Latest Posts

Topic: saved roads

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 11:12

I tried to make new road images...

Normal roads gets a border and some little puddles (which may have to be greater). Busy roads are plastered.

roads1

Original:

original roads

If you want to test these roads, you could download them:

They have to be stored in /usr/share/widelands/world/pics/(on linux). Please don't forget to make a copy of the original files.

If you want to edit them i give you a tipp: To get a feeling of what they look in game, Stretch the images horizontally 4 times so they get: height 64 width 256 pixels. This is because in game they are strechted too.

After editing, compress them to get the size of 64x64.

You have to close the hole game and restart to bring up your new roads (just load a savegame will do not work).

Have fun face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 13:23

Fraang, working on the roads is awesome! They are often complaints about them being hard to use. The ones you have right now look awesome!

I have some comments.

First: the road images do not have to be 64*64, they can be any size. Right now roads are drawn as 10 pixel wide rectangles. So an image of height 10 should display without resizing.

Second: if you want to make several road images for each tribe and/or for adding variations to the road I can build this into the engine rather quickly. Are you interested?

Third: transparency can be used to make the edges of the roads fuzzy which will probably look better.

Edited: 2015-01-13, 13:25

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 15:05

Aha! They look pretty good! I'd probably make the borders to minor roads a bit darker, though, so they stand out more. They're definitely better than what we have now, though.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 16:31

SirVer wrote:

Fraang, ...

I'm not fraang, but thanks for compliment face-smile.png

First: the road images do not have to be 64*64, they can be any size. Right now roads are drawn as 10 pixel wide rectangles. So an image of height 10 should display without resizing.

Ah, ok...

Second: if you want to make several road images for each tribe and/or for adding variations to the road I can build this into the engine rather quickly. Are you interested?

I will try that. Could you please explain "variations"? Depending on traffic or just randomly shown?

Third: transparency can be used to make the edges of the roads fuzzy which will probably look better.

Yes, but actually there is a little gap on hard roadedges:

roadgap

If we use transparent edges, this gap has to be fixed i think.

DragonAtma wrote:

I'd probably make the borders to minor roads a bit darker

Depending on the terraincolor it sometimes looks quite hard because the contrast is very high.

Edited: 2015-01-13, 16:35

Top Quote
flipflipsen

Version: 1.1
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 18:42

Hi, I like those roades. So I downloaded the pictures and copied them into

/usr/share/games/widelands/world/pics/(on linux)

When I start the game, I seelct a map, but when I want to start now, the game exits by itself.

I have the latest daily build Widelands bzr7348-201501121146(release)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 19:06

flipflipsen wrote:

Hi, I like those roades. So I downloaded the pictures and copied them into

/usr/share/games/widelands/world/pics/(on linux)

When I start the game, I seelct a map, but when I want to start now, the game exits by itself.

I have the latest daily build Widelands bzr7348-201501121146(release)

Please start widelands form a terminal. After the crash the terminal output should give some hints about whats wrong. Are the images in the folder shown in an imageviewer?

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 19:09

That's why making roads work so well is tricky; we need them to show up against all sorts of colors. Trust me, I tried it. XD

With the new roads, although certainly better, they blend in a bit with the tan-ish terrain (the not-green terrain touching the tower at the southern edge in your example), which is why I recommend having more contrast in the road itself.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 20:18

I'm not fraang, but thanks for compliment :-)

face-confused.png sorry. Do not know how I could misread the username of the post.

I will try that. Could you please explain "variations"? Depending on traffic or just randomly shown?

I was thinking random - so that there is more variations in (for example) the puddle.

Yes, but actually there is a little gap on hard roadedges:

roadgap

If we use transparent edges, this gap has to be fixed i think.

I think that is doable by overlapping the roads more and then drawing an "oval" form for the road.

DragonAtma wrote:

I'd probably make the borders to minor roads a bit darker

Depending on the terraincolor it sometimes looks quite hard because the contrast is very high.

It could help to have a dark "border" for the road and then a fairly bright border texture (or vise versa), then the road should be visible on most terrains, not matter if dark or bright.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 20:56

In r7349 I made the roads 10% longer in each direction and a now actually 10 pixels wide (was only 6 before). I also messed with the Alpha channel in the normal roads texture to make sure that this actually works. Let me know if you need additional changes.

