Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: New Port Buildings

Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 12:28

My vote goes to Barbarian Port #1, i don't think the pinnacle to "unrealistic". Perhaps it can be modeled or textured like this : http://www.alpen-guide.de/m/image/db/23121.jpeg , to be a bit more realistic if needed.

Perhaps we should give the widelands engine the ability to handle multiple models per building and add a random factor to incoporate all those very nice models chuck is cranking out. I wouldn't mind to have them all ingame...

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 14:38

Shevonar wrote: I think the timber framing doesn't fit the barbarian tribe, because it is to modern and sophisticated as you say. The German Wikipedia says that timber framing came to Europe in the early middle ages. Before the post-built house was predominant. Maybe you can use something like this:...

and

Tino Wrote: My vote goes to Barbarian Port #1, i don't think the pinnacle to "unrealistic". Perhaps it can be modeled or textured like this : http://www.alpen-guide.de/m/image/db/23121.jpeg , to be a bit more realistic if needed.

Perhaps we should give the widelands engine the ability to handle multiple models per building and add a random factor to incoporate all those very nice models chuck is cranking out. I wouldn't mind to have them all ingame...

That's what I needed to hear and see to get me back on track. I get so excited about new models, that I sometimes need these little reality checks. face-smile.png

Tino, an extra thank you for that image of the stone marker in the alps. That looks like just the thing for the beacon fire.

So here is my plan.

• I'll put port#3 in storage for a possible future use somewhere. Nothing is wasted. face-wink.png

• I'll revisit port #1, rework the pinnacle into a large stone cairn

• and scale things up a bit while downsizing the scene.

(That's okay. I Think I know what I mean. smaller building - larger image) face-grin.png

Cheers!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 15:21

The timberframe was great, but indeed looked like a 2 centuries jump in craftsmenship. face-smile.png

It seems you've found a solution in the combination of things.... I'm very curious to see it!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 15:33

Personally, I'd prefer a fire on the ground or on a low pedestal. It should be at a little distance from the building and preferably (I don't know if this currently is possible in widelands) on the side towards the sea.

Philipp

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 16:02

The problem is, that a fire on a ground can’t be seen too far. That’s why everyone wants a beacon. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 19:50

Barbarian Port #1A face-smile.png

Tell me I am close with this one. (please) face-smile-big.png

Port#1a bp1a

What do you think? How can we make it better (aside from animation, that is)?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 20:28

Barbarian Port #1a Game Trial

Here is a shot of the building in the game:
bp1aIG

Here are some to try it out for yourself:
Edit: try a hot spot of 57 71

idle_00.pngbp1ai, idle_00_pc.png bp1apc, and menu.png bp1am

Let me know if you think it is ready or if it needs some more work. Thanks!

Edited: 2012-03-06, 20:58

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 20:43

PkK wrote: Personally, I'd prefer a fire on the ground or on a low pedestal. It should be at a little distance from the building and preferably (I don't know if this currently is possible in widelands) on the side towards the sea.

Yes, the beacon tower seems like over-engineering for the barbarians. (I sure do have nerve saying that after crafting the timber beam building.) face-grin.png

Unfortunately, for now at least, we don't have a mechanism for alternative graphics in the game. Don't give up heart, though, Philipp. There is Build 18 to aim for a better solution. face-smile.png Thank you for voicing your vision of this building. It may yet come to pass (after Build 17). face-wink.png

Cheers!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 20:52

All of these buildings, including everything in the game, is subject to future change. That is the nature of open source development. The collaborative approach we use, especially with the subjective nature of graphics, is bound to result in compromises within the creative process.

But, as I indicate, nothing is permanent. Tomorrow, or after the Build17 freeze face-smile.png , is a new playing field.

Cheers to all of you who participate in the quest of making Widelands ever better!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-07, 07:21

Very nice, chuck! Especially i like the barrels and the other stuff on the roof, that also sets it apart from the barrier building.

Top Quote