Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Scouts_hut Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 03:37

I'm working on the scout's hut remodel and I'd like to get your opinion on the design.

Here is the current model: o and the new one: n

I figured if the scout would build a tower, he'd want it tall enough to do some good. I also added a walking stick and some snowshoes outside the door.

What do you think? Any ideas for animation?

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 08:10

A nice animation would be if the scout climbed up the tower to look where he could walk before he starts his hike.

As an idle animation, have him relax in front of this house in a deck chair.

Edited: 2015-02-14, 08:10

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 10:33

I just now realize that the cross in player color is not really a cross - I saw it on the quarry first and thought - why a cross? face-smile.png

I like the higher tower. The building does not have a woking animation though I think since the worker leaves it for work. I could imagine that smoke could be in the idle animation - that guy is maybe cold when he gets home.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 10:51

The production program could be modified to include a working animation for the building as well if we want, couldn't it?

[work]
sleep=29000
animate=working 1000
consume=ration
worker=scout

Of course, the timing would need to be right.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 14:48

SirVer wrote:

I just now realize that the cross in player color is not really a cross - I saw it on the quarry first and thought - why a cross? face-smile.png

I put axe-shaped "geibelschmuck" face-smile.png on the roof of the farm but must have gotten lazy with the other buildings. I may revisit them.

I like the higher tower. The building does not have a woking animation though I think since the worker leaves it for work. I could imagine that smoke could be in the idle animation - that guy is maybe cold when he gets home.

and

GunChleoc wrote:

The production program could be modified to include a working animation for the building as well if we want, couldn't it?

Of course, the timing would need to be right.

I attempted working animation for the farm (just stopped the smoke, closed the door and removed the scythe because the farmer was supposed to be using it), but I couldn't get the building work animation to synchronize with the farmer. It would not start until the farmer's work cycle had finished. So I omitted the working cycle and run the idle animation all the time.

Now because the rest of the buildings I've done recently also have workers that leave the building to work, I have not attempted working animation. Of course I may have just coded the conf file incorrectly, but I just didn't find a way to get the building and worker's working cycles to synch.

If someone could discover a solution, I'd be happy to create working animation for these buildings.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 15:02

wl-zocker wrote:

A nice animation would be if the scout climbed up the tower to look where he could walk before he starts his hike.

That would be fun, but since we are currently limited to just one set of animation per building state (i.e. idle, working, sleeping, unoccupied) that loops, I think we would need to show the scout climbing, looking and descending. If we could just run the animation once instead of looping, I could leave him up in his tower until the next walk. I'll play with it though and see what we can do.

As an idle animation, have him relax in front of this house in a deck chair.

I like the way you think. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 17:49

"geibelschmuck"

It is "Giebelschmuck" in German, meaning gable adornment. It is pronounced "geeble shmook", with g as in gable and ook as in book btw.

I attempted working animation for the farm (just stopped the smoke, closed the door and removed the scythe because the farmer was supposed to be using it), but I couldn't get the building work animation to synchronize with the farmer. It would not start until the farmer's work cycle had finished. So I omitted the working cycle and run the idle animation all the time.

According to https://wl.widelands.org/docs/wl/productionsite_program/#animate, the following could work (not tested):

[work]
sleep = ...
animation = work 1 # I am not sure if zero works
worker = harvest
animation = idle 1 # depending on what happens afterwards

chuckw wrote:

wl-zocker wrote:

That would be fun, but since we are currently limited to just one set of animation per building state (i.e. idle, working, sleeping, unoccupied) that loops, I think we would need to show the scout climbing, looking and descending. If we could just run the animation once instead of looping, I could leave him up in his tower until the next walk. I'll play with it though and see what we can do.

Not tested:

[work]
sleep = ...
consume = ration # here if the scout should not do anything when there are no rations
animation = work 20000 # the length has to fit with the images. This would be the animation of the building, not the worker
animation = idle 1
consume = ration # here if the scout should always climb at his tower
worker = scout

Thanks. But I also like SirVer's idea: "I could imagine that smoke could be in the idle animation - that guy is maybe cold when he gets home." When the tribes have been ported to Lua, we could maybe combine them: It there is a terrain from the winter tab next to the hut, light a fire in the oven, otherwise, take a nap in a deck chair. You see, I am in a good mood today face-grin.png

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 19:21

Hi,

I think the "tower" should be bit bigger and house smaller, because now on glance it looks bit like a chimney. It is 'tower with house', not 'house with tower' - I think face-smile.png

Also look at this image: https://b.geolocation.ws/img/021/419/085-F.jpg

note how triangular the construction is (bottom is broader).

Also tower growing from roof is not very logical, but...

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 04:28

wl-zocker wrote:

"geibelschmuck"

It is "Giebelschmuck" in German, meaning gable adornment. It is pronounced "geeble shmook", with g as in gable and ook as in book btw.

I apologize for the misspelling. Thanks for the pronunciation help. Is the "G" always capitalized?

According to https://wl.widelands.org/docs/wl/productionsite_program/#animate, the following could work (not tested):

~~~ [work] sleep = ... animation = work 1 # I am not sure if zero works worker = harvest animation = idle 1 # depending on what happens afterwards ~~~

chuckw wrote:

wl-zocker wrote:

Not tested:

~~~ [work] sleep = ... consume = ration # here if the scout should not do anything when there are no rations animation = work 20000 # the length has to fit with the images. This would be the animation of the building, not the worker animation = idle 1 consume = ration # here if the scout should always climb at his tower worker = scout ~~~

Thanks. But I also like SirVer's idea: "I could imagine that smoke could be in the idle animation - that guy is maybe cold when he gets home." When the tribes have been ported to Lua, we could maybe combine them: It there is a terrain from the winter tab next to the hut, light a fire in the oven, otherwise, take a nap in a deck chair. You see, I am in a good mood today face-grin.png

Thanks for the conf file suggestions. I'll try them out.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 04:36

Tibor wrote:

Hi,

I think the "tower" should be bit bigger and house smaller, because now on glance it looks bit like a chimney. It is 'tower with house', not 'house with tower' - I think face-smile.png

Also look at this image: https://b.geolocation.ws/img/021/419/085-F.jpg

note how triangular the construction is (bottom is broader).

Also tower growing from roof is not very logical, but...

I was trying to preserve as much of the original model's features as I could in recognition of the original graphician's work. I'll create another model as a "tower with house" for comparison and see where that may take us.

Thanks for your comments!

I see little people.

Top Quote