Latest Posts

Topic: Adding wares/workers to expeditions

WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-02, 12:28

It's nice that one can add additional wares and workers to expeditions. There is a problem though: This requires a lot of micro management because of the user interface.

I suggest to consider to make a different interface: It could look very similar to the economy settings interface. A table of workers/wares where you can select icons by clicking or drawing, and then you can configure the numbers (zero by default) with the help of plus / minus buttons and see the numbers... The ware table and worker table could be combined to one big table. The wares / workers could be sorted like in the inventory, not alphabetically.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-02, 12:39

WorldSavior wrote:

It's nice that one can add additional wares and workers to expeditions. There is a problem though: This requires a lot of micro management because of the user interface.

I suggest to consider to make a different interface: It could look very similar to the economy settings interface. A table of workers/wares where you can select icons by clicking or drawing, and then you can configure the numbers (zero by default) with the help of plus / minus buttons and see the numbers... The ware table and worker table could be combined to one big table. The wares / workers could be sorted like in the inventory, not alphabetically.

+1 from me as the scrolling interface is really hard to use.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-02, 13:01

I had considered that when designing the interface but I decided against it because it has several drawbacks:

• It might be harder to see how many free slots you have left.
  • Where would we put the indicators how many items of which type are present, coming, or missing?
  • The window is already quite large, and would become so huge that it will not fit on the screen any more.

Provide a mockup that solves all these issues (and fits the screen at 800×600) and it'll probably get implemented

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-02, 13:06

What about keeping the current slots. and openeing an inventory like window to select the ware/worker from, to get rid of the long scrolling list which consumes a lot of time and is hard to use. so we would only have to clicks per slot. One to open the window and one to select the ware/worker?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-02, 13:25

Good idea face-smile.png
Will be hard to implement though
https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4842

Top Quote