Latest Posts

Topic: Long term fun in Multiplayer Matches [Poll)]

JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-03-03, 11:14

king_of_nowhere wrote:
say you start by making rocks, then you make contact with the opponent, oh, he made papers, you lost. oh, he made scissors, you won

Naw, I guess it doesn't need to be that strict. More like scissors win against papers that are two levels above them, but are still defeated if papers are three or four levels above. In theory such system could be designed in a way that you don't automatically loose just because your opponent picked the right counter-class.
But this one would be a really, really big change to the game and quite a lot of codework, I guess. Nevertheless it would not reduce any importance of military aspects of the game, so even if I am not against the idea, I would prefer codework to be applied to some other parts of the game (trading system, pathfinding stuff, win conditions or adjustable parameters for different game mechanics for example).

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-03, 12:00

Nordfriese wrote:

no. either people will make untis of all three types, so there is still equilibrium. or the first promoted unit both players make will decide victory. if we call the three kind of soldiers rocks, papers and scissors for simplicity, say you start by making rocks, then you make contact with the opponent, oh, he made papers, you lost. oh, he made scissors, you won. since you have to take that decision well in advance, without knowing what the enemy will make, there is absolutely no skill going into the process.you would reduce this game to a single toss of the dice.

Perhaps it's not necessarily be like that. If I understood the-x's explanation (in german) below the poll correcty, this is somewhat similar to how they do it in Wesnoth: Heavy infrantry wins against skeletons, who win against necromancers (well sometimes…) who win against heavy infantry. If the change propsed here is to be similar to that system it could be a very nice improvement to the game.
Only downside is that I have absolutely no idea how anything like this could be actually implemented.

most strtegy games do something of the sort, but it's a completely different combat mechanic. fights are masses, and you can move around your units to try and engage to your advantage. here you cannot. fights are 1 on 1, you have no control over them, can't try to get the right soldiers to fight.

JanO wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:
say you start by making rocks, then you make contact with the opponent, oh, he made papers, you lost. oh, he made scissors, you won

Naw, I guess it doesn't need to be that strict. More like scissors win against papers that are two levels above them, but are still defeated if papers are three or four levels above. In theory such system could be designed in a way that you don't automatically loose just because your opponent picked the right counter-class.

if you are anywhere close to your opponent in skill, your troops won't have two levels on him.

even if it is toned down, i see no way it would improve the game. it just does not mesh with this game's combat system

Top Quote
Solstice_s_Return
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-03-03, 19:59

king_of_nowhere wrote:

most strtegy games do something of the sort, but it's a completely different combat mechanic. fights are masses, and you can move around your units to try and engage to your advantage. here you cannot. fights are 1 on 1, you have no control over them, can't try to get the right soldiers to fight.

That is exactly the case here. S3 did that and at least I never liked it as much as S2. It was just like all other rts:s but with a settlers flavor and the essence mostly vanished. While S3 was praised at the time it got published, there may not be many players wishing for a remake. So let's not do this. If there's a need for a change here, I can put together a reasonably detailed plan of my suggestion about wear and tear so that you can chew it and tear into pieces.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-03-04, 07:01

I have an idea which might improve the game. In one sentence: Add wear and tear factor to military equipment with an appropriate bunch of its repercussions. If someone is intrested, I can start an another topic to explain the whole idea.

I'm interested face-smile.png

Top Quote