Latest Posts

Topic: AI Stops expanding

Freak_Nigh

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-23, 08:48

The AI seems to stop expanding after a certain point.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-23, 09:09

I see this often.
I don't think that there is a common cause when this happens.
The AI still is not clever enough for all situations.
This usualy means that the AI cannot cope with a problem (deadlock)
Sometimes it is due to a severe traffic jam and may repair itsself after a while.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Freak_Nigh

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-23, 09:36

Well really it's happened every game for me. I can look at the in game statistics for all the players and there is always more less quickly a solid line for land growth etc.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-23, 11:43

It's not that common for me.
Which map are you playng?
I'd suggest you have a look at the replay and see what the AI is doing.
You should be able to pin down the problem.
If you are playing randomly generated maps (from the editor's feature) you must
always keep in mind that such maps may stop any expansion at certain points.
I that is the case, then simply correct the map manually.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Freak_Nigh

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-23, 12:06

Well it was worst on the last map I played which was a big greenland 4 player map. However either way, they always go silent as if they quit after awhile. By the time I got to the other two they were totally tree infested. The nearby AI obviously just quit after attacking me twice and was always tree infested.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-25, 18:50

Which map was this?
The tree infestation will always happen, if the lumberjacks stop their work.
Have you looked in the replay?
Was there a traffic jam?

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-28, 16:57

I played a map the other day (the Far North; 128x128).
I played Empire Hardcore against AI Barbarian Headquarters medium.
There I discovered the same thing (AI no more expanding after some time)and
looked into the replay to find out the cause. Here is how I read the replay: (Hopefully correct)
It showed that the AI for the Barbarians (agressive, in fact that matters) had
forgotten to build a fernery.
The situation occured that the AI was ugrading the the metalworks to axefactory (needs 1 thatchreed)
and later axefactory -> warmill (needs 1 thatchreed) and could not finish either. I cannot tell, why the AI did not build a fernery at least then. Fact is, it didn't for the rest of the game.
So the barbarians were left with no means to produce new axes for soldiers, and it could not expand any further
because of the lack of soldiers.
The AI controlled lumberjacks seem to stop working when there is no demand for trunks (in contrast to player controlled ones).
Since no further expansion occured there was almost no demand for trunks and the
woods reconquered the landsscape that the AI had cleared before.
This may well be the same bug, that you are reporting.
I tried twice to reproduce this in multiplayer mode (me as spectator), but it did not happen there.
The AI always built a fernery in time.

Unfortunately there is not yet any gametime display in replays and also no coordinates display
Therefore I can only tell you that the buildings are close to the north-western border of the
Barbarian realm. (monitor the experience points in the working axe factory! - upgrade happens shortly afer the blacksmith becomes Master).
You cannot step back in a replay.
The replay is quite big,(12,5 MB) since I played it on a machine with no other work and did never exit for
2 days or so..
If you are interested, you can download it here
but I will not leave it there for ever for space reasons.
I have not seen this behavior before, but I do not often play such a long game against a barbarian AI.

Edited to give a better indication when to slow down the replay

Edited: 2011-06-28, 17:35

Top Quote
Freak_Nigh

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-07-04, 10:47

This really eventually happens with all the games I play. And considering the super massive economy nature of this game, I can't even peek the soldier production before the AI already gives up.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-04, 11:35

You should play multiplayer with others than face-smile.png Maybe there will be another widelands tournament soonish.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-07-27, 17:22

There's a play day this coming Saturday!

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote