Latest Posts

Topic: Several newb questions

Lechium

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-09-27, 11:28

I read a lot in the wiki and the forums and played the tutorial and barbarian campaign but there are still a few question marks over my head.

-I had a lot of problems with enhancing buildings as they often were not occupied afterwards. As i understand this is a bug and is fixed in the developement version now. Just to make sure, there is no need for trained [b]external[/b] workers when i upgrade a building, right? This was a hassle to build only to train workers for upgrades.

[u]Barbarians - Military[/u] -[Correct me if i'm wrong] When i build an axe factory it will only produce for demand. I can choose to increase the stock of axes which are used for making new soldiers. -Soldiers are made in the warehouse with an axe. Will it only produce soldiers with the basic axe or also with better axes? -Helms play only a role in the training camp, right? -Are all soldiers (warehouse and buildings) being trained in the camps? -I can not manually produce soldiers, right? Only by building more military buildings and exceeding the stock of soldiers new ones will be produced. -I can't seem to find a way to globally finetune military presence like it was possible in S2. Is there no such function?

[u]Mines[/u] [code] [aihints] /coalmine mines=coal mines_percent=30

[aihints] /deep coalmine mines=coal mines_percent=60

[work] /coalmine sleep=45000 consume=ration animate=working 20000 mine=coal 2 33 5 produce=coal:2

[work] /deep coalmine sleep=42000 consume=snack animate=working 18000 mine=coal 2 66 5 produce=coal:2 animate=working 18000 mine=coal 2 66 5 produce=coal:2 [/code] I'm trying to understand the code. What exactly does "mines_percent" and "coal 2 xx 5" mean? How many seconds is 20000? Will every ration/snack produce 2 coal units?

[u]General[/u] -I know there is by intention no balance in production. But i would like to know if someone experimented. Assuming 100% e.g. 1Farm->1Bakery or 1Brewery or 1Oxes 1Well->1Brewery/Oxes 1Hunter->1Gamekeeper And so on. There has to be some guidelines or is everyone building blind?

Thank you for any help! And btw thanks for the cool game!

Edit: Oh, sorry. Just imagine this forum has activated html face-grin.png

Edited: 2011-09-27, 11:35

Top Quote
Lechium

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-09-27, 12:01

I found an answer for the first two military questions in the German forum http://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/3011/

Soldiers are only produced with the basic axe. The other axes are used in the training camp. But nevertheless the training camp is still a bit of a mystery. Who is training in it? Do i need only one? Are all available soldiers trained to the first level and only then further?...

edit: i didn't look very hard. You can already see who is training in the camp atm.

Edited: 2011-09-27, 13:52

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-27, 13:40

Hi Lechium,

-I had a lot of problems with enhancing buildings as they often were not occupied afterwards. As i understand this is a bug and is fixed in the developement version now. Just to make sure, there is no need for trained [b]external[/b] workers when i upgrade a building, right? This was a hassle to build only to train workers for upgrades.

generally you do not need external trained workers, but you must take care to only upgrade a building, if the current worker already reached the next level (needed for the enhanced building).

However even with the development version it may occur, that your trained worker is no more available, once the enhancement is finished. E.g. you upgrade a normal mine to a deep mine, while there is already another mine waiting for a worker (which is neither avialable, no producable) - the trained worker of your mine you are going to enhance will answer the request for a worker and occupy the yet unoccupied other mine...

This problem is planned to get fixed through a "throw worker out" button in future versions (not yet implemented).

-Soldiers are made in the warehouse with an axe. Will it only produce soldiers with the basic axe or also with better axes?

only with basic axes.

-Helms play only a role in the training camp, right?

right

-Are all soldiers (warehouse and buildings) being trained in the camps?

no, only the soldiers inside the trainingscamp. if you want to have strong soldiers on the frontier you have to manually take care about it (we know the "manual take care" part is is suboptimal and are already planing to fix this in future, but for now you have to throw out the soldiers of a militarysite (by clicking on their icon) and have to hope, that a better soldier takes their place...)

