Latest Posts

Topic: New roads

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 16:05

in continuation of the posts from here ...

Now i am on widelands version r7355-1. Here are first screenshots with 10 pixel wide roads:

Many terraintypes:

first

In a map:

second

The puddles of normal roads have some transparency, so they look different depending on the terrain. The busy roads are kind of straight ahead ...

Making the roadpatterns 10 x 128 pixel fits the best i think. This will prevend that transparent ends come together, when the road is in a straight line and more patterns are used to build the road. Otherwise the road looks in the middle kind of straitened.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 18:51

I think that looks great and they are good to see I think. Now having more than one different road texture for the non busy ones could add variations to the waviness.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-18, 22:35

I forgot to addd the road patterns. here they are:

The busy road pattern a bit different:

road_busy_empoire1.png

Two patterns for the normal road:

road_normal_empire1.png

road_normal_empire2.png

And a pattern to examine the overlapping of the roads:

averlaps_test.png

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-20, 11:31

For me the busy road is great, but normal... I don't know... I don't like the whave there. And what are the blue and green parts?

I'm not a hater, just I don't get the point of "normal road" pattern.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-20, 14:42

We've seen in the past how difficult it is to develop patterns for the roads that will show distinctly over the many different terrains without using some unnatural colors. Then one must also consider players who may be color blind and contrast then becomes a serious issue. I think kaputtnik has done a great job with his work.

+1

I see little people.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-20, 19:08

einstein13 wrote:

And what are the blue and green parts?

I thought of blue=puddles, green=gras (or maybe waste?) The blue parts are transparent so they look on snow terrain very bright (like ice or snow) and on dark terrain they look darker.

The waviness... yes it's a matter of taste. Maybe its too hard curved.

I found a graphics failure by this pattern. Look at the left picture. There you'll find some thin straight line "beside" the roads (best to see on top left road):

failure

To examine this i've made pattern which has a straight green line only on one side of the road:

testpattern (open this in another window to see the whole pattern)

The right picture shows the result of this pattern: The green line is only on one side, but there is a "shadow" of this line on the other side of the road displayed. So the straight lines on the left picture are "shadows" from the opposit side.

@sirver: could this "shadow" be elimanted?

I've also made two different busy patterns (maybe for babarians):

busy_babarian2 looks like:

busy_babarian

busy_babarian2 looks like:

busy_babarian2

Because normal roads are used to join buildings and first flag of building, they do not look great (at least for headquarters or buildings which are greater than small buildings). For babarians it's mostly ok, but the empire HQ looks really bad with a normal road in front of it. So some of these roads has to be edited too. I think the best way to do this is to edit the buildings and add there a piece of road to them. But this will result in greater images for the buildings... What do you think about that?

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-20, 19:25

1) I like the wavy normal roads.

2) I personally would not know how to eliminate the "shadow" line artifact other than modify the road graphic itself to mask it.

3) I would not prefer to edit all of the many building models/graphics to accomodate the approach lane from the building flag. -1 on that approach. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-20, 19:57

@sirver: could this "shadow" be elimanted?

Not sure. I cannot reproduce this shadow. I believe it is a sampling problem that comes back to numerical instability - I tried fixing this in r7362. Could you check if the problem is gone?

I think the first new busy pattern is not distinct enough from the roads and the second is too noisy. A middle ground would be best.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:14

How about making the roads attached to buildings use the busy roads graphic? Would that look better?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:25

I like GunChloec's idea. The approach to any building is going to be well used, and especially if the connecting roads evolve to busy roads. However, it may look out of place with llumberjack / scout / forester huts, etc. On the other hand the approach lanes are shorter than regular roads and may not be too distracting.

Edited: 2015-01-22, 15:11

I see little people.

Top Quote