Latest Posts

Topic: New Port Buildings

PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 09:22

Tell me I am close with this one. (please)

I consider this 1a the best so far.

Philipp

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 14:28

A Possible Alternative

I have had an idea. face-smile.png We have a barbarian building that, to my knowledge, is used only in the tutorial campaigns presently. I'm referring to the interim headquarters.
IHQ

It is on my list of buildings that do not currently have a blender model. Its design seems a fine alternative to Port 1a and its name indicates its intended use as a storage and command post.

Does anyone object to using it as a design for the port building?

This particular image is sized for a Big building and has only the idle state and its player color mask. I could re-size this for use as a medium building for immediate use as the port, but it still requires a 3D model for any other animation.

So what do you think of this idea? Which would you prefer to see in the game as the port?
Port #1a bp1a or a smaller version of IHQIHQ

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 19:39

1a is the best in my view - and I really like it very much.
Everything about it seems just right.
I'd say got with this.
The IHQ has its own charms, but it somehow does not look like a building on a shoreline. Not sure why, but it just doesn't look right face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 20:09

Astuur wrote: The IHQ has its own charms, but it somehow does not look like a building on a shoreline. Not sure why, but it just doesn't look right

Yes, I know what you mean, not maritime enough. Maybe it's the partial palisade perhaps. face-smile.png

A (Silly) but Critical Question!!!

I implied in my post above that the port buildings are allotted a "medium"-sized plot, but that is an ASSUMPTION on my part.
I have just now realized (it took me long enough) that my assumption MAY be incorrect. The fact that the "big" build-help icon was originally chosen as the basis for the new port building type leads me to suspect that the port is actually allotted the same space as "BIG" buildings.

Will someone PLEASE confirm or refute this. I would REALLY like to know if I have more space than that to which I have been restricting the port models.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 20:17

chuckw wrote: Will someone PLEASE confirm or refute this. I would REALLY like to know if I have more space than that to which I have been restricting the port models.

yepp it's a special kind of big buildings. face-smile.png by the way I as well like 1a.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 20:22

Thanks, Peter! I may just have to do some "tweaking". face-wink.png

I'll abandon the IHQ option and push Port #1a.

Now, to WORK!! face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 04:56

Barbarian Port #1B (for BIG) face-smile.png

Now that I realize that we have more room to play with, here is the "tweaked" Barbarian Port #1a (to be known as "Port #1B":
Port #1B bp1b

Those are not the ship, but row boats in the picture. They are to appear as if they have been pulled up on shore or, if the scene is right, moored at the wall. face-smile.png

I reworked the stone textures for the pinnacle and the wall and relocated the pinnacle to the east of the building.

IMHO, I think we have our new port building!

What do you think?

Here are the player color mask bp1bpc and menu image menu if you wish to try them out for yourself. Use a hot spot of 67 77.

I will see what can be done to expand the other two ports. Build animation may have to wait for after Build17 at this rate. A week is not a lot of time, but I promise that I'll TRY to get something for a build. However, I'd rather have no build animation than sloppy, rushed graphics.

Do you share my enthusiasm for #1B? Comments please.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 05:03

For those who just want a snapshot of how Port #1B looks in the game, here is one:
Port #1B bp1big

Ooops! Looks like that boat is in the water! Now how did that happen? face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 07:40

well Chuck, no need to ask face-smile.png - I really can't wait to see this great new building in our repository.

thank you very much for another great piece of art!!! face-smile.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-08, 07:55

Hmm.. what made you shift the tower with the fire to the east?
I already see little people moving in the free space to the west
doing repetitive work. face-wink.png
That's an excellent example of clever placing!
Great work!

Can we have a big picture, pretty please face-grin.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote