Latest Posts

Topic: Automatic wordlwide waterlevel?

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-15, 19:17

I am wondering whether an water (i.e. "ocean") is really something that should be an editable terrain.
I think an automatism that would fill an altitude profile up to a configurable level with an auto-leveling ocean, and so automatically form a shoreline, would be nice to have.
I know, that we then will need something else for waters inside of a landmass (rivers, lakes, ponds ect.), but perhaps it could be possible.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
alankauesellfeld

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-05-15, 20:45

como fasso para jogar?

alan

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-05-16, 11:03

alankauesellfeld wrote:

como fasso para jogar?

Hi alan and welcome to the widelands forum! If Google translated your question right ;), you want to know how to play widelands. At first, you should download and install the game on your computer - this is not a browser game. After installing, you can simply start it. Maybe, you will have to change the game to your language via the options menu. Then, I recommend playing the tutorial ("Joga o Tutorial") which is the uppermost button in the game's main menu. As Portuguese is one of the quite well-translated languages, you should be able to quickly become familiar with the game face-smile.png

Please also consider to write English posts in this forum, because not everyone here is likely to understand Portuguese face-wink.png Or do you speak German, Spanish or French? Then, you can use the corresponding sub-forum. I'm sorry that we do not have one for your language...

Good luck! martin

Edited: 2011-05-16, 11:09

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-17, 16:02

To reply to the original post: I think of water as not being different in any ways than others. Using scripts it is already quite easy to relevel all water tiles. And finally, I can pull out the "realism" argument that I find so invalid for games to use it myself for once: the oceans are not level on the earth.

Also, the automatism that you suggest is not so easy to implement in widelands: I faced this problem with the first atlantean mission. You basically have to decide if a triangle should be water or land while you only have the three corner points height defined. If you do this after some heuristic (e.g. 50% of the area of the triangle is below water, so it should be water) you get zig zags at the border that look strange.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-17, 16:56

SirVer wrote: And finally, I can pull out the "realism" argument that I find so invalid for games to use it myself for once: the oceans are not level on the earth.

You're not going to program tides into WL, are you face-smile.png

Also, the automatism that you suggest is not so easy to implement in widelands: I faced this problem with the first atlantean mission. You basically have to decide if a triangle should be water or land while you only have the three corner points height defined. If you do this after some heuristic (e.g. 50% of the area of the triangle is below water, so it should be water) you get zig zags at the border that look strange.

The old problem: See my new sig ... So that a "no" and it's okay. I had hoped that --- to the opposite, of what you say -- it might form nicer (more irregular) coastlines.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote