Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Limit number of wares per warehouse

MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-06, 23:52

One thing I liked a lot about Siedler and that I miss here at Widelands is a general ware limit per warehouse. From a logical point of view alone, it makes no sense to be able to deposit an endless number of wares.

It would also encourage the AI to build more warehouses. In my current use of the Europe map, where I only let the AI play alone and am a passive viewer myself, the AI players only built 1-2 warehouses each. This results in very long transport routes and the economy is quite inefficient and slow. Especially since the AI sets the roads and flags very strangely and does not network.

Edited: 2020-09-06, 23:58

My widelands project: https://github.com/widelands/wl_addons_server/tree/master/addons/europeans_tribe.wad

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 01:45

Suggestion:

127 limit per ware for port 255 limit per ware for warehouse or 1023 limit per ware for headquarter

or global ware limit

4095 limit for port 8191 limit for warehouse 32767 limit for headquarter

My widelands project: https://github.com/widelands/wl_addons_server/tree/master/addons/europeans_tribe.wad

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 09:16

-1 from me. I consider it a feature that you can store any amount of wares in warehouses. Such a change would force me to either micromanage all my wells, woodcutters etc, which I currently just let run always so I amass huge amounts of water, logs etc; or to keep a permanent eye on my stock load and build new warehouses all the time. And the latter would actually make transport necessarily much worse because unneeded wares (like masses of water) would have to be brought to a far-away warehouse when the closer ones are full. So micromanaging everything to avoid choking roads everywhere would be the only doable option then. No thanks.

If the AI builds too few warehouses, that could and should be solved by tweaking the AI's weighting decisions. Introduce such a restriction would not cause the AI to behave differently – it would need to be adjusted anyway.

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 09:32

If you have too much water or wood, you can just tear down excess wells or woodcutter huts. For me that is not an argument. I just want this feature implemented in the source code. You can use them in different ways in the tribes. As far as I am concerned, you can also switch that in the starting conditions on and off.

I would like to use such a limit for my Europeans.

Edited: 2020-09-07, 09:34

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 09:44

If you have too much water or wood, you can just tear down excess wells or woodcutter huts. For me that is not an argument.

Exactly my point – I'd have to spend time and effort to dismantle or stop buildings which I can currently just let run indefinitely. I don't see how forcing me to do that would improve the game.

If it's an option that is set by the scripter for each building type individually, why not. But this should not be used to change the official tribes. You could open a wishlist issue for that, but complicated features that are not meant to be used in the official game are not every developer's highest priority…

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 10:07

-> https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4232

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 10:13

And if all existing warehouses are full for this specific ware - would the ware accumulate on flags or how would it behave?

Also beware that wares can be distributed evenly across warehouses that have higher priority set for particular ware. This might mitigate the problem.

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 10:23

Tibor wrote:

And if all existing warehouses are full for this specific ware - would the ware accumulate on flags or how would it behave?

Also beware that wares can be distributed evenly across warehouses that have higher priority set for particular ware. This might mitigate the problem.

If all warehouses are full, the production should be stopped. So you would have to install a kind of overflow buffer. I.e. if a ware item is currently being transported or produced while the threshold value is reached, it will of course still be stored in a warehouse.

It is quite clear to me that the target_quantity has the same effect. You could also see it that we introduce an upper limit for the target_quantity set by starting condition. (Based on the number of warehouses built.)

Another possibility of implementation is that the warehouse automatically imposes an acceptance stop that is otherwise set manually as soon as a certain threshold value has been exceeded. From my point of view, the latter would even be the most elegant way, as you don't have to change the game mechanics much. You only use one function that the player would otherwise manually trigger automatically.

Edited: 2020-09-07, 10:33

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 10:58

MarkMcWire wrote: If all warehouses are full, the production should be stopped.

But this is not how it is now, is it? Corner case - if there are not warehouses (incl. port and headquarters) all production should be stopped?

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 11:08

Tibor wrote:

MarkMcWire wrote: If all warehouses are full, the production should be stopped.

But this is not how it is now, is it? Corner case - if there are not warehouses (incl. port and headquarters) all production should be stopped?

Yes.

Top Quote