Latest Posts

Topic: Is it "winterworld" or "arctic world" ?

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-18, 20:39

I am still occupied with the editor UI, and how it could be made fit
for all kinds of additions that might be coming in the future. Not that I could actually do any programming, but Sirver is at it,
and he might welcome some additional suggestions.
I was thinking about what species of animals would be nice to have
and how to sort them for the critter picklist, and how they suit into the worlds, when I realised an inconsistancy:

We have

Greenland

Greenland is clearly a land with moderate temperature, moderate to high precipitation (I guess face-smile.png ) and fertile soil. Central Europe could have been the model.
Clearly it is a climate zone and defined geographically.

Desert

Desert is an arid world with high temperatures. There is currently not enough wildlife there to really tell,
whether "Northern Africa" or" Central Australia" is a better candidate for a model.
Obviously, it would be nice to know, if dromedaries or kangaroos should be populating the Desert world, or Camels, maybe?
In any case it is also a climate zone and so geographic.

Winterland

As the name implies, it's not a geographical or climate zone, but a season of the year.
So I am asking: Are we going for "Greenland (ours!) in Winter", or rather "Greenland" (the RL one) as it really is?
Well, not really Antartica-type, for lack of trees, - but the terrain types are called "taiga" and "tundra" and that points again more to a subarctic geographic region than to a season.
Making this an arctic world with walruses and polar bears would be more in line with the other two worlds, but should find a graphical equivalent in the choice of trees and animals.
Sooner or later we need a decision on that.

Blackworld

I like that one very much, although it still is a bit empty.
It seems to be designed as fantasy world, less realistic than the others with room for trolls, elves, unicorns, dvarves and orcs.
Just look at the phantastic (both meanings face-smile.png ) trees there! But even if that is so, do we really want to make Mordor out of it?
Do we need that kind of muddy, stinking water there? I for one, would rather choose Lanzarote as model than Mordor!

Tropical djungle anyone?

Yep, that's missing. Some sort of tropical environment. Hot and damp with abundent life forms everywhere.
Might be nice.

It is not a purely graphical topic, so I did not want to place it in the graphic forum.
Among other things, we need the programmers' expertise to tell us, whether we will not kill Widelands, with some more scores of critters and a hundrets of animation pictures.
(I found out lately that my machine gave up on a 512x512 map, 8 economies after 12 hours gametime for hunger of RAM; 3GB was not enough).

But most of all it is a choice for those that love the game and play it regularily - much depends on personal taste here.

And finally this is also a call for help. We need more contributions from artist to fill the worlds that we have ... not to mention new ones.
I have never considered myself an artist, and still don't, but I have found out lately that with some effort, even I could contribute a little.
So, if any of you out there, can lend a hand, .. please do.

For now, let us start with your opinions on the how our different worlds should evolve.
I am eager to get your views!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-06-20, 08:53

Astuur wrote:

Desert There is currently not enough wildlife there to really tell, whether "Northern Africa" or" Central Australia" is a better candidate for a model. Obviously, it would be nice to know, if dromedaries or kangaroos should be populating the Desert world, or Camels, maybe?

I would leave the decision of location up to the creator of the map. So I think, each wild animal is okay and it doesn't matter which part of our earth it comes from. There may be a situation when I want to have the map look like the Australian desert, in another situation Gobi, Sahara, Kalahari, etc. At the moment, widelands does not imitate existent geographical regions and I don't know whether they are to come. However, I would like their creation to be possible. So we need of course more animals and immovables and maybe also terrains from everywhere on our earth face-smile.png But the map creator has to decide, which of them he/she finally uses.

Winterland

Same as with desert.

Tropical djungle anyone? Yep, that's missing. Some sort of tropical environment. Hot and damp with abundent life forms everywhere. Might be nice.

Nice idea! face-smile.png Although, I guess it would be a challenge.

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-06-20, 09:03

It would also be nice for the different world types (greenland, winterland, etc.) to be combined. So that in a defined part of the map (e.g. the northern part) I could use winterland while using the desert in another part (e.g. the south) and greenland inbetween.

For the landscape objects (immovables and animals), this should be no problem - but maybe for the terrain?

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-21, 06:31

You're right, of course -- a lot can be left to the intentions of the mapmaker!
The limitations currently are not critters and immovables (I think you can have as many of them as you like,)
but the terrain types, that are at the moment limited to 16 only.
With a set so small, you may have to decide between types of desert.

It may indeed be a good time to try and overcome this limitation!
But it may make a new design of the Editor even more complicated.