Top Quote
flipflipsen

Version: 1.1
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-01-13, 21:04

Hereby the terminal output you ask for.

piet@piet-900X3C-900X3D-900X3E-900X4C-900X4D:~$ widelands Set home directory: /home/piet/.widelands Adding directory: /usr/share/games/widelands selected language: (system language) using locale nl_NL.UTF-8 Graphics: Try to set Videomode 1862x1022 Graphics: OpenGL: Version "3.0 Mesa 10.1.3" Graphics: OpenGL: Double buffering enabled Graphics: OpenGL: Max texture size: 8192 * GRAPHICS REPORT VIDEO DRIVER x11 pixel fmt 370546692 size 1920 1080 * END GRAPHICS REPORT [] Section [global], key 'inputgrab' not used (did you spell the name correctly?) SoundHandler: loaded song "music/intro_00.ogg" SoundHandler: loaded song "music/menu_00.ogg" Font file not found. Falling back to serif: serif Could not find file: could not find file or directory: i18n/fonts/serif Loading the world took 527ms Reading Elemental Data ... took 0ms Reading Player Names And Tribe Data ... took 0ms Reading Heights Data ... took 1ms Reading Terrain Data ... took 1ms Reading Map Objects ... took 6ms Reading Player Start Position Data ... took 0ms Reading (legacy) Bob Data ... took 7ms Reading Resources Data ... took 0ms Reading Map Extra Data ... took 1ms Reading Map Version Data ... took 0ms Reading Allowed Worker Types Data ... took 0ms Reading Allowed Building Types Data ... took 0ms Reading Node Ownership Data ... took 0ms Reading Exploration Data ... took 0ms Reading Flag Data ... took 0ms Reading Road Data ... took 0ms Reading Building Data ... took 0ms Reading Flagdata Data ... took 0ms Reading Roaddata Data ... took 0ms Reading Buildingdata Data ... took 0ms Second and third phase loading Map Objects ... took 0ms Reading Players View Data ... took 0ms Reading Player Message Data ... took 0ms Reading Objective Data ... took 1ms Reading Scripting Data ... took 0ms WidelandsMapLoader::load_map_complete() took 22ms Starting replay writer Game: Writing Preload Data ... took 1ms Game: Writing Game Class Data ... took 0ms Game: Writing Player Info ... took 1ms Game: Writing Map Data! Writing Elemental Data ... took 0ms Writing Player Names And Tribe Data ... took 0ms Writing Port Spaces Data ... took 0ms Writing Heights Data ... took 1ms Writing Terrain Data ... took 4ms Writing Player Start Position Data ... took 0ms Writing Player Message Data ... took 1ms Writing Resources Data ... took 4ms Writing Map Extra Data ... took 0ms Writing Map Version ... took 1ms Writing Allowed Worker Types Data ... took 0ms Writing Flag Data ... took 0ms Writing Road Data ... took 0ms Writing Building Data ... took 0ms Writing Map Objects ... took 7ms Writing Node Ownership Data ... took 0ms Writing Exploration Data ... took 1ms Writing Players Unseen Data ... took 2ms Writing Scripting Data ... took 12ms Writing Objective Data ... took 0ms MapSaver::save() took 39ms Game: Writing Map Data took 40ms Game: Writing Player Economies Info ... took 0ms Game: Writing Command Queue Data ... took 12ms Game: Writing Interactive Player Data ... took 0ms GameSaver::save() took 54ms SaveHandler::save_game() took 54ms Reloading the game from replay Game: Reading Preload Data ... took 0ms Game: Reading Game Class Data ... took 0ms Game: Reading Map Data ... Game: Reading Map Data took 1ms Game: Reading Player Info ... Game: Reading Player Info took 166ms Game: Calling read_complete() Reading Elemental Data ... took 1ms Reading Player Names And Tribe Data ... took 0ms Reading Port Spaces Data ... took 0ms Reading Heights Data ... took 1ms Reading Terrain Data ... took 0ms Reading Map Objects ... took 5ms Reading Player Start Position Data ... took 0ms Reading Resources Data ... took 1ms Reading Map Extra Data ... took 0ms Reading Map Version Data ... took 0ms Reading Allowed Worker Types Data ... took 0ms Reading Allowed Building Types Data ... took 1ms Reading Node Ownership Data ... took 0ms Reading Exploration Data ... took 1ms Reading Flag Data ... took 0ms Reading Road Data ... took 0ms Reading Building Data ... took 0ms Reading Flagdata Data ... took 1ms Reading Roaddata Data ... took 0ms Reading Buildingdata Data ... took 0ms Second and third phase loading Map Objects ... took 1ms Reading Players View Data ... Vision check successful for player 1 Vision check successful for player 2 took 8ms Reading Player Message Data ... took 0ms Reading Objective Data ... took 1ms Reading Scripting Data ... took 2ms WidelandsMapLoader::load_map_complete() took 28ms Game: read_complete took: 28ms Game: Reading Player Economies Info ... took 0ms Game: Reading Command Queue Data ... took 1ms Game: Parsing messages ... took 0ms Game: Reading Interactive Player Data ... took 1ms GameLoader::load() took 197ms Done reloading the game from replay Replay writer has started [sync] Reset ComputerPlayer(2): initializing (2) Forcing flag at (11, 12) Message: adding (wh) (warehouse) 1 Forcing flag at (65, 13) Message: adding (wh) (warehouse) 2 Fatal exception: [/build/buildd/widelands-18-ppa0-bzr7348/src/graphic/image_io.h:35] Image not found: world/pics/roadt_normal.png Game: Writing Preload Data ... Segmentatiefout piet@piet-900X3C-900X3D-900X3E-900X4C-900X4D:~$

Top Quote