Latest Posts

Topic: Soldier retreat when defending military site.

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-18, 15:40

I don't quite understand under what conditions a soldier is allowed to retreat into his building when wounded (apart from the retreat level) and when he is forced to fight on until death.
Can somebody please explain that part of the rules to me?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-19, 07:07

If I am not mistaken, if the soldier wins a fight and his health is below a certain threshold he retreats. When above that threshold he will start another fight and might die.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-19, 07:19

That is clear so far, but it seems to me that in some cases, he is intercepted on his way home and engaged in another fight, and that is the part I don't really know about.

Edited: 2011-11-19, 07:19

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
borim

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-11-19, 09:52

For me it is a normal behavior when the soldiers see an enemy sneaking away, that they intercept him. But about the condition when they do it, I can only guess...

Top Quote
Personal_Joke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-19, 11:58

Sometimes when being attacked by multiple enemy soldiers I find that 1 of my soldiers might try to fight multiple soldiers before returning to the building, but sometimes they only kill 1 before returning. I've even had situations where a fully upgraded soldier will come out of my building and fight until death, taking down 6 or so non-upgraded enemy soldiers with him, instead of going inside and letting another soldier have a turn. Ofcourse i have no idea why face-tongue.png

Edited: 2011-11-19, 11:58

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-19, 14:21

Quite right, had the same issue with a fully trained, badly wounded soldier on his way home.
That is why I'm asking here. I mean, some one wrote that code, right ? face-smile.png

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 09:59

That stuff is kind of mysterious, and personally I feel that some of it should be changed. For example, how come that an attacking soldier can just decide to go home and not be blocked by all his comrades standing around? You see, normally soldiers block each other while walking, but if a soldier manages to survive and decides to retreat, suddenly he is no longer blocked. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 10:30

Most of this was raul ferriz work. He vanished into oblivion a while ago (that is the way of all earthly widelands developers - one day they are gone. There are rare exceptions of people who keep reappearing after being gone for long like ixprefect or sigra face-smile.png ). I agree with ixprefect: I personally feel that the fighting system must loose some of the randomess (for example with the defense: it feels random if a defender is able to get into the building to rest or have to fight again). I also agree that retreating soldiers should be "catchable". The current system favors the attacker very strongly if he has more soldiers than the defender (imho).

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 17:51

SirVer wrote: I also agree that retreating soldiers should be "catchable". The current system favors the attacker very strongly if he has more soldiers than the defender (imho).

This problem could be avoided by creating 'militia' on the defender side to oppose the number of attackers if they attack with more people. This militia should have very limited fighting capabilities, but it could help defenders to escape.

Don't know if that's possible with current lua events - I'm a bit out of sync with development face-wink.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote