Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Trident of Fire - Starting Positions

xzcvczx
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-06-26, 01:32

In the Trident of Fire Map the starting position of players D & E (White and Pink) is in a position that as far as i can tell is impossible to attack or to otherwise destroy (It also seems to be highly disadvantaged for a player to start in either of those positions compared to the other positions).

This leads to the game being unwinnable when played as autocrat if either players D or E are in the game. Is it worth having a marker for maps that are unsuitable for certain types of gameplay?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-26, 07:05

xzcvczx wrote:

In the Trident of Fire Map the starting position of players D & E (White and Pink) is in a position that as far as i can tell is impossible to attack or to otherwise destroy

true

(It also seems to be highly disadvantaged for a player to start in either of those positions compared to the other positions).

They are not the most advantageous positions ever devised face-wink.png

This leads to the game being unwinnable when played as autocrat if either players D or E are in the game. Is it worth having a marker for maps that are unsuitable for certain types of gameplay?

Definitely. There are lots of maps (mostly with many islands) where it can become impossible for one player to conquer another. I don´t think any other win condition than Autocrat can be unwinnable, but there should certainly be a map tag "unconquerable" when it is possible for one player to become undefeatable.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-26, 08:01

Hi xzcvczx and welcome the forums face-smile.png

From what i remember the map Trident of Fire contain some scripting which needs the 7th and 8th player. There was a discussion about that but i couldn't find it anymore face-sad.png

We should add a hint to that map...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-26, 10:25

What we really want is to adapt the initialization so it works as a scenario for single player as well. Only the first 3 positions are meant to be played by humans.

I have an abandoned branch for this, if anybody would like to pick this up, I'd be delighted face-smile.png

https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trident-sp

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
xzcvczx
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 12:42

kaputtnik wrote:

Hi xzcvczx and welcome the forums face-smile.png

From what i remember the map Trident of Fire contain some scripting which needs the 7th and 8th player. There was a discussion about that but i couldn't find it anymore face-sad.png

We should add a hint to that map...

thanks for the welcome.

assuming i understand you correctly its only in single player or something that the 7th and 8th player is necessary? maybe another option could be to tag players as unusable in certain game types or thats only enabled when its necessary and just shows up as disabled or invisible in the game setup screen based on the game type.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 17:30

The game starting screens need a complete overhaul, which I have started working on. Before that is finished, I'm reluctant to change any actual functionality there.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote