Latest Posts

Topic: Fish & MultiCore

jojojo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-10-16, 00:08

Hi there, first of all, I'd like to say thank you so much! I really appreciate your work. 2 suggestions: a) let the fish "regrow" similar to the trees

b) how about using multiple cores? I have a dualcore 1.8 Ghz, which is not that slow. But I have serious speed problems in most longer games even at 2x speed!!!

regards, jojojo

edit: the speed issue might have to something to do with full flags. Cause after conquering some enemy buildings (sourrounded by "moonwalking carriers") it's way better!

Edited: 2009-10-16, 00:53

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-10-16, 14:55

a: you mean breed? Well, that's the thing - atlanteans can breed fish, but other tribes cannot

b: I'm not sure, but I did not experience neither of those (widelands uses both cores and I didn't experience the slowness).

Edited: 2009-10-16, 14:55

Top Quote
jojojo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-10-16, 17:01

a: well, then its rather a feature than a bug. But still, if you run out of fish its pretty bad!

b: I just rechecked. Only one core is under full load and at 4x gamespeed it unplayable. Could you try this savegame and see if u got similar problems? http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=v014xbgbtqb

thx

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-10-16, 17:17

a: that's why there are hunters and gamekeepers

b: I doubt that it has to do anything with this - both cores where taking care of the load.

Top Quote
a_settler

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-10-20, 21:25

Hello, the usage of the CPU cores might differ with the operating system you use, there are alsodifferences between the different Windows versions how they spread a task to the cores and hyperthrading virtual cores. It is for examplepossible that a task runs all the time on one core, but it is also possible that this task is temporary running on one core, and then on another, changing again to the first, and so on. The question to the developer must be if the game was designed as single- or multithreaded. The second would be the better choice for multiprocessor systems.

Top Quote
stm

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-11-01, 20:45

I am using Vista and I currently play on my Core2 Quad PC. I can see in the task manager that every of the four CPU has to do something, but in the process list I can see that a maximum of 25% CPU usage is used by Widelands. That is a sign that Widelands is programmed as single threaded. Otherwise it could use more than 25%.

In my current scenery far away from any production, farm and mining activities, near the enemy's frontier I have build a warehouse. And currently all unused wares (specially wheat) go there, even if I have enough warehouses in the production areas (why?). I also have a lot of bakeries, taverns and beer brewer to supply with wheat, but everything goes to this warehouse. The roads to this new warehouse are crowded like ant roads, wares at every flag, even with three roads paralel, and the game is not running smooth anymore.

Other applications are running smooth and quick at the same time, as they have 75% of the system performance left.

Edited: 2009-11-01, 20:47

Top Quote