Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Military Stalemate

LienRag
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-05-04, 21:41

I tried a random map recently with barbarians.

It was quite hard with a lot of mountains and snow, and also little wood, but I finally managed to have a full economy (with not a lot of iron mines, but still a few).

After a while I was able to discover the enemy second player, and even capture a tower of his.

This allowed me to build a fortress (and extend it to Citadel) just near him. The Citadel didn't extend my territory towards his, though, as I was already close to its Headquarters, if I'm correct.

After that I tried to attack his Headquarters, but though I had 300 recruits and 73 soldiers, I was only able to send 14 soldiers towards it. They were quickly killed by the 25+ enemy soldiers, and I didn't know what to do after that.

I tried to wage a war of attrition, but the citadel didn't replenish its soldiers quickly enough.

And it would have been a very costly war of attrition, since my 14 soldiers did not kill a lot of enemy soldiers, anyway. There was no space nearby to build other fortresses to raise the troop numbers, and I didn't find a way to send all my soldiers to attack at once.

It's unpleasant to find oneself in such an apparently intractable stalemate when it was clear that I had a territorial and economic victory...

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-05-04, 22:26

Hi, if you were really in an economic adavantage you should try to get only fully trained soldiers (heroes) to the front. This together with some patience should do the trick

Top Quote
LienRag
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-05-04, 22:31

Thanks.

How do I do that ?

I mean, I know how to train them (I had very little gold, though) but how do I get only the most trained to the front ?

Top Quote
LienRag
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-05-04, 22:37

Oh, and also : I've read that depleted mines have a 5 % chance of producing more ore; does that mean that all my depleted mines will produce at 5% of their capacity (which means that with patience, I can equip and train my army) or does that mean that 5 % of them will produce at a normal rate (and for how long ?) ?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-05-04, 22:47

each depleted mine will produce at a level predefined in theit definition. this is between 5 and 10% and can be found in the encycopedia.
this means every 10th or 20th attempt it might produce something.

you should set the milsite in question to mprefer heroes. evry other should be set to accept only rookies. and you need to make free soldiers available by reducing the garrison in safe places.,,

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.2
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-05-05, 03:33

The power of level 10 soldiers (ones maxxed out totally) is awesome. That's likely what you will need.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
LienRag
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-05-07, 02:52

hessenfarmer wrote:

each depleted mine will produce at a level predefined in theit definition. this is between 5 and 10% and can be found in the encycopedia.
this means every 10th or 20th attempt it might produce something.

Thanks.

Do they consume a ration at each attempt, or only on successful one ?

So do depleted mines produce 10 times slower than other mines, or do they also produce for 10 times the cost in rations ?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-05-07, 06:54

They do consume food and beverages on each attempt. So for a depleted mine you need a lot of those things without much gain.

Running a depleted mine is the last resort to get some ores.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Ron_of_Nord
Version: 1.2rc1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-05-10, 23:25

Another strategy that works is a pincer movement if you can move around outside the enemies area. this can involve taking the enemies smaller military buildings or warehouse. this works well when mines are not producing because you can target a weaker area and control the battles better. if you can, send 10 or more soldiers against small towers, outposts etc and capture them. as long as you send 5 or more, you are more likely to capture or destroy that building.This will allow you to expand your area toward your enemy.A very good strategy to take an enemies mines is to build towers as close as possible to them, take out one enemy building at a time which if it works allows your towers to expand your area over the enemy mines and destroying them once you control enough area

The aussies are coming, ya ho! ya ho!

Top Quote