Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Few skilled vs. many unskilled Soldiers

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-25, 08:57

I remember vaguely that this has been discussed before, but I cannot find any trace of it here or with the bzr wishlist.
Sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate, no nagging intended - I wonder if any decision has been made on this suggestion.

The question is: How can I influence early (for each tribe) whether I want more soldiers or rather the existing ones better trained?

I have found no decent way to do it.

Of course you can do that by editing the corresponding conf file for the weaponsmiths, but that can hardly be the standard method.

The production of different weapon types is controlled by the demand that comes from the training facilities. Due to the fact that the "evade training" will be much faster it is this that usually triggers the creation of new soldiers, but you cannot stop the site, because you want your existing soldiers trained in evading, too.

I have tried to increase the over all skill level of my soldiers by building more training sites for Attack, Defense and hitpoints.
It seems to work. But you need about 4 of this facility for one Evade training site.

To maintain so many sites at 100% you need a huge iron producing industry with may mines and consequently many farms etc.
So this is no option for an early state of the game.

However you want to have well trained soldiers at an early state, because this is the answer to an aggressive (AI type) enemy -- especially with smaller maps.

I think the player should have control over this ratio. (I call it a recruiting rate.) It is one of the most basic strategy decisions in the game.

So -- and this would be my game suggestion---- Can we have a slider-like control, that can limit the rate of newly created soldiers independent from the demand?

Edited: 2011-02-25, 17:54

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
aber

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-26, 00:31

I was thinking, maybe we could allow the the target quantity to go to zero inside the Economy options and stop the production.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-26, 07:00

That would probably be the easiest way to do it, but again an on/off type solution that you'd have to micro-manage.
Normally you do want some new soldiers -- just not all that many.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Warnuf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-02-26, 19:14

Perhaps one could introduce a feture to limit (upper and lower limit) the levels of soldiers a building accept. With a limit over 0 the building would not request the creation new soldiers. Further you could distribute your soldiers to the different buildings more easily. So if you set (for example) the limit for all your military sites to at least 9, for your battlearena to at least 1 and your trainingscamp to 0 you would only get new soldiers when the battlearena has finished the training for one soldier, while they would be further trained at the battlearena until they go to the military buildings. The point of the upper limit is to enable the player stoping high level soldiers to go to military buildings in secured areas.

I'm not sure whether it was a good idea to let the player even specify the levellimits for each ability, perhaps to just allow soldiers with evade at least 1 to enter.

And of course the limits should only apply to requests of new soldiers and not throw out soldiers which are allready in the building.

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-03-25, 22:14

I don't know if this is an solution but i handle this for some better trained soldiers this way (tested Barbarians):

• build the Battle Arena and Trainingscamp
  • regulate the number of soldiers for the buildings:
    • Battle Arena (Evade): all possible (evade goes fast up)
    • Trainingscamp (all other categories): 2 or 3 soldiers (goes fast up and if one leaves another is there to be trained)

Hope, this helps and i haven't revealed to much of my strategy...

LAZA

BTW: Wonderful and very helpful new explanation picture: http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/SoldierLevels/ - Thanks alot!

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote