Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Tournament 2022

hessenfarmer
Avatar
Joined: 2014-12-11, 23:16
Posts: 2283
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Bavaria
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 15:54

WorldSavior wrote:

@hessenfarmer: It's not a big deal. I'm sorry for writing about the map problem in the forum instead of simply asking you in a private message. Thanks for your efforts.

no worries. In the end you had a point and i am most unhappy about my situation that is not allowing me to cope with my own standards. However I hopefully may use the weekend to prepare round 3.

tothxa wrote:

It's so small that I don't think any other than autocrat makes sense. We just have to make it impossible to block, then it can be a nice speed-game.

I disagree: I think that autocrat doesn't make sense because you cant expand beyond the middle island.

Well due to the limited space maybe collectors might be an idea. Alternatively we could use the Win condition from last years tournament as I can#t guarantee that collecters is balanced within tribes. On the other hand if collectors is not fully balanced choosing the correct tribe might be a key to win and is considered part of the gameplay.


Top Quote
tothxa
Avatar
Joined: 2021-03-24, 12:44
Posts: 235
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 16:27

hessenfarmer wrote:

Well due to the limited space maybe collectors might be an idea. Alternatively we could use the Win condition from last years tournament

Would it be peaceful to not allow it to become autocrat in the end anyway? In that case we could delete the entire middle region from the map to make sure neither player can grab more land and the resources with it. Otherwise the outcome would be determined by the first 30 minutes or so. However, such a game would be just solitaire that could be just as well played by everybody alone, and only compare replays.

as I can#t guarantee that collecters is balanced within tribes. On the other hand if collectors is not fully balanced choosing the correct tribe might be a key to win and is considered part of the gameplay.

The problem I see with collectors with this small map is that it would basically mean that the players would have to get out the last bit of resources from their territory, but we cannot guarantee that the two islands on the map have the same amount of everything. 10 heroes may be OK though, because you probably don't need all resources to get them.


Top Quote
Seefahrer
Avatar
Joined: 2022-04-29, 18:24
Posts: 28
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 16:42

@hessenfarmer: I really don't think that you caused any trouble or that you failed in anything! I understand why you're feeling like this, but you had done nothing wrong, so there's not really a reason to feel bad about the own work. Please don't resign as tournament organisator, we need you! face-smile.png I don't think that anyone would want that, and I think that you can see in WorldSavior's recent words to you, that this is not a thing what he was suggesting.

@WorldSavior: Thank you for your recent words. :-) I understand that you would really really like so much to get to know all the tournament maps, but sometimes things just takes time and sometimes more time, and although waiting may feel hard, staying nice doesn't cost a thing. face-wink.png

@tothxa: Thank you for working on the map in trying to make it balanced/fitting for the tournament. face-smile.png


Maybe we all could just forget about the recent unnice things and instead of being frustrated just enjoy that we all together can play that tournament of this wonderful game, that is so great! face-smile.png

Suggestion to make us able to relax and to win time and to put away the time stress: I understand that it was/is favoured to have for the tournament "new" maps which had not been used in previous tournaments before. But if at the moment it is a bit difficult to find unused maps with which all participants can agree to, then why not just picking a map used before but which is clearly balanced and to which all can easily agree to as at the last time that map was used? (yes, it would not be that exciting, but the main reason for the tournament is just play-testing that game version face-smile.png ) So, if it maybe would be decided to announce a well-established balanced map from a previous tournament for the upcoming round 2 starting next week, then this would lift off the time pressure of us by now. Then we would have one week additional time to see whether Inselkrieger could be transformed into a balanced map version for round 3 - or, if not, we would have time to together suggest/see/talk about/check which other map could be used for round 3 (and after that decision, which map for the other rounds). But of course that's only a suggestion. face-smile.png


Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Avatar
Joined: 2014-12-11, 23:16
Posts: 2283
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Bavaria
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 22:54

@Worldsavior
I just don't get why you should not be able to expand over the middle island. why not just fighting the way through?


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1991
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 23:41

hessenfarmer wrote:

@Worldsavior
I just don't get why you should not be able to expand over the middle island. why not just fighting the way through?

In the original version, all you can build on the middle island is a medium building. That's not enough to reach the opposite island. So if your enemy doesnt let you conquer any building, you cant reach his territory. The HQs are out of attack range too.

Seefahrer wrote:

@WorldSavior: Thank you for your recent words. face-smile.png

You're welcome

I understand that you would really really like so much to get to know all the tournament maps, but sometimes things just takes time and sometimes more time, and although waiting may feel hard, staying nice doesn't cost a thing. face-wink.png

It was not my intention to be not nice. I realized too late that public criticism was a bad idea.


Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Avatar
Joined: 2014-12-11, 23:16
Posts: 2283
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Bavaria
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 23:45

WorldSavior wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

@Worldsavior
I just don't get why you should not be able to expand over the middle island. why not just fighting the way through?

In the original version, all you can build on the middle island is a medium building. That's not enough to reach the opposite island. So if your enemy doesnt let you conquer any building, you cant reach his territory. The HQs are out of attack range too.

What about using scouts to attack? However I think on the new version Territorial Lord might be interesting. I nearly lost against the ai with this because I used a tribe less suiotable then the ai.


Top Quote
tothxa
Avatar
Joined: 2021-03-24, 12:44
Posts: 235
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-09-09, 01:22

I tweaked a little the obstacles for the castles and added still some more spots to the concentric diamond shapes. After some quick testing I'm now quite satisfied with it. I'm attaching the latest version here. If accepted I'll rename it to Tournament version and upload it. (Yeah, I know, an addon could have been updated.)


Attachment: Inselkrieger_mod2.wmf.zip (8.7 KB)

Top Quote
tothxa
Avatar
Joined: 2021-03-24, 12:44
Posts: 235
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-09-09, 01:22

And here's the screenshot of the new middle region:

inselkrieger mod2 middle

Edited: 2022-09-09, 01:23

Attachment: insel_mod2.png (642.0 KB)

Top Quote
Mars
Joined: 2009-03-28, 10:26
Posts: 97
Ranking
Likes to be here
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2022-09-09, 08:20

The game Mars vs the-x is scheduled for tomorrow, 21:30 CEST.


Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Avatar
Joined: 2014-12-11, 23:16
Posts: 2283
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Bavaria
Posted at: 2022-09-09, 11:29

tothxa wrote:

I tweaked a little the obstacles for the castles and added still some more spots to the concentric diamond shapes. After some quick testing I'm now quite satisfied with it. I'm attaching the latest version here. If accepted I'll rename it to Tournament version and upload it. (Yeah, I know, an addon could have been updated.)

please upload the map


Top Quote