Latest Posts

Topic: Soldiers: building / training

picoday

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-12-27, 22:31

This is probably the least unclear to me. I gather I need an axe factory and then it works similar to the production of ordinary workers... is this right?

I'm totally not sure how the training part works. There are all these different types of axes and helmets...

How are you supposed to use a training camp? I built a couple and they seemed to fill up with soldiers and over long periods of time these soldiers got ugraded... But I could never quite figure out what was going on (what wares is it consuming to do what?).

Also... do I have to manually send out soldiers from a training camp? Or can I count on the training camp to send out soldiers when they are "fully trained" (whatever that means).

Since I couldn't really figure this out, so far I've been mostly playing with "untrained soldiers" (and trying to get strength in numbers). The training seemed to take forever, so probably I'm just not setting this training camp up right.

Anyway, I guess my question is, how/where can I learn about the training / creation of soldiers? It seems quite complex, but I couldn't find any info / tutorial on this aspect of the game.

Edited: 2009-12-27, 22:32

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-12-28, 08:57

picoday wrote: This is probably the least unclear to me. I gather I need an axe factory and then it works similar to the production of ordinary workers... is this right?

For barbarians, yes. The axe will be transported to the warehouse/headquarters and then, if necessary, a carrier and the axe will create a soldier (or a lumberjack). But this only happens if one is requested (by a site).

I'm totally not sure how the training part works. There are all these different types of axes and helmets...

The helmets/axes are needed for upgrading the soldier.

How are you supposed to use a training camp? I built a couple and they seemed to fill up with soldiers and over long periods of time these soldiers got ugraded... But I could never quite figure out what was going on (what wares is it consuming to do what?).

The soldiers simply go to the training camp/battle arena and train in the available directions. It consumes the axes and helmets and food, and the soldier gets upgraded in this and that direction.

Also... do I have to manually send out soldiers from a training camp? Or can I count on the training camp to send out soldiers when they are "fully trained" (whatever that means).

I do believe that they will get out once they can train no more.

Since I couldn't really figure this out, so far I've been mostly playing with "untrained soldiers" (and trying to get strength in numbers). The training seemed to take forever, so probably I'm just not setting this training camp up right. Anyway, I guess my question is, how/where can I learn about the training / creation of soldiers? It seems quite complex, but I couldn't find any info / tutorial on this aspect of the game.

The third tutorial mission should probably teach you a bit about that stuff.

Top Quote
picoday

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-12-28, 23:42

[quote]The third tutorial mission should probably teach you a bit about that stuff.[/quote]

There's a third one?? I must have missed that somehow, I only found two.

Top Quote
Lobsterninja

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-09, 07:25

Can you go into a little more detail regarding training and weapon upgrades?

What is the exact sequence of events for training? E.g. when will an upgraded soldier leave the training camp and go to a fortress? My Battleground is full of units with EV=2/2, but they never seem to leave. I have several empty and partly empty military buildings, so I would expect trained units to go there, but they don't.

There is a button that you can click to make the selected unit leave.

What exactly does upgrade_hp_2 mean? If all of the units have HP=2/3, does that mean nothing happens in that phase?

Is there a precise and complete description of what the various stats mean? E.g. HP, AT, DE, EV, Level? Yes, I know they mean hit point, attack, defence, evade, level, but I don't know the meaning of the first and second numbers, what level really means, and how the numbers change during training, and what the formula for resolving battles is.

"The helmets/axes are needed for upgrading the soldier." How do the soldiers obtain the new shiny gear? Do they move to where the gear is created? Do carriers bring the weapons to the soldiers in the fortresses? Do they get dropped in a well and have to be recovered? Is the new gear consumed during the training process?

My current technique is to set minimum occupancy on all military buildings in order to get units to go and train, then after most of the units are out training I set the military building occupancy back to max. Then I manually kick units out of training facilities when training appears to be complete.

Edited: 2010-03-09, 08:26

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-09, 10:24

picoday wrote: There's a third one?? I must have missed that somehow, I only found two.

I think what Soeb was trying to say is that a future third mission should teach this.

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-03-09, 15:02

Hi all!

Soldiers SHOULD leave training sites when they can not level anymore at this site. For example: if a [b]Battle Arena[/b] trains Attack to level 3 and Evade to level 2, soldiers will kicked off when they reach Attack level 3 and Evade level 2. For now there is not any training site like this, all training sites upgrades to maximum level for this tribe (for example to Attack 5 and Evade 3). But it is supported that a training site only upgrades from certain level to an specific level.

See you.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-03-09, 15:29

ixprefect wrote:

picoday wrote: There's a third one?? I must have missed that somehow, I only found two.

I think what Soeb was trying to say is that a future third mission should teach this.

No acctually there is a third tutorial mission since build14 face-smile.png and it teaches the basics of "soldier control and training".

Top Quote