Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: The Tipping Point Effect

wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 14:37

"Is the "vision range" of the building also the range where attack is possible?"

Yes, you can attack what you can see. If a scout walks by a military building, you can also attack (temporarily) that building although it was not visible before.

Soldiers are available in a certain radius around the attacked building (25 fields IIRC). All military buildings inside this area can send soldiers, independent of whether the building has a vision range large enough to see the building or not. It is only important that the building you want to attack is visible (not covered by fog of war) by another building, a scout, or a ship.

"Or is there anything I can do to get a better defense?"

The trick is to be able to mobilize more units than the enemy in the area where the battle takes place.

Since only 1vs1 battles take place, having hundreds of soldiers when the enemy attacks with few soldiers is not the best way, I think. It is more important that your soldiers are trained well. When your enemy attacks with dozens of rookies, your soldiers can kill them one by one, then retreat in a building to heal themselves. I once had a situation where two fully trained soldiers killed a whole untrained army (30 soldiers) of the computerplayer.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 15:21

"When your enemy attacks with dozens of rookies, your soldiers can kill them one by one, then retreat in a building to heal themselves."

I would almost agree, but the eroding effect of wave after wave can be devastating.

Top Quote
Cleeus
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 18:07

Is there a way to extract all these numeric constants (ranges, healing rates, building costs, ...) from the game in a nice readable way?

Top Quote
Cleeus
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 18:07

Is there a way to extract all these numeric constants (ranges, healing rates, building costs, ...) from the game in a nice readable way?

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 19:18

You can find them in the directory you installed WL: Widelands/tribes/barbarians/donjon/conf. Some have no explicit vision range, it is then a default value (conquers+4 or so).

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 20:23

You mean like https://wl.widelands.org/encyclopedia/. The vision is not there, but some other information, i.e. https://wl.widelands.org/encyclopedia/barbarians/buildings/donjon/.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 23:04

btw if you're looking for someone to play with online, the chat room at irc://irc.freenode.net/widelands often has willing participants.

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
Cleeus
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 23:42

O.K., another multiplayer game later ... Crater 1vs1 (very fun map btw (: ). Indeed, there was a pretty intense back and forth, once the initial/default soldier supply was dead and production/training rate became the bottleneck.

Tearing down military buildings before loosing them indeed makes a big difference. So it seems to be an AI weakness, if not THE major AI weakness.

Edited: 2013-11-03, 23:43

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-12-26, 23:08

I don't know what the anglistic Expression for that Matter in Math but in InfenitesimalCalculation exist known ... Lemmar? that if f'(x) grows faster than g'(x) then f(x) grows finally faster than g(x) if you have Trouble to determine that with f(x),g(x) directly.

Edited: 2013-12-26, 23:23

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote