places where currently small green links are shown (e.g. in in Maps: "Upload new map".

tabs over tabs

Any remarks?

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-03-12, 21:24

Verrryy cool!

Nice touch with the donate icon. I tried looking for one, but I couldn't imagine one that would fit.

+1 for putting titles for every icons! (Although maybe change the look of the title of social medias so it's the same as others?)

I'm still having a problem with the last tab not being aligned with the big box. Is that by design for more clarity though?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-13, 08:07

trimard wrote:

Verrryy cool!

Thanks face-smile.png

Nice touch with the donate icon. I tried looking for one, but I couldn't imagine one that would fit.

I am not really happy with color of the globe ...

+1 for putting titles for every icons! (Although maybe change the look of the title of social medias so it's the same as others?)

Clash of function vs. visual style here:
The titles for the others are also links, so i gave them the same look and style like every link on the page. The title of the social media section can't be a link because there are two different links in this section. So: No link, no link-like style. But i have to admit that it looks a bit strange.

I'm still having a problem with the last tab not being aligned with the big box. Is that by design for more clarity though?

To be honest this was random face-grin.png But i like it. Right aligned with the big box does not look better, imho:

right aligned

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-11-12, 21:06

As you might have noticed, the changes are in right now. Feel free to make suggestions how to improve the new design face-smile.png

If your browser doesn't show the page as like shown in the previous images, please post your used browser and the version.

Top Quote