-I can not manually produce soldiers, right? Only by building more military buildings and exceeding the stock of soldiers new ones will be produced.

Yes + if no more soldiers for training are available (all already highest level) and therefore the trainings sites (battlearena, trainingscamp) are requesting new soldiers.

-I can't seem to find a way to globally finetune military presence like it was possible in S2. Is there no such function? .

no and it is not planned (yet)

I'm trying to understand the code. What exactly does "mines_percent" and "coal 2 xx 5" mean? How many seconds is 20000?

mines_percent -> mines up to xx percent of resources that can be found in the mines working area mine coal a b c -> try to mine a items of coal as long as not b % of total resources are already mined, with a chance of c % to find some resources although more than b % of total resources are mined (or there are no more resources anymore)

the time values are milliseconds in a 1x speed game, so 20000 means 20 seconds, if you run widelands in 1x speed, or 5 seconds, if you run it in 4x speed.

Will every ration/snack produce 2 coal units?

the answer is above - if the mountain still contains more coal than the b value, yes - else only with a chance of c %

There has to be some guidelines or is everyone building blind?

blind is the wrong word face-wink.png - however it is hard to write definitive values. E.g. if there is only meadow ground, you can build 1 forester and 2 lumberjacks and all three should run on 100% most of the time, but if there is some steppe, mountain or sand terrain, quite some of the trees might die after being planted, therefore 1 forester would not be enough same applies to farms, if the do not have enough space, etc. ...

So the answer is: just try face-smile.png

No fear you will quite fast get a feeling how to build up a good working economy.

Cheers Peter

Top Quote
Lechium

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-09-27, 13:53

Thank you very much. This definately helps.

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 13:53

Nasembaer wrote: mine coal a b c -> try to mine a items of coal as long as not b % of total resources are already mined, with a chance of c % to find some resources although more than b % of total resources are mined (or there are no more resources anymore)

I think it is not 100% correct: if I read correctly the code it should be:

mine items of coal in the area A tiles away from the production site as long as not b % of total resources are already mined, with a chance of c % to find some resources although more than b % of total resources are mined (or there are no more resources anymore)

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-28, 14:32

I think alocritani is right.

A deep mine of the Empire or of the Barbarians does e.g. does

animate=working 18000 (Barbarians: 16000)

mine=coal 2 100 5 (Barbarians: 2 100 10)

produce=coal:2

animate=working 18000 (Barbarians: 16000)

mine=coal 2 100 5 (Barbarians: 2 100 10)

produce=coal:3

The production is two or three pieces of coal.

The atlantean mine does

animate=working 20000

mine=coal 4 100 5

animate=working 20000

mine=coal 4 100 5

animate=working 20000

mine=coal 4 100 5

produce=coal:3

That means it procudes two, two and three pieces of coal.

The working range of an Atlantean mine is bigger, that is the first parameter. About the other parameters: 100=100%=all ressources sounds logic.

Edit: I looked up in the help.lua-file of the Barbarians: The third parameter (here 10) is indeed the chance when "everything" is exploited.

As all links (http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1011/?page=1#post-7611 and http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/903/?page=10#post-7613) show to this page, I decided to answer here. It had not been necessary to ask three times the same question ;-)(although it is good to clarify that).

I hope I understood the conf files correctly.

Edited: 2012-03-28, 14:38

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
eastwind
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-09-23, 13:28

If you reduce the number of soldiers in your training camp the soldiers will go to the nearest warehouse. If you then reduce your soldier count in your front line military building your soldiers will also go to the nearest warehouse. Increasing the training camp count will then take a mixture of trained and untrained soldiers. As a last move, increase the count in the front line building. This will then provide you with some soldiers that have been trained.

I think soldiers do go to the training camp automatically from time to time, so the above process is then redundant.

I use the training camp to quickly fill my military buildings with trained soldiers when the building is first completed.

EastWind

Hi guys, EastWind here. I am a fan of Widelands. I have started my own website promoting the game with a link to this site.

Top Quote