Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: How to avoid blocking / being blocked by allies

blind3rdeye
Avatar
Joined: 2020-03-26, 08:47
Posts: 46
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-04-26, 07:48

In the attached screenshot, grey and green players are allies. (I'm grey, my AI ally is green.) As you can see, things got slightly messy in the centre area. I'm trying to push north into red's territory, but I can't connect my newly conquered land because there is a slither of green territory cutting it off. Similarly, green is trying to push north-east into yellow territory, but they are also unable to do that properly because there is a slither of my territory cutting it off!

So what should we do here? Ideally I'd to give the small amount of land to green to allow them to get through, and for green to give me the land to get through to my enemy. (Actually, I know that green is going to struggle to defeat the foe - so, it's probably best if they just got out of the way and let me handle it...) But I don't know of any practical way to achieve that. The only way I can think of is to destroy a few of my own military buildings so that green gets the territory; and then either let green win the game for me, or hope they get beaten back enough for me to reclaim the entire corridor properly!

To avoid these kind of problems, maybe there should be a way to request that the AI dismantle a building... or a way to give land, or share land, or maybe even a way to break the alliance so that I can just attack my old ally!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

shot0001.png

Edited: 2020-04-26, 07:51

Attachment: shot0001.png (3.6 MB)

Top Quote
teppo
Joined: 2012-01-30, 09:42
Posts: 395
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-04-26, 11:00

blind3rdeye wrote:

To avoid these kind of problems, maybe there should be a way to request that the AI dismantle a building... or a way to give land, or share land, or maybe even a way to break the alliance so that I can just attack my old ally!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The ancient sun of fire is prone to this. Apart from this a nice map though.

The easiest solution while playing is not to team with immediate neighbours on this map. It would also be possible to modify this map a bit, so that large military buildings are not possible in the place where they cause most harm like this. Should this map still be modified this way? If yes, then before build 21 or after it?

A longtime solution would be that land sharing between allies works differently. Not via first-grab, but so that the one with more military power would grab land, even if ally has military influence, too. This would effectively allow one to steal some land from an ally.


Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Avatar
Joined: 2014-12-11, 23:16
Posts: 1340
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Bavaria
Posted at: 2020-04-26, 11:25

teppo wrote:

blind3rdeye wrote:

To avoid these kind of problems, maybe there should be a way to request that the AI dismantle a building... or a way to give land, or share land, or maybe even a way to break the alliance so that I can just attack my old ally!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The ancient sun of fire is prone to this. Apart from this a nice map though.

The easiest solution while playing is not to team with immediate neighbours on this map. It would also be possible to modify this map a bit, so that large military buildings are not possible in the place where they cause most harm like this. Should this map still be modified this way? If yes, then before build 21 or after it?

A longtime solution would be that land sharing between allies works differently. Not via first-grab, but so that the one with more military power would grab land, even if ally has military influence, too. This would effectively allow one to steal some land from an ally.

Nice idea.

for the current problem another solutions is thinkable. wait some (probably long) time. I believe there might a chance the AI dismantles not connected Military buildings after some time. so you might hope for the green sentry being dismantled. But I am not sure about this.


Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Avatar
Joined: 2020-03-26, 08:47
Posts: 46
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-04-26, 14:23

hessenfarmer wrote:

for the current problem another solutions is thinkable. wait some (probably long) time. I believe there might a chance the AI dismantles not connected Military buildings after some time. so you might hope for the green sentry being dismantled. But I am not sure about this.

That did work. I disassembled my tower and fortress so that green could get through their corridor; and I turned the speed way up. Green's isolated sentry disappeared, I was then able to eliminate red; and green was able to eliminate yellow. So, it worked out alright in the end. (The game was effectively won already, but I like to get closure on these things...)

In the long run I do think it would be good to have a more reliable solution though. I guess it doesn't have to be perfect though, since the main problem is relatively rare.

Edited: 2020-04-26, 14:23

Top Quote