Latest Posts

Topic: New Port Buildings

Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 07:02

Late, but still face-smile.png
NOw that I see it, I agree, that 3d is best.
The horizontal step in the pedestrial helps to get some more light in there.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 14:14

Astuur wrote: Late, but still
NOw that I see it, I agree, that 3d is best.

I am glad that you concur. face-smile.png

Sorry to rush these into the game, but they are better than the place-holder graphics and the clock is relentlessly ticking down to 15 March and the feature freeze for Build 17.

For everyone's information, Tino has speedily compiled rev #6283 for Windows. It is available here for download. Thanks, Tino!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 20:45

Barbarian Port - First Draft

Like I have said, you have to start somewhere, so here we go with the Barbarian port.

My thoughts are as follows:

• The barbarians are practical.
  • While they may not build a beacon tower, they certainly would exploit any natural phenomena that might "spring up". face-wink.png Such rock formations are not uncommon at sea shores and I think the textures I have chosen for the bedrock and pinnacle should work acceptably in all of the worlds. If not, I know you will tell me. face-grin.png
  • In a foreign land, the barbarians would definitely be suspicious of their surroundings and opt for the strongest defensive position they can achieve. Even if it means they have to manhandle the wares to and from their ships.
  • Even at home soil they would wish to keep their wares safe at such a point of entry to their home soil.
  • They already know how to build the "barrier" building, so IMHO it would be natural to follow that basic design.

Port 1a1a

I intend to widen the building overall to exploit as much of the space that I can and give the barbarian port a good "capacity" for storage and housing. I will experiment with making the building tall enough to run some sort of foot bridge or simple plank or ladder to gain access to the beacon fire.

So, let me hear your impressions and suggestions please.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 22:09

The beacon rocks. face-grin.png

But I have some concerns: Though you say that the Barbarians would use natural phenomena, that beacon would have to be built like the rest of the port. Or do you already have an idea how you want to make the build sequence?

If you need another idea: I could imagine that they build a small tower (wood or stone or both) for the beacon.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 22:41

Venatrix wrote: The beacon rocks. But I have some concerns: Though you say that the Barbarians would use natural phenomena, that beacon would have to be built like the rest of the port. Or do you already have an idea how you want to make the build sequence?

Actually, I was just going to have the rock base and pinnacle "emerge" in the first build frame like some geological event. face-smile.png It's pushing credibility, I know, to have that miraculously appear wherever the barbarians wish to build a port. The building needs a strong foundation and I just don't picture the barbarians driving piles, but if the majority feel that everything that appears in the build sequence must be the result of human activity, I will comply with their wishes. (They are such good looking rocks, though, aren't they?) face-grin.png

If you need another idea: I could imagine that they build a small tower (wood or stone or both) for the beacon.

I'll try my hand at a man-made structure for the beacon (if you allow me to keep the bedrock base). face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-05, 23:08

In that case: +1 for rocks. face-grin.png

Unless you create an incredibly good looking man-made structure. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 02:59

Barbarian Port #2

Bowing to the logic that stone pinnacles don't spring up suddenly at the whim of a barbarian builder :), I reworked the beacon tower into something definitely man-made. Although, like PkK said in an earlier comment, it is unlikely the Barbarians would go to so much trouble.

At any rate, here it is:
Port #2 bp2

I have widened the building and added a third story and conventional, albeit MASSIVE, sod roof in an attempt to recapture some of the charm of the original barbarian warehouse. I even stoked the bonfire with some large logs.

While the tower is certainly distinctive, I think I would have built something on the roof of the building and eliminate the effort of erecting another tall structure if I were a barbarian builder. (Oh, I guess I AM!) face-smile.png

As an alternative to the log cabin look, what about a timber framed building with mortared walls? Germania has certainly been blessed with that style of architecture over the ages. I'll try to work something up to look at.

For now, I'd love to hear YOUR thoughts on how you feel the barbarian port building should look.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 07:16

Okay, some thoughts: The rock pinnacle is a problematic solution in my eyes, though it looks very nice graphically.
I don't think it would fit in every place where such buildings can go.
Wouldn't it look very much out of place on a sandy beach?
It is not so much the fact that rock exist there, but it is the shape that has no parallel in the WL worlds. There is no mountain with slopes so steep.
If you really want to go with this idea, the rock pinnacle could perhaps not look like coming out of the ground and being part of the geology, but rather like a huge bolder displaced by glaciers.

Still I think the second concept is the more promising one.
The timber tower seems far too massive for the function it needs to serve, though.
After all, it only needs to support a bowl and some spare trunks for feeding the fire.
Also it looks too inviting for any aggressor to climb up onto it.

Here is a third idea:
How about a platform jutting out from the base of the roof level and supported not with vertical trunks to the ground, but in 45° from the outer walls (similar to the way you have supported the roof over the furnaces of the Barbarian warmill).
If the supporting structure start out from the 1st floor level they could easily support something the size of your timber tower.
Cut its upper part as it is now and place it onto that platform.
A little footbridge could go from a cutting near the the roof top to this platform.
I think, the Barbrians would want to keep a permanent fire a bit separated from their main (wooden!) building.
For the same reason, a roof made of hardwood shingles may be better than grass.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 09:16

Astuur wrote: ...Still I think the second concept is the more promising one.
The timber tower seems far too massive for the function it needs to serve, though.

I agree. I didn't really like the tower idea from the beginning and I guess it showed in my product. face-smile.png

Here is a third idea: How about a platform jutting out from the base of the roof level and supported not with vertical trunks to the ground, but in 45° from the outer walls (similar to the way you have supported the roof over the furnaces of the Barbarian warmill). If the supporting structure start out from the 1st floor level they could easily support something the size of your timber tower. Cut its upper part as it is now and place it onto that platform.
A little footbridge could go from a cutting near the the roof top to this platform. I think, the Barbrians would want to keep a permanent fire a bit separated from their main (wooden!) building. For the same reason, a roof made of hardwood shingles may be better than grass.

What? You think the roof would catch fire? Where is your sense of adventure?!! face-wink.png

Okay, I'll rework the platform.

Meanwhile, ignore the tower in this next sample and tell me if this timber-frame building is suitable, better or worse than the log structure (with a different roof material, of course.)

Barbarian Port #3

Port #3 bp3

Oh, the striped panels on the beacon tower are supposed to be old, tattered sails. They are a device to add some player color to the model.

Is #3 too modern/sophisticated/"clean" for our barbarians? I could darken the daubing between the timbers. (And Yes, I placed each timber individually.)

So, let me hear what you think.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-03-06, 10:22

I think the timber framing doesn't fit the barbarian tribe, because it is to modern and sophisticated as you say. The German Wikipedia says that timber framing came to Europe in the early middle ages. Before the post-built house was predominant. Maybe you can use something like this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Ukranenland10.jpg&filetimestamp=20080118080738

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Pfostenhaus_Geschichtspark_B%C3%A4rnau-Tachov.jpg&filetimestamp=20110818090039

Top Quote