Latest Posts

Topic: Ambiguity of Game Interface

Scottar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-08, 07:15

When I load a game map under single player option, an options interface comes next before starting the game.

Player type: I chose Atlanteans as the human player against the Barbarians in an aggressive AI mode. After that there is a 'Team' selection which I left blank on the first game, then configured both for 1 on a following game, and the last 2 games I just chose 1 team for the Atlanteans. I left the HQ in defeat medium. Type of game was autocrat in all cases or decimate your opponent to win. I have yet to find out what this team selections is for??? Map was Checkmate.

In the first game I cornered the Barbarians in the NE corner. But I could not attack them. For some reason the attack mode could not be invoked anywhere.

Second game I met them in the middle in the granite fields and they attacked my meager forces before I could build up forces in that quadrant. I later made a comeback and was able to defeat them past the DMZ.

Third game I ran up to the NE far corner directly and ran into their HQ. I tried to attack them with about 26 soldiers and got decimated. I quit and restarted the same game configuration.

Fourth game I had the exact same encounter but I built up my forces to 56 since they did not immediately attack my emplacements. I then attacked their HQ which hadn't even tried to expand and build up an infrastructure, it was just the HQ all by itself. The conflict was bloody but I defeated them and won the game.

So what's going on with the AI?

But the last recent game I played I set the game team to 1 on the Atlanteans configuration. I ran up to the NE quadrant as fast as I could. While I did that I tried to implement some infrastructure along the way without compromising the military advance. Those who want to try my scheme need to discover it for themselves to strategery.

I ran into the Barbarians two blocks beyond the stone field in the DMZ zone. I started building forces there. I sent a scout out who discovered that they had spread all along the northern boarder. I started expanding out from the stone field while building military buildings there. I started building the big Castles.

I was in the process of building one near a fortress when the Barbarians attacked one of my little guard facilities. They took it over. I tried taking it back and some of their sentries. They would continue to attack and deplete my forces. So I retreated and let my forces build up while continuing to build infrastructure and military buildings discriminately. They tried to take over weak spots on my defense line with some temporary success.

After some more skirmishes I started gaining in numbers. I then hit them at a major fortress area. they folded. I continued to advance and build the castles or guard buildings. I finally got the upper hand, the Barbarian forces had been so depleted from previous battle that taking over sectors was a no sweatie da advance.

So the game was working as it should. the thing is understanding how it works.

Fisheries: In order for the fishers to work you must first find lakes where they are stocked. If they are not there then the fisher guys won't get any. On fish farms you need to first get the fisher guy going and then start them next to them. You won't see them producing right off but eventually they will.

Mines: They more mines you have the more producing farms you need and hunters can add to your meets stock early in the game where you don't yet need infrastructure, preferably next to woods or where you see lots of game activity. Then you will eventually need a smoker going.

The output of the mines depends on much produce flowing of bread and smoked meat of both kinds. A efficient production network also helps. so you may need 4 to 5 corn fields followed by 2 to 3 blackroot fields. You may need 2 mills and bakeries to keep-up with demand.

One bug I puzzle over is the mottled red icons here and there. The tutorial say o the rock type icon there are granite for (Barbarians), marble (Empire), crystal (Atlanteans). So your supply of stone is the rock outcroppings for Altanteans is the rock outcroppings, which I find strange. So once you have depleted your resources of stone then you must manage your building so you won't run out of stone which every building needs. . Have fun and in case you don't succeed the first time analyze and try again. And I think you will find following games don't exactly repeat themselves. If you can draw up the map that would help for analyzing and planning.

Top Quote