Topic: A few words to build 17
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 18:13
Hey Guys :) Sry about my english :D First, i want to say, that it is really great to see, how much work and love you invest in widelands, the new Features and graphics are very nice (for example the ships). I think, build 17 will be great!
But now a few thinks, I dont understand/like:
1) Why the Foresters plant their trees in desert maps on infertile ground, so the saplings die? They arent very efficeint there!
2) Nice - the Games load faster an better now - but why you doesent begin to load all the graphics wenn widelands start? It costs allways time to configure your game with all the enemy tribes, the map... and why you clear all graphics, when a game, but not widelands is closed? Another game would be "ready" loaded, if you start it - or is it more complicated as i think?
3) The new graphics are more realistic (for example the fish, the iron ...) but I dont like it, that you see only "dark objects". Its not good, if you only want to see, as your mining economy works... all mining products are round dark stones with a few color... are my fishers busy and productive? - You dont see it so fast as before.
4) In Screenshots, the shades are transparent. 5) If i change the screen resolution and the colour depht, there happen scary things with the menu:
6) The babarian arena has a long text... on this screenshot, there is a collision with the other statistics:
7) If you want to save a game, there is allways the savegame on top of the list selected - why not the savegame, where I saved the last time? Or no game is selected? Because if you are careless, you save allways on the first savegame in the list.
Sorry about my terrible terrible english
Posted at: 2012-03-11, 21:25
glad you like the way widelands is developing!
I'll try to answer to some of you questions.
Foresters always plants a tree choosing the most suitable for the selected terrain, but in desert suitability for trees is not very high.
Do you have a screenshot for that?
I suggest you to check if a bug report regarding this issue exists on https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/ and, if not, please report it with as much detail you can (version, platform - linux, windows?, etc). Some good developer will surely check it
this is a know minor issue and has been discussed here. Basically, there's nothing that can be done at the moment other than shortening the translated text.
I think it can be inserted on bugtracker as a proposal. Feel free to do it by yourself, if you want.
Posted at: 2012-03-12, 10:02
I will try to answer some more questions.
What you suggest is a kind of "loading in the background while setting up the game" if I get you right. And yes, that is more difficult than you think because Widelands is currently programmed in a way that it cannot do anything "in the background". If you mean that the loading of all graphics (of all tribes) should be done before the main menu appears then I think it is not such a good idea. First of all you will have to wait much longer to see the main menu and second many graphics are not needed, when you don't play with all tribes. So these pictures would fill the RAM for nothing. Third I personally don't often play more than one game in a row, so the loading time would only be shifted and not shortened.
I have the same bugs on my system. 4) is a bug in the ATI/AMD (windows?) graphics driver. It doesn't happen on Nvidia systems. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/865508 5) was already reported in the bug tracker I think: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/647456. Its not exactly the same but a very similar one.