Latest Posts

Topic: New Model for barbarian hardener

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 20:26

I've completed my work on the barbarian wood hardener's hut.

Here are the original and the new models:

original: o new: n

The new hardener is in the lower left shown next to the charcoal_kiln.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 20:43

Looks good to me. face-smile.png Though in comparison the logs at the lumberjack’s hut are quite big now. Granted, that has been the way before, too. face-wink.png

I guess the dark logs (?) at the right are the blackwood? It’s not easy to distinguish if those are logs or planks. They should be planks, just like the wood that’s worked on should be a plank too, as I imagine, it’s hard to cut blackwood into planks after it has been hardened.

I hope, I made myself clear enough…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 21:08

Venatrix wrote:

Looks good to me. face-smile.png Though in comparison the logs at the lumberjack’s hut are quite big now. Granted, that has been the way before, too. face-wink.png

Here is that quandry of scale. The "identifying element" for the lunberjack's hut being the logs. If they were represented at the same scale as the logs in the hut, it could take more than a glance to recognize the nature of the building. Of course, I will be the first to admit that if I am consistent with anything about the buildings I've done, it is in my inconsistencies. face-smile.png

I guess the dark logs (?) at the right are the blackwood? It’s not easy to distinguish if those are logs or planks. They should be planks, just like the wood that’s worked on should be a plank too, as I imagine, it’s hard to cut blackwood into planks after it has been hardened.

I hope, I made myself clear enough…

Crystal clear. face-smile.png

In fact, those are logs, but as you observed they could be just about anything. In my defense it is the same material (i.e. colors and textures) that is used in the military buildings. I could remodel them as a caricature of hardened planks I guess.

For now, the new model has been pushed to trunk in r7422. That does not mean it can't be further modified. Which I will consider after I get the rest of the missing models replaced.

As always, thanks for your comments.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 21:58

What’s up? Normally there’s a long discussion about the new model before you push it, but today you added it even before anyone could answer. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 22:01

I allways believed the wood hardener is a saw, but I see this is something different face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 22:14

Venatrix wrote:

What’s up? Normally there’s a long discussion about the new model before you push it, but today you added it even before anyone could answer. face-wink.png

A lot of irons in the RL fire right now. Meanwhile, take the hardener for a run. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 22:21

Tibor wrote:

I allways believed the wood hardener is a saw, but I see this is something different face-smile.png

There are ALL KINDS if schools of thought about wood hardening. Fire was used by the ancients to harden spear points and wooden edges. Rarely if ever used on any scale to harden palisades, because it is very labor intensive involving multiple iterations of burning and polishing,

I must admit I have never heard of a "saw" being used to harden wood. SHORTEN, yes. HARDEN, hmmmmm...

In fact the only reason I included a stone water trough is because the original building had one. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 22:34

I am not native english speaker but I can imagine that for some historical reasons a saw could be called 'wood hardener'. This is not the case - OK... A saw can be used to make trunks square - and such wood can be used to build houses.

But bottom line is that some peoples might be unsure what wood hardening should look like and what animation expect - that's all I meant.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 23:00

Tibor wrote:

I am not native english speaker but I can imagine that for some historical reasons a saw could be called 'wood hardener'. This is not the case - OK... A saw can be used to make trunks square - and such wood can be used to build houses.

But bottom line is that some peoples might be unsure what wood hardening should look like and what animation expect - that's all I meant.

You bring up an excellent point, Tibor. Semantics. How I interpret a word like "hardener" comes from how I learned the word while growing up in my culture. It is certainly true that words take on different meanings from culture to culture. This is the case when intended ideas become "lost in translation".

To my mind "hardening" wood means making it more durable, I can appreciate how, especially in relation to wood, "hardening" could be used to mean preparing the wood for construction, i.e. "milling".

I invite everyone to share what elements would help them to identify these buildings (not just the hardener) with their role in the barbarian economy. My intererpretation may not always be the best or even what was the original intent. So, if I have missed the mark with anything, I want to know about it.

Thanks again for your valuable input. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-25, 07:47

I researched the subject a bit when I was working on core game terms. Hardening the wood by fire is exactly what's supposed to happen here, and such a thing was indeed done. If you read the help text for the building and worker, you will see that this was the original intention for the building.

Also, the building's worker is a lumberjack, who uses an ax as a tool. In fact, the Barbarians don't have saws at all, so adding a saw to the building graphics wouldn't fit.

An improvement idea that I have for the building is to have the ground littered with wood chips. I think it is a bit visually flat at the moment. I am thinking earthen floor littered with wood chips and covered with a bit of soot.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote