Latest Posts

Topic: Healing soldiers by medicine

LennStar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 18:14

To make war more economy based face-wink.png und to have an influence on the speed of advancement:

soldiers get only slowly healed in war buildings. (And only to 80%?)

To get healed fast (100%) they need medicine.

Medicine is produced in the healers hut (or doctor for the empire), who plants herbs. Then a) a soldiers can get ordered to go there and heal (micromanagement) or b) medicine is transported to the war buildings, nearest to frontier first. The max. number of medicine in the war buildings is determined by size.

Edited: 2010-05-03, 18:15

"Scratch any cynic and you’ll find a disappointed idealist."

Top Quote
hulagutten

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 18:43

Excellent idea! A drawback could be that it would be better to swap the soldiers in a building with a fresh one instead of healing.

Top Quote
LennStar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 19:49

If the way is short enough and the soldiers trained - why not? Thats normal behavior for a battle. Fresh troops or whatever you want to call it face-wink.png

Of course, thats the perfact time for an attack.

Edited: 2010-05-03, 19:50

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 08:49

Slightly related: There once was an idea to have healers in the military building. You can still find traces of this in the conf files. Large ones were to hold more healers than small ones. The healing rate of the soldiers was to be based on the number of healers in the buildings. This was before I discovered WL and I don't know any details about it. It seems the idea is currently on hold, may be abandoned.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 15:00

Hello!

Healers / Medics are on hold by now, to be honest I'm not sure, but I think that I was first who propose the idea. We are not sure if healers will be alive. Original idea was that soldiers only can be healed on militarysites, and only if there are a free healer to heal them. The more healers, more soldiers are healed at same time.

This idea seems is totally abandoned by now. May be at a future a new aproach will arise. I do not like healers walking into battles and healing soldiers, I prefer have an Hospital, Chaman Hut, or something like and send injured soldiers to that building to be healed, and on military sites only can heal up to 50% of full life.

Please discuss this and proposea blueprint when enough people has said his point of view.

See you.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 17:06

To be honest, I like it the way it is. I think adding healers would only needlessly complicate things, and I don't know what's good about it (besides Yay, another building! or whatever).

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 18:54

Healers were my idea originally. I am not so found of them right now, because I think military is already too important. I'd like to focus on game concept that are competitive but focus more on the economics of widelands. The new win_conditions system is in place, just the new win conditions are plain stupid at the moment. Actually I think, we should rip the healers code for now. Adding it back is no problem and having dead code around is not wise.

II'd very much see two player gaming and team gaming bloom, because I think trading could be an interesting way to measure how good players are.

Top Quote
LennStar

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 20:53

Adding helers would decrease the importance of military, as you need more buildings to be effective at attacks.

Would you generally be prefer more civil buildings? I have a few ideas, just polising them a bit until the weekend (where I have time to write them understandable ;))

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 21:29

LennStar wrote: Adding helers would decrease the importance of military, as you need more buildings to be effective at attacks.

But it would enforce the military aspect even more.

Would you generally be prefer more civil buildings? I have a few ideas, just polising them a bit until the weekend (where I have time to write them understandable )

no, not just generally more buildings, I am quite happy with the complexity of the tribes concerning the current game mechanics (science and seafaring will obviously add some more buildings). I am looking for more win conditions: ideas to make a game against a human interesting by involving each other with the other player and still have one clearly defined winner (or winner team) at the end.

Edited: 2010-05-04, 21:29

Top Quote
hulagutten

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 22:32

I like the way you think SirVer. I agree that the focus should be on this side of the game at the moment.

Top Quote