Latest Posts

Topic: Game Play With Empires

Scottar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-13, 06:16

Single player mode:

These guys are ridiculous, they're like alcoholic, jaded Romans. They require so much infrastructure to support themselves it's no wonder they get their asses beat by the Barbarians.

One thing about the Empires, is no matter how much I build in farms and stuff, the training center doesn't produce any more soldiers, just upgrades them, even with the carrier built. What's up with that? And the training is real slow too.

Edited: 2011-11-13, 06:18

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-13, 07:05

Yes, they do need a lot of infrastucture.
That said, there are many players here to prove that they don't necessarily "get their asses beat by the Barbarians" face-smile.png

the training center doesn't produce any more soldiers, just upgrades them, even with the carrier built. What's up with that? And the training is real slow too.

..and that is what the training camp should do; no more, no less.
The creation of new soldiers is a little intransparent I admit.
Condition #1: a demand for soldiers must exist. That comes from military buildings not fully manned, or unstopped arena/colosseum or trainingscamps.
Condition #2: the basic equipment for soldiers must be available. In the case of the empire that is a helm (armorsmithy) and a wood lance (weaponsmithy).
They are transported to a warehouse or headquarters and given to carrier to make a soldier.

And the training is real slow, but that goes for all the tribes.
Solution: build more training camps.

have fun face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-13, 10:33

Heya,

These guys are ridiculous, they're like alcoholic, jaded Romans. They require so much infrastructure to support themselves it's no wonder they get their asses beat by the Barbarians.

The first and second place in the first widelands tournament were Empire players :). And in longer games, barbarians need a lot of infrastructure as well. The empire gets more stable in lategame, that is if they run, they run.

Top Quote
Scottar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-14, 00:59

Condition #1: a demand for soldiers must exist. That comes from military buildings not fully manned, or unstopped arena/colosseum or trainingscamps. Condition #2: the basic equipment for soldiers must be available. In the case of the empire that is a helm (armorsmithy) and a wood lance (weaponsmithy). They are transported to a warehouse or headquarters and given to carrier to make a soldier.

All that was there but they never seemed to upgrade in the time frame of the Atlanteans. Keep in mind this is in AI mode.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-14, 05:48

Hmm... Just an idea: Are you running your Arena/Colloseum and your trainings camp at full capacity?
If so, and you are not monitoring the soldiers's level closely inside the trainings facilities, it may only seem that nothing is happening, because no trained soldiers are available.
The reason is this: Both trainings locations upgrade all soldiers inside in synchronicity.
Example: A colosseum will first apply evade level 1 to all soldiers. Only if this is done, it will start with promoting the first soldier from Evade Level 1 -> 2 and release the first one.
A new soldier will be coming as a replacement, and again this one will be trained evade level 1 first, before the next one goes from 1 -> 2.
The trainings camps works similar, but is much, much slower.

By AI - mode you mean "against the AI", or "all players controlled by the AI! ?

Edited: 2011-11-14, 05:50

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Scottar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-04, 04:21

I have been torn away from the game due to other pressing things. Condition #2: the basic equipment for soldiers must be available. In the case of the empire that is a helm (armorsmithy) and a wood lance (weaponsmithy).

Damn, I missed the Weapons Smithy structure and was wondering about that since the Alanteans also have the same requirements. But the building icons are so similar.

I am still wondering why the mines seem to always stop production when they lack bread. I know that the deep mines need the upgrade on the taverns but it's hard to tell when the mines need more food or just really run out of ore. I have plenty of food stuff but still the Empire mines seem to run out earlier.

Another thing is the foresters seem to only plant one kind of tree and once the game is gone, it's gone.

AI, as in the game mode selection, artificial intelligence.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-12-05, 05:45

Oh well, happens face-grin.png
With the newer builds the empire weaponsmithy and armoursmithy are quite different - but you won't forget that again, anyhow face-wink.png
Empire normal mines: either bread, or fish or meat must be available and make a "ration".
Empire deep mines: bread and either fish or meat make up a "meal".
When mines have exhausted their resources you get a message - after that they still have a 5% chance to produce, but that's hardly worthwhile.

No, foresters plant different types of trees, but only the most suitable for the terrain will grow well.(I think)
Yes, animals don't multiply ba themselves. Barbarian can breed tham ,but the Empire must resort to piggeries.
And yes, AI is artificial intelligence, but that is too big a word. Currently it isn't all that intelligent face-smile.png

It would help, if you mention what version of Widelands you're playing, and on which operationg system.

Top Quote
Scottar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-06, 04:06

OK, the confusion on the weaponsmithy and armoursmithy is one is in the medium building menu while the other is in the large building menu, where in the Atlantean they are both in the medium building, sneaky!

The game I have is the bzr605 version.

Anyway I won against the AI Barbarians- aggressive mode. So I switched rolls and played Barbarians against the Empires AI-aggressive mode. I found some discrepancies from what the PDF file says is the structure building resource line. It says there's a weaver building for the Fernery farm. It doesn't exist in the building select.

Between the Atlantean and the barbarians you have regular mines to deeper mines. They both require the upgrade in Inn facilities. But what is ambiguous is if I upgrade from Inn to Tavern to Big Tavern will it still take care of the regular mining facilities when the dining facilities goes from rations to snacks or meals? Or do I need to have all levels to cover all levels of mines as one mine runs out and I have to start another? It get this constant message on the deeper mines that it continuously lacks meals to continue even though it seems I have plenty of wheat or bakeries. Could other buildings be taking those resources like the military emplacements?

Another question I have is sometime when I upgrade a mine it gives me the message that their is no miner available for that level of mine. And I don't see an upgrade in the occupier from regular to master level.

I know I have covered alot here but concerns the player experience and I can't seem to find a good site where this would be covered. all is needed is some kind of progress chart on how it goes. And I know that you guys need volunteers to help with game development but right now I don't have the resources to contribute especially where ambiguities exist. If I had a full paid version of Adobe I would be glade to make out a guide chart but right now I am financially stressed. otherwise I would contribute to the game somehow.

I could put together a RTF quick guide to clear up ambiguities for those who take the effort to learn the basics of the game. But sending it over analog lines is expensive and tedious except without graphics. Anyway I hope to make a good game better with my feedback.

Buy the way I won against the Empires with the Barbarians. The AI must be stupid. :>)

Top Quote
Scottar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-06, 04:06

oops, forgot operating system: Vista Home Premium.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-12-07, 08:29

Okay Scottar, sorry but I must be a bit quick this time....
Please take a look here
You see, there is something in the pipeline - and thanks for offering your help.
If you like you can take a closer look at my pdfs in that thread, and see if you can come up with some better wording or content.
This kind of help will be implemented (probably) attached to the individual houses or the wares' help. In any case it will be "in game".

The short answer to your question.

For Barbarians: mines (rations) -> deep mines (snacks)-> deeper mines (meals)

For perparing those it's tavern -> inn -> big inn (and each more advanced site will also prepare the "lesser" food)

For Empire: mines (rations) -> deep mines (meals)

and tavern -> inn. The empire inns _will not_ prepare rations anymore. So you will need to keep a tavern going, if you have some normal mines left still.

For Atlanteans: one sort of mines only (equivalent to the "deeper" variant)

No catering to the mines of prefabricated dishes, but "raw material" (smoked fish of smoked meat, bread - no beverage)

And yes, there is a requirement for all types of mines, as to the worker qualification. (see the pdfs)
Except for mines, food will also be needed at the various soldier training sites -- and wheat for producing sheep (wool->cloth) and beasts of burdon.(donkeys, oxen).

Hope it helps a little

Top Quote