See also http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/437

Edited: 2011-06-21, 06:32

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-06-30, 20:48

I (at least) have thought about Winterland as an area in the middle of winter, instead of an arctic area. Most of the animals there are animals you would spot if you venture far enough into the woods, which I think is fitting. (Technically speaking, badgers and a couple of others would probably be hibernating, but I'd rather have a larger selection of animals for variety than just a few for realism.) I really think that is up to the map maker, if the scenario is set in the winter or on a tundra or recreating the race to the South Pole (:p).

It seems to be designed as fantasy world, less realistic than the others with room for trolls, elves, unicorns, dvarves and orcs.

Hm, I'm not sure how well all of these creatures fits with the rest of the "Widelands-universe", but I do like Blacklands. Most of the animals are (in addition to being living creatures walking about the world) intended as prey for the hunters. I'm not sure trolls fit my image of prey and it would just be sad to see unicorns hunted down. We could definitely use that setting for a lot of cool things, I think it's just a matter of what fits with the rest of the game.

Edited: 2011-06-30, 20:48

Ships!

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-01, 05:43

I concluded the idea of "fantasy-like" mostly from that half-human-shaped trees carrying lights.
BTW: who did them - they're great -does anyone know?
Creature do not have to be "huntable" (conf configurable).
And I agree that orcs, trolls or unicorns would not seem right for that.
Any opinion about the "muddy waters" question?

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-07-03, 11:04

Astuur wrote: I concluded the idea of "fantasy-like" mostly from that half-human-shaped trees carrying lights.

I thought the lights were some kind of flower or fruit, but we can have illuminating flowers, can't we?

BTW: who did them - they're great -does anyone know?

The trees were added here (If you have the source version you can use the command "bzr blame filename" (or "bzr praise" or another alias) to see who last edited the file and the revision number. This is more useful with textfiles, where you can see who last touched each individual line, you still get the information for images as well.)

Creature do not have to be "huntable" (conf configurable). And I agree that orcs, trolls or unicorns would not seem right for that.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. We just have to make sure the game keepers don't make new unhuntable creatures otherwise the map will be crawling with trolls after a while. Though the same conf setting may take care of that?

Any opinion about the "muddy waters" question?

I am not sure if I see your problem with having darker, muddy water. Could you please elaborate? The way I see it, it is easy to identify as water, and I think clear, blue, sparkling water would look more out of place. I think I remember reading something on the wiki, that Blackland was supposed to be some sort of twisted alternate dimension (there may be some overlap with my initial impression of the world, though, so I'm not sure if that is the 100% official version).

One thing I really like with Blackland is that it looks significantly different from the other worlds. This is the only place where the trees, stones and waters look different than in the other maps, which I think helps create a different environment or atmosphere. Oh, and I really like the giant mushroom trees. face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-07-03, 11:05

Ships!

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-03, 15:58

Thank you for the link to the blackland trees --- seems to be Alexia Death's work, then.
Absolutely great stuff! Too bad, she did not tell us whether it's light or fuits.
Lights was just my idea -- I may be very wrong face-smile.png

What barbarian gamekeepers releases, is specified in D:\Games\Widelands\tribes\barbarians\gamekeeper\conf, whereas the "attrib=eatable" is with each animal, for instance: D:\Games\Widelands\worlds\greenland\elk\conf

HJD wrote: I am not sure if I see your problem with having darker, muddy water. Could you please elaborate? The way I see it, it is easy to identify as water, and I think clear, blue, sparkling water would look more out of place. I think I remember reading something on the wiki, that Blackland was supposed to be some sort of twisted alternate dimension (there may be some overlap with my initial impression of the world, though, so I'm not sure if that is the 100% official version).

If you can't see my problem now, all my attempts to further elaborate will be fruitless face-smile.png
This color is just ugly! and it kills all joy I may otherwise have strolling around in Blackland.
There is indeed no real problem with it, just a matter of taste.
And I wanted to emphasize, that volcanic origin does in no way justify that sort of color.
So -- no ally in sight face-sad.png , it seems. Oh well...

One thing I really like with Blackland is that it looks significantly different from the other worlds. This is the only place where the trees, stones and waters look different than in the other maps, which I think helps create a different environment or atmosphere. Oh, and I really like the giant mushroom trees.

My hope is that in the long run this may change. I had created a differently colored set of quarry stones for all the worlds. It is not too difficult to also do a differently shaped set. It is different with animated stuff thought, as this is much more work.
As for the water, there are other ways to be different than opaque and olive.
I agree about the mushroom trees, though that idea does not fit into a usually arid, volcanic environment too well, and would better suit into a damp, dark, rotting djungle (like the water).

Top Quote